Options

Meta name tags

Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
edited January 7, 2006 in SmugMug Support
How is it that I can add or change my Mta tags? I would like to add to it to better help out my serach results on lets say google.com. Is there a way to do it? I know if I google my name it comes up, but If I google like bay area photographer or like sports photographer and so on i'm no were to be found. I know how to add edit the tags in a html editor but how do I do it here or under what tag (section)?
www.dipphoto.com
All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Use the "head" section in site customization
    How is it that I can add or change my Mta tags? I would like to add to it to better help out my serach results on lets say google.com. Is there a way to do it? I know if I google my name it comes up, but If I google like bay area photographer or like sports photographer and so on i'm no were to be found. I know how to add edit the tags in a html editor but how do I do it here or under what tag (section)?

If you have a power or pro account, you can add meta tags to the "head" section in your site customization. I can't speak for how much the search engines will actually pay attention to those meta tags (I think they like real content more than meta tags), but you can add them and see if it helps.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006

HI Aaron,

You might check over in the MYOB for a whole lot of great Google info, ways to make sure you get indexed, ways to improve your search rankings, ways to tweak your site for Google awareness, keywords, blogs, cross-linking, and more.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=21286
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=20236
  • Options
    Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Thank You
    I'll take a look. I have a friend I want to sign up for smugmug and she asked.. then I got to thinking.. lol.
    www.dipphoto.com
    All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust
  • Options
    KeithHKeithH Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    If you have a power or pro account, you can add meta tags to the "head" section in your site customization. I can't speak for how much the search engines will actually pay attention to those meta tags (I think they like real content more than meta tags), but you can add them and see if it helps.

Does his really do anything? Doesn't it just cause your page to have two sets of meta tags: yours and Smugmug's? Would this cause any problems or would the second set just be ignored?
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    Multiple meta tags are just additive
    KeithH wrote:
    Does his really do anything? Doesn't it just cause your page to have two sets of meta tags: yours and Smugmug's? Would this cause any problems or would the second set just be ignored?

I did a Google search for "multiple meta tags" and the advertisement that came up was for a book called Google Secrets. It apparently claims that meta tags don't matter at all anymore and claims to tell you how to really optimize your page for Google. There are likely a number of free web resources on the same topic, but I thought it was relevant that this book is claiming that meta tags hardly matter at all anymore.

Anyway, to answer your original question, a document on the W3 site says this: "If multiple META elements are provided with the same name, their combined contents--concatenated as a comma-separated list--is the value associated with that name." So, the answer is that it's perfectly fine to have multiple meta elements - they are additive.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question