Options

Another challenge suggestion

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited August 2, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
I have a suggestion to make, it's just a thought I had while thinking about the frustration I have been feeling from folks in reading the challenge threads. It seems like most of the emotion comes from trying to guess what will be considered "on message", and what the judges are looking for.

I know personally that in the last challenge, my 3 favorites from the submissions did not even make the finals. There could be lots of reasons for this. But when people spend lots of time working on a shot, and get tons of "wow!" comments on it, I can see where not making the finals can be demoralizing.

So my suggestion is to have a separate winner of "best submission" by popular vote. This wouldn't be like the real contest; every submission would be assumed to be "on point", and the most popular photograph would win.

Everyone could rank their top 3 favorites from the submissions, and then the results could be weighted to determine a "winner", separate from the actual "judged" contest. You could name the top 5 places, and everyone else gets "honorable mention". No prizes, just recognition.

Of course, polls aren't set up to work that way becuse you can only vote for one thing. And if you have a thread where people place their votes, then you lose the anonimity that is required to spare feelings. The only way around this that I can think of is to have folks PM their votes so someone can tally them.

If people think this would be a good idea, then I will volunteer to tally the votes. :deal

If not, that's fine too. I'm just looking for a way to put the fun back into the challenges.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    is the fun gone from the challenges?
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I'm just looking for a way to put the fun back into the challenges.

What do you think?

?? c'mon there's plenty of fun going on. everybody has to realize that this is a learning and growing experience.

i participate in the dpreview challenges - on the sony forum - very very competitive. been doing it for over a year now. i've won it many times but it took me a while to get started mwink.gif but all along, i learned, and grew, and got better as a photographer.

and the challenge thread? well let me tell you, i've seen plenty of different methods for feedback and critique - and this is great. yeah, the thread fills up. so what? if you're in the challenge, then you commit to viewing the thread each day. you can learn as much from other's comments and critiques of other folks' photos as you can from the same on your own photos. late comers in a challenge can catch as catch can, and then be ready from day one of the subsequent challenge.

the non-finalists? let's get something straight: if you are putting up a shot into the challenge gallery, then you are proud of that shot. you've worked at it, from shoot through post and *you* feel it's a winner. yeah, it's nice to be picked, but so what if you aren't? learn, grow, get better. have fun!
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    andy wrote:
    the non-finalists? let's get something straight: if you are putting up a shot into the challenge gallery, then you are proud of that shot. you've worked at it, from shoot through post and *you* feel it's a winner. yeah, it's nice to be picked, but so what if you aren't? learn, grow, get better. have fun!
    Yeah Baby!iloveyou.gif If I get my shot into the challenge I feel good
    Sometimes I play games and try one shot for multiple challenges.
    But mostly I feel good if I can meet the challenge.

Many times I feel we all want Andys " approval" I am sure he appreciates all contibutions and some I am sure he wishes he took himself.bowdown.gif

It may be cliche but entering is winning!

Tim
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    Andy, I've said it before and I'll say it again here: I think you are doing a great service to the site and members. You volunteer you time and effort and I think we all appreciate it. I'm not trying to say that you are doing something "wrong". I think I understand the spirit you are trying to foster with the challenges.

I didn't think that I would enter a challenge, because I realize I have a lot to learn. But in the last few weeks I have learned some things, and so I posted an entry today. I'm proud of it, and I don't expect to be a finalist. I'm also happy because I would never have learned these things if I hadn't found DG, and if you weren't hosting the challenges. But that's my situation, everyone else has their own set of circumstances.

I'm just offering an option that I thought of. Maybe everyone thinks it's stupid, that's fine with me. It was just a thought. Don't take it the wrong way.