Options

direct link to "Private" gallery

LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
edited January 9, 2006 in SmugMug Support
ok... let's see if i can make sense of this...

I have a pro account and have it set so that my models can purchase prints online and such. I don't want that gallery to show up on the homepage for the world to see. Even if password protected, I don't want the "Locked Gallery" shown. Just looks tacky in my opinion.

So... what I'm trying to do is through my main page - http://www.wanderingthroughlife.com If you click on proofs and then "Get your prints" link it should take them to a gallery (category) where they can then click on their name. This is what they see though - http://wanderingthroughlife.smugmug.com/Photography/128877

What do I do?

Steven
Wandering Through Life Photography
MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:
    What do I do?

Steven

Hi Steven,

You can link your clients to the private gallery but not the category.

here's an example:

http://www.moonriverphotography.com/gallery/265408

password is 348756

BTW - you'll see that there's a photo on this gallery even though it's private and pw protected - you can select "feature photo" in photo tools menu and that's how you make this happen.

Cheers
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    A bunch of choices
    LiquidOps wrote:
    ok... let's see if i can make sense of this...

I have a pro account and have it set so that my models can purchase prints online and such. I don't want that gallery to show up on the homepage for the world to see. Even if password protected, I don't want the "Locked Gallery" shown. Just looks tacky in my opinion.

So... what I'm trying to do is through my main page - http://www.wanderingthroughlife.com If you click on proofs and then "Get your prints" link it should take them to a gallery (category) where they can then click on their name. This is what they see though - http://wanderingthroughlife.smugmug.com/Photography/128877

What do I do?

Steven
    It's hard to tell exactly what problem you are trying to solve. Here's some info.

Private galleries will never be listed in any smugmug generated page except when you are logged in. While logged in, you can record the exact URL to them and send your models that link and they will be able to view it. Private galleries are available if you know the exact URL, you just can't find them by browsing, searching, etc...

Or, you could make the galleries public, put them in a particular category and have only that category on your home page and anyone who navigates to that category from your home page could get it.

Or, you could make them public, but password protected, put them in a particular category and have only that category on your home page. Set the featured photo for each one of the password protected galleries and you won't see the ugly looking lock icon for the gallery, you will see a real image from the gallery for the thumb. Then, just give each model their password and they and only they can see their images.

Since I'm not sure exactly what problem you are trying to solve, feel free to ask other questions if I've missed what you are looking for.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    I think Andy hit the nail on the head.

I currently have things set up on my main SM page to show "Galleries" not "Categories"

So when you click on "Animals" it shows you a collection of animals... not sub groups... if that makes sense.

What I wanted to be able to do, is, on my http://www.wanderingthroughlife.com proofs page, is have them click "Get Your Prints" and then be taken to the "Order Prints" category and select their name, enter the PW i gave them and go from there.

I take it, this isn't possible.....
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    What you could do...
    LiquidOps wrote:
    I think Andy hit the nail on the head.

I currently have things set up on my main SM page to show "Galleries" not "Categories"

So when you click on "Animals" it shows you a collection of animals... not sub groups... if that makes sense.

What I wanted to be able to do, is, on my http://www.wanderingthroughlife.com proofs page, is have them click "Get Your Prints" and then be taken to the "Order Prints" category and select their name, enter the PW i gave them and go from there.

I take it, this isn't possible.....
    You can solve this problem. If you don't want there to be any way to get to these galleries from your home page, then you need to leave them as private. But, it looks like you already have your own web-site, so here's something you could do.

Leave the model's galleries as private and password protected as you have them. On your own web-site, change this page, to be a list of each of the model's names and have thlose names link directly to the private galleries on smugmug. Then, the models will click on the link for their name, get a password prompt, enter the password you gave them and then see their photos. You will essentially just be creating your own "category" page on your own web-site rather than using smugmug's.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    caseservecaseserve Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    Password and private but viewable?
    JFriend's solution may work but I have a question ne_nau.gif

I would like to have some proofing galleries that require a password but do not show up in smugmug search or search engine search's

Therefore if I set the gallery as private with a password and then link as JFriend suggested will this do what I want? I think it will.

Also is there a way that I can have the gallery show up as public with a password but make it so that it is not searchable from smugmug or from search engines?

Thanks,
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2006
    caseserve wrote:
    JFriend's solution may work but I have a question ne_nau.gif

I would like to have some proofing galleries that require a password but do not show up in smugmug search or search engine search's

Therefore if I set the gallery as private with a password and then link as JFriend suggested will this do what I want? I think it will.

Also is there a way that I can have the gallery show up as public with a password but make it so that it is not searchable from smugmug or from search engines?

Thanks,

You can have as many secure galleries as you like, each with its own password. Or use the same password for several galleries.

Unlike private galleries, titles for password-protected galleries display even when you're logged out, so your admirers can see them when they visit your home page. That means Google can also find them.

Like private galleries, however, they cannot be found by searching smugmug's search engine.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/private-albums
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    You can have as many secure galleries as you like, each with its own password. Or use the same password for several galleries.

Unlike private galleries, titles for password-protected galleries display even when you're logged out, so your admirers can see them when they visit your home page. That means Google can also find them.

Like private galleries, however, they cannot be found by searching smugmug's search engine.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/private-albums

Andy,
    I want to make sure I understand this... ne_nau.gif

If I set my gallery as public with a password does this mean that the password protected gallery WILL NOT be searchable?

This is my goal so I can have people enter the site as normal navigate to the correct gallery and enter their password, but I DON'T want search engines to pick up the pictures.

PS - Since you've come on board it's been a pleasure getting questions answered!

Thanks,
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2006
    caseserve wrote:
    Andy,
    I want to make sure I understand this... ne_nau.gif

If I set my gallery as public with a password does this mean that the password protected gallery WILL NOT be searchable?

This is my goal so I can have people enter the site as normal navigate to the correct gallery and enter their password, but I DON'T want search engines to pick up the pictures.

PS - Since you've come on board it's been a pleasure getting questions answered!

Thanks,

Public and password protected means that Google can still see them. Unlike private galleries, titles for password-protected galleries display even when you're logged out, anyone can see them when they visit your home page. That means Google can also find them. Like private galleries, however, they cannot be found by searching SmugMug's search engine.

Thanks for the kind words! It's my pleasure to help!

All the best,
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2006
    ?
    Andy wrote:
    Public and password protected means that Google can still see them. Unlike private galleries, titles for password-protected galleries display even when you're logged out, anyone can see them when they visit your home page. That means Google can also find them. Like private galleries, however, they cannot be found by searching SmugMug's search engine.

Thanks for the kind words! It's my pleasure to help!

All the best,

Is there anyway around this? To me if a gallery is password protected then it should only be accessible using a password period no questions asked. by having it searchable that kinda defeats the purpose of the password if you think about it.

Devils advocate example here, I shoot some glamour pictures for a customer to present to her husband on Valentines day. She is not computer savvy so I want the gallery to display so she can find it by going to my website, but I password protect it. She orders the pictures and is thrilled as well as her husband. Some months later her pictures start showing up on the internet because someone googled them and pulled them off my website. I'm now liable as far as the customer is concerned. I get sued loose my business and can't afford to pay for my professional smugmug account anymore.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2006
    caseserve wrote:
    Is there anyway around this? To me if a gallery is password protected then it should only be accessible using a password period no questions asked. by having it searchable that kinda defeats the purpose of the password if you think about it.

Devils advocate example here, I shoot some glamour pictures for a customer to present to her husband on Valentines day. She is not computer savvy so I want the gallery to display so she can find it by going to my website, but I password protect it. She orders the pictures and is thrilled as well as her husband. Some months later her pictures start showing up on the internet because someone googled them and pulled them off my website. I'm now liable as far as the customer is concerned. I get sued loose my business and can't afford to pay for my professional smugmug account anymore.

At the moment, Public is Public and Private is Private - and no, there's not a way around it.

They should be in a private, password gallery, if this is your concern. Share the link with her, via a url direct to the gallery, or via a sharegroup.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/share-groups

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    At the moment, Public is Public and Private is Private - and no, there's not a way around it.

They should be in a private, password gallery, if this is your concern. Share the link with her, via a url direct to the gallery, or via a sharegroup.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/share-groups

I hope this helps.

Hmm, If I put a link from my smugmug site to the private/passworded gallery will this work for what I want? Or will it get crawled by a spider and violated as well :uhoh

PS I just tested sharegroups and it does not maintain the CSS color scheme of the rest of my site?
    http://caseserve.smugmug.com/share/THz0wngSssj5U
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2006
    caseserve wrote:
    PS I just tested sharegroups and it does not maintain the CSS color scheme of the rest of my site?
    http://caseserve.smugmug.com/share/THz0wngSssj5U

I think there's some CSS you need to add - make a post in the customization forum and either I or Lee will try to find that.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2006
    caseserve wrote:
    Hmm, If I put a link from my smugmug site to the private/passworded gallery will this work for what I want? Or will it get crawled by a spider and violated as well :uhoh

If it's on your homepage, and public, it will be accessible by the search engines.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I think there's some CSS you need to add - make a post in the customization forum and either I or Lee will try to find that.

We're actually working on this now - JT is - no promises on if/when but it's in the works, so standby...
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    We're actually working on this now - JT is - no promises on if/when but it's in the works, so standby...

Thank you,