Options

Blinking Thumbnails

KeithHKeithH Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
edited January 6, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I did a search and didn't find anything on this. Forgive me if I missed it. I was viewing my galleries on someone else's machine today and the thumbnail images were turning black when I would roll over them with my mouse pointer. This Compaq computer was using IE 6.0 at 800 X 600. The gallery was set to the SmugMug style. It didn't matter if I was logged in or not. I sometimes use IE 6.0 at home and I have never seen this.

I would hate to think that other people see this. I don't think I'm using any special customization or code. Anybody else experienced this?

www.hazweb.smugmug.com

Not to change the subject but another problem I just started noticing yesterday was that the SmugSmug style looks different whether I'm logged in or not. If I'm not, the medium picture on the right looks too big and you have to scroll, but if I am logged in, the thumbs and medium photo fit nicely on a 800 X 600 screen. Any ideas? Sorry for the long post.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    KeithH wrote:
    I did a search and didn't find anything on this. Forgive me if I missed it. I was viewing my galleries on someone else's machine today and the thumbnail images were turning black when I would roll over them with my mouse pointer. This Compaq computer was using IE 6.0 at 800 X 600. The gallery was set to the SmugMug style. It didn't matter if I was logged in or not. I sometimes use IE 6.0 at home and I have never seen this.

I would hate to think that other people see this. I don't think I'm using any special customization or code. Anybody else experienced this?

www.hazweb.smugmug.com

Not to change the subject but another problem I just started noticing yesterday was that the SmugSmug style looks different whether I'm logged in or not. If I'm not, the medium picture on the right looks too big and you have to scroll, but if I am logged in, the thumbs and medium photo fit nicely on a 800 X 600 screen. Any ideas? Sorry for the long post.

Hi Keith!

What does this code in your Body Tag do?

<body onload="updateSS();">

I looked at your site in IE and saw no flickering thumbs.
  • Options
    tony larcombetony larcombe Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Yes Keith, I too get the same thing, I posted a question about 2 months ago and got promised a fix the very next day ne_nau.gif which never happened. I too (still) get the thumbnail 'vanishing' for a brief second when I cursor over it, if I move the cursor quick enough I can lose 2 or 3 thumbs.....
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Yes Keith, I too get the same thing, I posted a question about 2 months ago and got promised a fix the very next day ne_nau.gif which never happened. I too (still) get the thumbnail 'vanishing' for a brief second when I cursor over it, if I move the cursor quick enough I can lose 2 or 3 thumbs.....

Hi Tony, it's IE's Flicker -- not SmugMug's. We've posted a lot about what we'd like to do, tried to do, and well, can't do... including responding to your post a while back:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=23205&highlight=flicker
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=221259&postcount=31
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=21615&page=2
  • Options
    tony larcombetony larcombe Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Thanks Andy, I never did re-visit the original email to see the final answer. Guess I'll just have to suck it up then. :cry
  • Options
    winnjewettwinnjewett Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Thanks Andy, I never did re-visit the original email to see the final answer. Guess I'll just have to suck it up then. :cry
    the good news is that the flicker only appears if the user tells ie not to cache anything. For most users, this isn't a problem. Unfortunately, for most developers it is.

-winn
  • Options
    KeithHKeithH Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Keith!

What does this code in your Body Tag do?

<body onload="updateSS();">

I looked at your site in IE and saw no flickering thumbs.
    I can't remember how I got that. I think I'll remove it.

Is that flicker just with the smugmug style?

And anyone have any opinions on the second part of my original post...
    I just started noticing yesterday that the SmugSmug style looks different whether I'm logged in or not. If I'm not, the medium picture on the right looks too big and you have to scroll, but if I am logged in, the thumbs and medium photo fit nicely on a 800 X 600 screen. Any ideas?
    One other Internet Explorer problem (whew!): On a home computer, it doesn't flicker, but the the status bar shows an "Error on page" message, however everything seems to work properly.

I worry about all this because most of my visitors use IE but usually at a higher resolution than 800 X 600.