Options

Organizing galleries

bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
edited December 28, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Somthing seems odd to me. When I go to organize galleries it brings up a page with all galleries, not just those in a specific category. What's up with that?
"A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me

Comments

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2005
    bham wrote:
    Somthing seems odd to me. When I go to organize galleries it brings up a page with all galleries, not just those in a specific category. What's up with that?
    More of a smugmug support issue.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2005
    bham wrote:

On your homepage, if you are displaying "galleries" then when you go to organize, you'll see ALL galleries.

on your homepage, if you are displaying "categories" then when you go to click on a category, the next screen will give you all the galleries in that category. Then you can organize by most recent or position.

Lots more info here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/arrange-albums

I hope this helps,
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    On your homepage, if you are displaying "galleries" then when you go to organize, you'll see ALL galleries.

on your homepage, if you are displaying "categories" then when you go to click on a category, the next screen will give you all the galleries in that category. Then you can organize by most recent or position.

Lots more info here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/arrange-albums

I hope this helps,
    Unfortanetly you can't position organize at the category level, only organize all galleries. I got the answer in an email. Thanks though, maybe one day we will be able to, until then the more time consuming way.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2005
    You CAN get the categories and subcategories in the order you want, but you have to understand how it works...headscratch.gif

This comes up every week, check out my comment here to get your homepage to look right... The layout of your smugmug page (categories, subcategories, galleries) is dictated by the order of the galleries... ALL the galleries. eek7.gif

The reason this comes up every week is because the way it works is not the way everyone expects it to work.... The fact that you have already organized your galleries into categories and subcategories will be of no help when you have to sort the galleries...umph.gif

I've had to organize by position all of my galleries in such a way that mimics the way they are organized in categories and subcategories, MANUALLY, with only the gallery picture and title to tell them apart. Once you have done this, the maintenance is easier... ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    blackqueenblackqueen Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2005
    I mentioned this AGES ago too. It's become a complete nightmare that we can't do this. I thought we could before but I may be wrong.

To me, it's a really really fundamental and basic issue. I don't want the all-singing and all-dancing features that I am sure many many others want but I DO want the simple thing of being able to put my categories on the front page (only 6 of them!) in the order I want and the galleries inside those categories in the order I want. NOT to have to spend hours trolling through the whole lot trying to sort it out. headscratch.gif

BTW, I am assuming you can't sort the 6 categories on the front page to the order you want? I did look and I've fiddled around and can't see how. I know now how to sort the galleries, even though it brings up every blinking one!!! It's frustrating and confusing... I'm not an ignoramus and I feel like Moaning Myrtle now!!! ne_nau.gifumph.gif
    The more you ignore me, the closer I get... :1drink
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2005
    There's a basic fundamental reason why this isn't dead simple - and so we beg everyone's patience on this please. Not even saying it's gonna get addressed today,tomorrow or in 12 months. The engineers and product manager, and the whole team, we're aware of why you guys want this.

Thanks so much for telling us how important it is to you, we really do like it when you tell us straight up like this!

All the best,
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2005
    There is a way to control the display order of your categories
    blackqueen wrote:
    I mentioned this AGES ago too. It's become a complete nightmare that we can't do this. I thought we could before but I may be wrong.

To me, it's a really really fundamental and basic issue. I don't want the all-singing and all-dancing features that I am sure many many others want but I DO want the simple thing of being able to put my categories on the front page (only 6 of them!) in the order I want and the galleries inside those categories in the order I want. NOT to have to spend hours trolling through the whole lot trying to sort it out. headscratch.gif

BTW, I am assuming you can't sort the 6 categories on the front page to the order you want? I did look and I've fiddled around and can't see how. I know now how to sort the galleries, even though it brings up every blinking one!!! It's frustrating and confusing... I'm not an ignoramus and I feel like Moaning Myrtle now!!! ne_nau.gifumph.gif
    You can get the categories in the order you want them. It's not as easy as it probably should be, but it is doable. See this post from yesterday to understand how you can do it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2005
    This has now been changed (maybe it was this way all along, I might just didn't know that) so we can organize galleries at the sub-category level, but still not at the category level. I just tried both and notice that at the subcategory level I could, but still not at the category level. Very interesting.