Options

Wildlife Photo Price?

Karenl39Karenl39 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
edited December 30, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
I was asked by a wildlife sanctuary in northern California for one of my photos of the baby sandhill crane. They will be using it for educational purposes and also to give to other wildlife sanctuaries. I told them I would consider it a donation as long as they give me credit for it.

If I had asked them to pay for it, do you have any idea what I should have charged? Also, should I have donated it or asked for payment??? I haven't ever sold any before. :dunno

karenlynch.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    Karenl39 wrote:
    I was asked by a wildlife sanctuary in northern California for one of my photos of the baby sandhill crane. They will be using it for educational purposes and also to give to other wildlife sanctuaries. I told them I would consider it a donation as long as they give me credit for it.

If I had asked them to pay for it, do you have any idea what I should have charged? Also, should I have donated it or asked for payment??? I haven't ever sold any before. ne_nau.gif

karenlynch.smugmug.com

It all depends on what kind of media (print or electronic), what size, and how it's going to be used. Check out the book Pricing Photography Third Edition for more information.

The page for Stock prices - Editorial Display Prints says that one print goes for $425-$630 (assuming admission isn't charged to see it).
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    Karenl39Karenl39 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    Well, they want to use it for a powerpoint presentation and then possibly print it. Would that be considered a stock photo? I'll have to purchase that book.
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    tax deduction?
    Hi Karen,

it might still be a good idea to put a price to that picture/use. Since it is a donation to a charitable organization, you could write off on your tax returns (but they would have to send a thank you note with their non-profit id number in it - I think).

congrats on the interest in your picture.

Colleen
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)