Options

Water Skiing this morning.

tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
edited July 31, 2004 in Holy Macro
6006175-M.jpg

Got some shots of my friend skiing. Experimenting with different shutter speends and front/back lighting etc.

6006172-M.jpg

6006173-M.jpg

6006176-M.jpg

6006177-M.jpg

6011200-M.jpg
Thomas :D

TML Photography
tmlphoto.com

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2004
    Great shots!

I just got back from Callaway Gardens and took a bunch of waterskiing photos. Could you tell me the camera settings on the first and second shots?

mitch
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2004
    Very nice shots. I confess to preferring the standard settings to the backlit ones. But maybe a huge spray behind a backlit figure would look cool. Nice stuff, man.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2004
    My attempts with my daughter's first time slaloming. I loved how the fast shutterspeed of the D70 stopped the action in the water.

mitch
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2004
    Mitchell wrote:
    My attempts with my daughter's first time slaloming. I loved how the fast shutterspeed of the D70 stopped the action in the water.

mitch
    Mitchell,
    Sorry for the delay. Love the shot of your daughter. My six year old daughter is itching to try skiing. Ordered a trainer combo set yesterday. Lots of good family fun.

The settings for the first two pictures are as follows:

Both are ISO-100 , F5.6 with a 100 lens (160mm corrected), pre focus manual, hand held from in the boat.
    No. 1 is at 1/500 and no. 2 at 1/1000

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Very nice shots. I confess to preferring the standard settings to the backlit ones. But maybe a huge spray behind a backlit figure would look cool. Nice stuff, man.
    Thanks Sid. I'm going to try some more in the am. I'll post some if any they are any good.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:

Got some shots of my friend skiing. Experimenting with different shutter speends and front/back lighting etc.

6006172-S.jpg

Hi, Thomas, this is the second one, and of all the shots you posted, this is the one I like best. I would have thought this would be an easy shoot, but it looks much more difficult than I would have thought.

I don't like the front lighting, not at that time of day, and I don't like total back lighting, I would like to see a bit of side lighting, I guess, and on the side this is coming from. A tad more might do it.

ginger (Looks like fun no matter how you lit the photos)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Hi, Thomas, this is the second one, and of all the shots you posted, this is the one I like best. I would have thought this would be an easy shoot, but it looks much more difficult than I would have thought.

I don't like the front lighting, not at that time of day, and I don't like total back lighting, I would like to see a bit of side lighting, I guess, and on the side this is coming from. A tad more might do it.

ginger (Looks like fun no matter how you lit the photos)
    Thanks for your comments Ginger. The way the slalom course is oriented, I only had two choices- front or back lighting. Maybe if I could talk him into a run just around sunrise the lighting would be better. I think some people use fill flash, but mine isn't strong enough. I quess I could float in the water and catch him on his way buy :}. I would need a waterproof case I guess. The hard part is the timing. The skiier is going about seventy miles per hour across the wake and spends only a fraction of a second turning the buoy.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    Womens slalom
    A couple of new ones...

6734199-L.jpg

6734198-L.jpg

TML Photography