Options

Bio problems

trihokietrihokie Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
edited January 4, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I have tried, using several different browsers, to go into my control panel and edit my Bio. I have tried entering my "first choice html code" with no luck. I then tried to just enter the word "test" and that didn't work, so I know it wasn't a problem with my html. In my Mozilla status bar I get this message:
javascript:toggle DIV ('editBio','userBio', editBioLink','block')
The "'block'" is what concerns me. Can you tell me where I am gioing wrong?:dunno
Thanks
Barry

Hokies Rule!
www.trihokie.com

Comments

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    My initial guess is that it has something to do with the code that's in your header. You have two table tags up there. Remove one and I bet you'll be good to go.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    trihokie wrote:
    I have tried, using several different browsers, to go into my control panel and edit my Bio. I have tried entering my "first choice html code" with no luck. I then tried to just enter the word "test" and that didn't work, so I know it wasn't a problem with my html. In my Mozilla status bar I get this message:
    javascript:toggle DIV ('editBio','userBio', editBioLink','block')
    The "'block'" is what concerns me. Can you tell me where I am gioing wrong?ne_nau.gif
    Thanks
    Barry

Hi Barry,

Go to control panel>bio>change

I can edit your bio just fine that way. I put in: Test Test Test
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2006
    Your customization looks very familiar mwink.gif

You might want to remove my image from your CSS though

http://williams.smugmug.com/photos/37937896-O-1.gif

Also, lots of your CSS references galleries on my site. You'll want to change that mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2006
    Holy cow, that's hilarious, the CSS is nearly verbatim. I'm glad you like my work. lol3.gif

• Options
    edited January 4, 2006
    Didn't mean to offend anyone. I liked the layout and the text formatting of Andy's site. I am not a CSS Wiz. I was looking for a quick way to get this site up and running so that I can re-direct trihokie.com to trihokie.smugmug.com and eliminate my current web server and save myself $150/year (so that I can spend it on smugmug professional).
    I appreciate your customer support and I will go through and fine tune the CSS ASAP.
    Again, sorry if I offended anyone. I didn't see it as a problem since CSS's are merely a formatting device for my original content. I am new to this stuff so let me know if I need to eliminate anything or say any "Hail Marys".
    Thanks,
    Barry

Hokies Rule!
    www.trihokie.com
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2006
    trihokie wrote:
    Didn't mean to offend anyone. I liked the layout and the text formatting of Andy's site. I am not a CSS Wiz. I was looking for a quick way to get this site up and running so that I can re-direct trihokie.com to trihokie.smugmug.com and eliminate my current web server and save myself $150/year (so that I can spend it on smugmug professional).
    I appreciate your customer support and I will go through and fine tune the CSS ASAP.
    Again, sorry if I offended anyone. I didn't see it as a problem since CSS's are merely a formatting device for my original content. I am new to this stuff so let me know if I need to eliminate anything or say any "Hail Marys".
    Thanks,
    Barry

No offense here. I was compensated for it already :D One thing though, by linking directly to Andy's images (williams.smugmug.com/photos/whatever) you'll be unfairly using Andy's bandwidth. That's the same as stealing. Andy's a part of smugmug so it probably doesn't matter that much. Buuuuuutttt.... it's generally not a thing you want to do especially for someone else who may be a paying customer with a bandwidth limit. You can just as well download that image and save it to your own account and link it from there. You will definitely want to check with the person to make sure it's okay to do this though.

Andy's CSS is quite well tailored to his site. If you need help with customizing your site to suit your needs you can stop by the smugmug customization room and we'll help you out.

• Options
    edited January 4, 2006
    trihokie wrote:
    Didn't mean to offend anyone.

You haven't offended (hence the mwink.gif) -- but you should change the names to protect the innocent lol3.gif

Did you fix your bio ok ear.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2006
    #homepage #categoriesBox {display:none;}
    Got the bio fixed. Thanks. For what its worth, and for those reading this, all links to Andy's site were "commented out" in the CSS. That means you could only see the links if you actually pulled up the css and looked at it (and who does that other than me:):). The links were not active on my actual web page.
    I did have to do it through the control panel>bio>change route rather than just editing the bio.

Here is another question for you:

Is there a way to turn off the "categories" on my homepage without having to enter "#homepage #categoriesBox {display:none;}" into my css? It is just a problem if I want to edit one of the galleries when I am logged in, because I cannot see them. I have to go in and delete that line from my css to see the all of my galleries.
    Thanks
    Barry

Hokies Rule!
    www.trihokie.com
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2006
    trihokie wrote:
    Here is another question for you:

Is there a way to turn off the "categories" on my homepage without having to enter "#homepage #categoriesBox {display:none;}" into my css? It is just a problem if I want to edit one of the galleries when I am logged in, because I cannot see them. I have to go in and delete that line from my css to see the all of my galleries.
    Thanks
    Barry

You can turn it off for the outside world and turn it on for you when you're logged in by adding this (keep what you've already got)...

.loggedIn #homepage #categoriesBox {display:block;}

• Options
    edited January 4, 2006
    thanks
    Thanks, guys (Mike and Andy). You have been very helpful--And fast! On most help forums you submit a question and check your email box the next day. You've helped me solve 2 problems in a few hours. Wow, if I give you a week you could probably get my whole life in order... Keep up the good work.
    Barry

Hokies Rule!
    www.trihokie.com