Options

some infrared from the mountains

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited July 31, 2004 in Wildlife
i've had a chance to process some of my ir shots from my trip to
the adirondack mountains of new york

there are some more shots posted here

all shots are handheld with my ir-modified (*) sony f828, iso 64, usually f/4, shutter speeds of 1/100th sec to 1/200th sec, hoya r72 infrared filter aboard. in post, my standard bw (**) recipe, a boost to the blacks (***) followed by a light toning application at 12% opacity (****).

the weather was very gloomy most of the time, and darn it, there were really no "ir-clouds" to speak of...though i did manage to get lucky with a few clouds...

6585379-L.jpg

6585375-L.jpg

6585377-L.jpg

6585381-L.jpg

review if ir-modified sony f828 right here

* update to ir-modified sony f828 right here

a week's worth of reading on bw tips and techniques right here

*** selective color>blacks boost is explained here

**** toning is explained here

enjoy (infrared) photography,

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    andy wrote:

6585379-S.jpg

6585375-S.jpg

Wow. Especially these two. The second one made me speak to myself. Beautiful images, Andy.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Wow. Especially these two. The second one made me speak to myself. Beautiful images, Andy.

thanks sid. yeah, that second one seems to be the overwhelming favorite of the group. i really like the depth of the shot, and the wispy clouds in the sky. i was really pleased with the tonal range, too. it wasn't a great week for ir, the sun was out just a little bit - and for good ir shots, you need high, bright sun (that's why i like shooting ir so much, it's great for the middle of the day when normal color landscape photography is such a challenge).

thanks for stopping by!
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2004
    I think they are all very nice. I need to get a filter for my D100 and give this infrared a try. I love them.
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2004
    andy wrote:
    thanks sid. yeah, that second one seems to be the overwhelming favorite of the group. i really like the depth of the shot, and the wispy clouds in the sky. i was really pleased with the tonal range, too. it wasn't a great week for ir, the sun was out just a little bit - and for good ir shots, you need high, bright sun (that's why i like shooting ir so much, it's great for the middle of the day when normal color landscape photography is such a challenge).

thanks for stopping by!
    They are all really dramatic and while you are right about the 2nd shot, you might want to play with the one of the path. Don't know if cropping is called for or what but it has the potential to be just as outstanding at the favorite.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2004
    andy wrote:

thanks for stopping by!
    These are really beautiful. Any thoughts on whether a Nikon D70 can be modified to shoot IR?

mitch
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    Mitchell wrote:
    These are really beautiful. Any thoughts on whether a Nikon D70 can be modified to shoot IR?

mitch

there's some info here at maxmax on an ir-modified nikon d100 mwink.gif