Options

Feeding the goose

gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
edited August 4, 2004 in Landscapes
been trying to salvage a difficult situation. Too extreme?? I've been trying so many effects I've lost my way, but I do like this (I think :dunno)

6881749-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    it doesn't grab me, gubby. i'm missing the mom-face and the girl is really dark.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    andy wrote:
    it doesn't grab me, gubby. i'm missing the mom-face and the girl is really dark.
    I missed one here, could have been good but I was too slow, and messed up! Then she was gone!
    Your right, but I find that I'm influenced by the actual scene that is still in my head, so I sometimes see the shot better than it is, if you know what I mean ne_nau.gif

Thanks
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2004
    So much of street shooting is being able to react quickly, I've discovered. I've missed countless opportunities because I was slow to react, had the camera on the wrong setting, or the moment was simply too transitory. I try to keep the camera on a setting that gives me flexibility and a decent shutter speed - usually aperature priority at around f5 and ISO200 (the lowest ISO on my camera.) I sacrifice depth of field, but hopefully can react quickly.

Looks like in this shot you were defeated by the extreme contrast in light. I'd think that sort of scene forces you to make a quick decision - to expose for the light or the shadow? If shooting in RAW, you might be able to get away with exposing for the light and hope to draw the detail from the shadow in post-processing. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    So much of street shooting is being able to react quickly, I've discovered. I've missed countless opportunities because I was slow to react, had the camera on the wrong setting, or the moment was simply too transitory. I try to keep the camera on a setting that gives me flexibility and a decent shutter speed - usually aperature priority at around f5 and ISO200 (the lowest ISO on my camera.) I sacrifice depth of field, but hopefully can react quickly.

Looks like in this shot you were defeated by the extreme contrast in light. I'd think that sort of scene forces you to make a quick decision - to expose for the light or the shadow? If shooting in RAW, you might be able to get away with exposing for the light and hope to draw the detail from the shadow in post-processing. ne_nau.gif
    I was set up for shooting in dark archways, tripod attached etc... I need to get in the habit of resetting straight away.
    I did shoot it in raw so maybe I'll try taking a couple of different exposures off and blending them. There must be a tutorial on that somewhere :D
    Thanks Sid