Options

Whatcha think?

ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
edited January 2, 2006 in Holy Macro
Been playing around with the EF-S 60mm and so far love it, DOF is rather interesting to figure out. No this isn't a macro, but I do like the detail.

50237062-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2005
    Wonderful shot Thusie- think it classifies as macro. As you are finding out as you magnify dof dissappears.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2005
    Thank you very much Brian, your macros are just eye popping candy!

The DOF, it is almost like I hit a wall with it. At 1:1 and f8 or so nothing much seems to change, maybe a bit more DOF as apposed to f4 ??? Focal spot, to me anyway, seems very critical, more so than normal. Hard for me to explain:): Simple...I often think I'm right on with focus etc and but end up missing the shot because of the shallow DOF.umph.gif Having a bunch of fun tho':D
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2005
    I like it quite a bit. I like the colors, especially.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2005
    Thusie wrote:
    Thank you very much Brian, your macros are just eye popping candy!

The DOF, it is almost like I hit a wall with it. At 1:1 and f8 or so nothing much seems to change, maybe a bit more DOF as apposed to f4 ??? Focal spot, to me anyway, seems very critical, more so than normal. Hard for me to explain:): Simple...I often think I'm right on with focus etc and but end up missing the shot because of the shallow DOF.umph.gif Having a bunch of fun tho':D

I shoot most of my shots in manual with manual focus and ETTL flash,- 1/200th F11-F13. Main thing is to have lots of fun trying and just keep on trying- you'll get the hang of it with practice. :)
    Brian V.
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2005
    Thanks David! Who would have thought such color out of a plain old Norway spruce? I walk by that tree everyday and didn't have a clue really.

Brian will try the f11-13 haven't went much past f8, already figured out to use manual focus, still miss. No flash yet and I assume that can make a huge difference. Thanks for the tips!
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    Nice Shot
    Thusie wrote:
    Been playing around with the EF-S 60mm and so far love it, DOF is rather interesting to figure out. No this isn't a macro, but I do like the detail.

I like the detail in it too, nice little flower, they look like tiny little roses on the wrong kind of plant don't they :D lovely shot........ Skippy (Autralia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    I like the detail in it too, nice little flower, they look like tiny little roses on the wrong kind of plant don't they :D lovely shot........ Skippy (Autralia)

Yes they do and thanks Skippy!
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    I love the pastel colours...it suits the shot. Very soft bokah also. thumb.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    Lovely palette and dreamy feel. Me, I'd crop it down a bit, that empty space to the right unbalances it. Sweet feel to the image. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2006
    Gus, Sid thanks for looking and the compliments.

Sid ,on the crop, would you be so kind as to show me how you would do it? I'm always whiffling around with too much not enoughne_nau.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    Sure thing, Thusie. Here are a couple of examples.

50458652-M.jpg

50458650-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2006
    Thanks a bunch Sid, certainly changes the whole perspectivethumb.gif
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    CRISP!!! Thats what came to my mind when i saw it...

troy
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    CRISP!!! Thats what came to my mind when i saw it...

troy

Thanks Troy. This is my motivation shot. I take a look at it when I have just dumped 99% of what I just shot. Sort of see you CAN do this, keep trying.
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    Ahh..the clarity. Very nice.
    clap.gif