Options

the "browse" page

BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
edited December 29, 2005 in SmugMug Support
We are thinking about making some changes to the browse page, to make it easier/more fun/more satisfying to browse for random stuff on smugmug. Before we actually make any of the changes, I am interested to hear what you guys think is missing or what would make it better.

Thoughts?
Smug since 2003

Comments

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    Ben wrote:
    We are thinking about making some changes to the browse page, to make it easier/more fun/more satisfying to browse for random stuff on smugmug. Before we actually make any of the changes, I am interested to hear what you guys think is missing or what would make it better.

Thoughts?

I think that'd be a great idea. I'd like to see an RSS feed on this browse page. Also it'd be cool if viewers were allowed to rate the pics that they were presented. In addition I'd like to have the option to be able to view random pics that were weighted for the votes along with the option to view purely random pics.

Or maybe a picture war. People could click on the pic that they thought was better. Something like http://kittenwar.com/ (but, you know, with smugmug pics). Not sure if everyone would like to compete so maybe have an opt in option in the image tools or something?

All in all, it'd be great to browse pics but it should 1) be fun and 2) provide a way to not be bogged down by camera phone pics of aunt millie with only very rarely seeing Marc Adamus's work.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    Use the Pbase model.
    In general, I'd say Pbase has a great functional browsing ability. I know SmugMug can do much better with the asthetics, but as far as functionality goes, I say copy, copy, copy.

In specific, I would really like to be able to browse by EXIF data. Among that data, camera and lens are the two most important fields to me and it would be great to one-up Pbase by allowing and/or options in equpment/EXIF browsing.

I think it would be a good idea to have filters on all browsing tools for standard, power, and pro users. That would probably be the most effective way to avoid the gigabytes of cell phone images. Another way might be to filter on original image size.

Glad to hear you're going to work on the browsing. I think this could really help SmugMug's image.

Ben
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 29, 2005
    BenA2 wrote:
    In specific, I would really like to be able to browse by EXIF data. Among that data, camera and lens are the two most important fields to me and it would be great to one-up Pbase by allowing and/or options in equpment/EXIF browsing.

i agree 100%. when i saw it on photosig i spent forever just playing with it.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    ankitankit Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    bigwebguy wrote:
    i agree 100%. when i saw it on photosig i spent forever just playing with it.

Yes, photosig is another excellent site when it comes to simply browsing pictures. I really like browsing the "recently posted" pictures there and can spend hours at an end.

The other really nice thing is flickr groups. I know there are comminuties here on sm, but they are nowhere as popular as the ones on flickr. Part of the reason is because flickr is free, and has a much larger membership base.
  • Options
    georgesgeorges Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    Bring a random page -
    My request seems rather simple compared to the other suggestions I'm seeing here.

I would like to see a button that brings up a site chosen at random.

See you later, gs
    See you later, gs

http://georgesphotos.net
  • Options
    NikonGirlNikonGirl Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    I'm not sure if this would be part of the "browse" feature, but I'd like the capability to add pictures or galleries to a "Favorites" list as I browse.
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    BenA2 wrote:
    ... In specific, I would really like to be able to browse by EXIF data. Among that data, camera and lens are the two most important fields to me ...

I like Ben's suggestion. I'd also like to see some of the IPTC fields introduced into the mix, e.g., city, state and country. After all, we keep hearing that a lot of smugmug's use is for travel photography. Well, let's see where people are going.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 29, 2005
    pat.kane wrote:
    I like Ben's suggestion. I'd also like to see some of the IPTC fields introduced into the mix, e.g., city, state and country. After all, we keep hearing that a lot of smugmug's use is for travel photography. Well, let's see where people are going.

Hi Ben, not familiar with this really...is this for browsing all of SM public sites or just within an individual's website?
  • Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    Hi Ben, not familiar with this really...is this for browsing all of SM public sites or just within an individual's website?
    I would want it for all of SmugMug's public sites. People use this feature on other sites a lot to see real-world results from specific cameras and lenses before they make a new equipment purchase.
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2005

Ok, I just played with it and see that it is for all SM site with posts...so you don't have to reply to that. Can I ask a dumb question, why would people want to browse all these site? Just out of curiosity? To see how other people shoot, or what of, or where they are located? Thanks, Shane
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2005
    BenA2 wrote:
    I would want it for all of SmugMug's public sites. People use this feature on other sites a lot to see real-world results from specific cameras and lenses before they make a new equipment purchase.

Ok, that makes sense, thanks for the reply. It would be good to see others' work from that point of view. I do that a lot on another board I'm very active with and can see its value. Thanks for the reply, best, Shane