Options

What monitor?

blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
edited December 29, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
Instead of picking up a G5, It looks like I'm going to just upgrade my PC. I have a 19" LCD right now, but I want something bigger. I've read great things about Dell's 24" widescreen LCD. Its not bad priced either at $1,067

What other monitors are out there? I would like to stay around the $1K mark and above 21"

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2005
    Instead of picking up a G5, It looks like I'm going to just upgrade my PC. I have a 19" LCD right now, but I want something bigger. I've read great things about Dell's 24" widescreen LCD. Its not bad priced either at $1,067

What other monitors are out there? I would like to stay around the $1K mark and above 21"
    If you have the space, (CRT), LaCie electron 22 blue IV.

Sam
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    If you have the space, (CRT), LaCie electron 22 blue IV.

Sam
    Same I want to stay with the LCD setup.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,185 moderator
    edited November 11, 2005
    Also check out the ViewSonic 23". Not as many bells and whistles as the Dell, but the image is what's most important. PC World rated it their highest of the 23-24" catagory for image quality. The Dell has continued reported problems with brightness. Supposedly, in darker room settings, one can't get it adjusted down (backlight is still too bright). Features before quality?

On the Dell's plus side, it can be had for about $680US, either with a new Dell computer order, or with their frequent coupons. I was surprised to see the price so low when I was fooling around with configuring a desktop system at Dell's site the other day.

All of these large wide screens are going down about $100 per month, it seems.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited November 11, 2005
    The Apple 23" Cinema Display is $1299 and a very lovely monitor to look at - Mine is about a year old now and looks like new.

If you are a teacher or a student you may be aboe to wangle an educational discount also.

It will work fine with a PC that has a video card with a standard DVI plug connection as do most newer, better video cards. I have an ATI in my old Gateway PC with a DVI out plug.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2005
    Instead of picking up a G5, It looks like I'm going to just upgrade my PC.

Sorry to hear that. By upgrade do you literally mean upgrade your existing PC? Or do you mean upgrade to a better, newer PC?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    JefferwinJefferwin Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 30, 2005
    Ezio
    For photographic work, you can't do better than the Ezio LCD displays. Even the cheapers ones are superior to anything out there, and the more expensive (I mean REALLY expensive) ones are AdobesRGB compliant.
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2005
    Jefferwin wrote:
    For photographic work, you can't do better than the Ezio LCD displays. Even the cheapers ones are superior to anything out there, and the more expensive (I mean REALLY expensive) ones are AdobesRGB compliant.

maybe im not reading correctly ( and the answer might be here ) but im looking or some info.... I have a Dell PC and monitor (CRT)... when i look at my pics on a emac or imac... they look better!!! i really dont want to buy another computer, is it better to view ( picture quality ) on a better crt or on a lcd monitor.... and, does it matter more on the "graphics / video card " you have installed. i want a monitor that really shows phots as good as on a "mac" ...

troy
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2005
    windoze wrote:

snip

when i look at my pics on a emac or imac... they look better!!!

snip

i want a monitor that really shows phots as good as on a "mac" ...

troy
    Now Troy, you know better than to phrase it that way. lol3.gif
    There is only one possible reply from the non-PC people to that question/comment now, isn't there? :D
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2005

So did you get the Dell 24'' screen ?
    I am also looking at this screen...just wanted to know how you like it

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    TserrofTserrof Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    personally I'd recommend the Dell 2405FPW that your already looking at. Especially since your looking for something around the 1k mark and over 21 inches, this is pretty much the best choice you can make IMO.
    Custom Rig Desktop (P&V editing)....Digicams
    P4EE 3.73 GHz ............................Sony DSC-M1 5.1
    OCZ 2GB DDR2-533 (2 x 1GB) ........Sony DSC-P31 2.0
    128MB Leadtek Winfast 6600GT

Gateway Lappy (P&V editing on the go)......Software
    P4 HT 532 ..........................................Photo E 4.0
    OCZ 1.5 GB SC DDR RAM.....................Premiere E 2.0
    64MB IEG2..............................................PSP 7
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2005
    I've been up and running with a ViewSonic 23" for about a month now. Nice rig.

Tilt/rise/tele/pivot. 1920x1200 is S W E E T ! Hard to look at my old Sony 19" CRT at 1280x1024 now.

Still haven't figured out how to get exactly the color temp I want. Choices seem to be 5000K, 5400K, 6500K, 9300K or sRBG. At 6500K, things seem a little green. Contrast and brightness are hugely adjustable, and there's already decent driver controls in WIN XP for rotation and custom gama, etc. Haven't really played with all that yet.

List is $1599 or $1399 (depending on who you believe), but you can find it for quite a bit less. Mrs. David_S85 has monitor.
    My Smugmug