Options

What's the most unusual lens you have?

SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
edited January 4, 2006 in Cameras

Comments

• Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2005
    don'g have it, but i want one. its a Pheleng 8mm and you need an adapter to put it on. but its biult like a tankthumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2005
    I used to have a Nikon 8mm f/2.8 fisheye, but I think the weirdest lens I ever had wasa Nikon 28/3.5 PC lens. Rather than use it to correct vertical lines, I usd it to distort them even more.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2005
    An Arsat 35 Tilt/Sift.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2005
    It's not particularly wide, but the "strangest" lens I have is an Meyer-Gorlitz Orestegor 300mm. I use it on my MF camera. Right now I am looking for a Pentacon-Canon lens adaptor so I can try it out on the 20d. Has anybody done anything like that before?
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2005
    Biometar 80mm mounted on the Pentacon 6
    Seymore wrote:
    Anybody have PICs of their wierd glass?

This is my biometar.
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2005
    And this is the strange one, the Orestegor. I have to figure out a way to get thes things to work on a canon.
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2005
    heres a pick of the Pheleng 8mm
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited January 1, 2006
    Seymore wrote:
    Those are some "different" lenses. So, what is the era of the Pentacon 6? 60's? What about its lens?

And, I'm just curious... how did you get that 300 to to stay horizontal on the vertical surface? eek7.gif:D

Dat looks like a huge front element Daniel...
    Pentacons were made from 1956 up until the dissolution of the company, VEB Pentacon, in 1992. I think my model comes from around 1968. Their 35mm cameras went under the praktica name. VEB pentacon grew (somehow) out of a combination of Zeiss Ikon and other companies that were sovietized into VEB PEntacon in 56. The Biometar was made for export, I think, which is why it only says "aus Jena" rahter than "carl Zeiss Jena" Apparently there was some beef with Zeiss in the west about unsing the name.

Good cameras, if you are lucky. Quality control wasn't the best, so some things left the factory that probably shouldn't have. But mine has served me well, and there's a great old russian guy in Brooklyn who can patch thses things up very well!

I would love to try out one of these MF Zeiss Jena lenses on my 20d. I have to get an adaptor. If the lens is "good" (re; quality control, again) then its as good as any zeiss glass. In fact, it IS zeiss glass. And you can get some of these zeiss Jena lenses very, very cheaply. I got the Orestegor for $60, and the whole Pentacon w/ Biometar for about $95.
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    unusual lenses
    hi

i have an asahi pentax smc takumar 300/4 with a built in hood and tripod mount,for about $200 and a smc takumar 200/4 for about $100.

both are beautiful lenses and with the crop factor of my 20d they perform very well wide open with no edge softness.

not that unusual as so many were made,but as far as i can tell only a few of us in here use manual lenses-andy,ziggy,myself come to mind and a few new ones popping up in this thread.

if you want to get adapters for m42/pentax screwmount to eos then search for cameraquest- stephen gandy will sort you out with one of his high quality adapters-steer clear of the cheaper ones found elsewhere as they have tolerance problems, which affect lens registration and therefore focus.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2006
    gtc wrote:
    if you want to get adapters for m42/pentax screwmount to eos then search for cameraquest- stephen gandy will sort you out with one of his high quality adapters-steer clear of the cheaper ones found elsewhere as they have tolerance problems, which affect lens registration and therefore focus.

My lenses aren't M42, they are medium format. Do you know if camera quest has adpaters for these as well?
  • Options
    graeme_7799graeme_7799 Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited January 3, 2006
    i think the weirdest lens i have is by far the Rodenstock Heligon 75mm f/1.1
    the price was $30 so i couldn't go wrong for such a nice piece of glass. the images it produces might not be the sharpest, but the effect of the pictures is powerful and expressive. its huge in physical size and weighs about 4lbs as well... so its a b*tch to hold.

1d2a-vi.jpg
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2006
    A 1"x1" bit of coke can ..blackened out to reduce reflection & drilled with a 0.3mm drill & duct taped over my pinhole camera. Yep thats about f/400.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2006
    Seymore wrote:
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm... But, where's the lens? headscratch.gif ...or the PIC? mwink.gif

That bit of coke can with the tiny hole is the lens.

The camera i made (i have heaps of them)
    http://wadjelaphotography.smugmug.com/photos/244778-M-1.jpg

Some shots with it (before i learnt to PS B&W's so its a bit flat)
    http://wadjelaphotography.smugmug.com/photos/221230-M-1.jpg

About a 4 minute shot of my bike engine in late afternoon at f/400
    http://wadjelaphotography.smugmug.com/photos/221234-M-1.jpg

I do my own developing so its a bit hit & miss
    http://wadjelaphotography.smugmug.com/photos/221226-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2006
    Seymore wrote:
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... You have far to much time on your hands! :Deek7.gif Thanks for the images... I really like the bike engine shot! thumb.gif Abstract to the extreme! Have you ever painted, on shots like these, with a flashlight?
    tks
    I make sure i have time on my hands...we are a long long time in the ground imo. Never painted on them...that shot was about 5pm under an awning so there was plenty of light but at f/400 everything is dark.
  • Options
    robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2006
    I have a small collection of old cameras from my grandfather, the majority of them use out dated film you can't find any more.

As for glass, I love my Peleng 8mm and sometimes the Lensbaby 2.0, but I perfer the fisheye. If I had a Nikon I would buy the 10.5mm fisheye, but since using the Sigma 10-20 I'm pretty content.

40302932-L.jpg
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • Options
    graeme_7799graeme_7799 Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited January 3, 2006
    Seymore wrote:
    To bad we can't see it. Care to try again? Please try to get a link that ends in JPG. I look forward to seeing what you have. Must be a serious lens @ 4lbs.

hey sorry about that. i updated the picture.
  • Options
    illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    heres a pick of the Pheleng 8mm

That lens is very popular with skate photographers, I'm not a big fan of fisheyes, they're becoming over used now a days, but you can definitely get some cool effects.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.