Options

Lulu calendar question

PegPeg Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited January 11, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi everyone,
Another Lulu thread! I just received my first calendar from them and was very pleased with it. The photo quality was excellent and overall, a very nice calendar.
The only thing I didn't like was the way my captions were displayed. At the bottom of the photo in a long white box were the words I wrote. It doesn't look slick and almost ruins the photo because it stands out so much.

Can those captions be placed on the month page below the picture?

Or is there some other way to do the caption so it doesn't appear in a white box? I went back to the editing page and couldn't find any options to choose to change it. I guess I could just omit them but I really want the information about the photo to appear.

Maybe it's time to drag out my HTML manual??
Thanks.
Peg

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    Peg wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    Another Lulu thread! I just received my first calendar from them and was very pleased with it. The photo quality was excellent and overall, a very nice calendar.
    The only thing I didn't like was the way my captions were displayed. At the bottom of the photo in a long white box were the words I wrote. It doesn't look slick and almost ruins the photo because it stands out so much.

Can those captions be placed on the month page below the picture?

Or is there some other way to do the caption so it doesn't appear in a white box? I went back to the editing page and couldn't find any options to choose to change it. I guess I could just omit them but I really want the information about the photo to appear.

Maybe it's time to drag out my HTML manual??
    Thanks.
    Peg

I did mine in my photo itself.

40233024-L.jpg

Did the same in 2005, for the smaller calendar...

10098320-M.jpg

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2006
    Your calendars look great, Andy. I'll have to work on mine and delete those captions.
    Speaking of the calendar! Is there a way to put a link to my calendar onto my smugmug page?
    Thanks.
    Peg
  • Options
    asdasd Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    Peg wrote:
    Is there a way to put a link to my calendar onto my smugmug page?

It looks like you're a smugmug basic user, yeah? If so, then you could put the link in your bio (though I see you're not showing yours) or in an album description. Both of those allow HTML - what's below might work for you (I found the calendar link in your pbase profile ;).
    If you like my photos, check out my <a href="http://www.lulu.com/content/207463">2006 Sonoran Desert Calendar</a>.

• Options
    edited January 11, 2006
    That worked!
    Thanks, asd. Now I need to work on that bio.
    Peg
  • Options
    spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    I was dissapointed in my Lulu calendar
    The photo quality was fine.

It was the paper that was such a disappointment.

I had gotten my 2005 Calendar printed at Ofoto. Which is a totally different animal, because you have to do your own distribution. But still, I was expecting the print, paper and packaging quality to be matched by Lulu. The price was the same. (8.5" x 11")

The Lulu paper quality was much lighter weight. The pages stuck together at the hole, so they tore just a little as you opened them. Two of the months were printed slightly askew. And the whole thing came wrinkled. There was a lot of packing material, but it was still bent.

I was totally embarrassed to have sold this calendar. I immediately dropped my price.

I wish I had gotten it together to get my proof earlier.

I will be shopping for a new publisher next year.

If you have any recommendations, I'd love to hear about them.

thanks!
    -Trish