The (Old Photos Only) Dgrin Game - Comments Thread

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited June 13, 2012 in The Big Picture
Guys, post your comments on the game, photos, etc, here in this thread.

Here's the Game Thread

I'll start: Read the rules. Pics only, no chatter. Only ONE pic in the game thread, at a time, until someone associates with yours. Short captions are OK in this game - date/location/something unique :D

:thumb

Comments

• JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Guys, post your comments on the game, photos, etc, here in this thread.

Here's the Game Thread

I'll start: Read the rules. Pics only, no chatter. Only ONE pic in the game thread, at a time, until someone associates with yours.

thumb.gif

oops, I some how missed the one photo thing. IMHO, the info with the photos, who, where, what made it worth doing, rereading now with that info missing makes it a waste.

James.
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    Ben,

That photo of yours cracks me up, I LOVE IT!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    oops, I some how missed the one photo thing. IMHO, the info with the photos, who, where, what made it worth doing, rereading now with that info missing makes it a waste.

James.

That's what this thread is for - if someone wants to know more, you can tell them :D
    edited January 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    That's what this thread is for - if someone wants to know more, you can tell them :D

contextual info is lost if it is out of context. I doubt many people will view the thread and scroll the comments thread at the same time. I understand keeping comments out of that thread, I do not understand taking out pert info about the shot.

James.
    edited January 8, 2006
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    contextual info is lost if it is out of context. I doubt many people will view the thread and scroll the comments thread at the same time. I understand keeping comments out of that thread, I do not understand taking out pert info about the shot.

James.

We can, of course, change it -- let's see what people say, ok? Maybe a short caption wouldn't be a bad thing? ne_nau.gif
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    We can, of course, change it -- let's see what people say, ok? Maybe a short caption wouldn't be a bad thing? ne_nau.gif

On the other Photo Association Game thread, I like the "no talking" rule. But for this game, some context for the shot would make it more interesting. But only a few words. Subject, year, relationship, etc. No comments on association to previous pic.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

edited January 8, 2006
    On the other Photo Association Game thread, I like the "no talking" rule. But for this game, some context for the shot would make it more interesting. But only a few words. Subject, year, relationship, etc. No comments on association to previous pic.

I rather agree with that
    edited January 8, 2006
    OK :D I modded the rulez - cool?
    edited January 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks, with this thread I think that makes it much more interesting. However you didn't edit your first post in that thread. :D

James.
    edited January 8, 2006
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    Thanks, with this thread I think that makes it much more interesting. However you didn't edit your first post in that thread. :D

James.

Fixed.
    edited January 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:

That be coolthumb.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 8, 2006
    Funny you should put up this game now, Andy. The smugmug account and scanner I gifted my mom for xmas are really getting a workout! Get ready to see lots of little Doctorit's...

lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited January 10, 2006
    Ivar,

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=226263#post226263

Very cool! There was an article in "American Photo" recently about a guy who went to a small town area in Arkansas and purchased every photo made by a certain portrait photographer in the early 1900s - he amassed a colleciton of thousands - they were very similar to yours!
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Ivar,

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=226263#post226263

Very cool! There was an article in "American Photo" recently about a guy who went to a small town area in Arkansas and purchased every photo made by a certain portrait photographer in the early 1900s - he amassed a colleciton of thousands - they were very similar to yours!
    Thanks, i love those old photos. Alot of them, including this one, are from Kosice, Slovakia (used to be from Hungary i believe) All the ones i have posted are from people somehow related to me. Our family has 1000s of them, and they are slowly but surely being digitized, mainly by my dad. I think we are up to 6Gb already. Quite a few in good condition. Even a few from the 1800s!

I have heard about stories similar to the one you mentioned; people going somewhere to find pictures of a certain photographer. I have a hard time keeping up with my own fotos, let alone got time to find others. Almost all my fotos are film, and i need to scan nearly all of them...:D
    edited January 10, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Alot of them, including this one, are from Kosice, Slovakia (used to be from Hungary i believe)
    headscratch.gif

what do you mean by used to be from Hungary? Like way back, when it was all the Austro-Hungarian empire? Kinda funny as I was educating Andy on the history of Czechs and Slovaks, not Czechoslovaks, the other day.
    :D

Kosice is a really nice city, btw. It's second in size to Bratislave, but in my opinion, a nicer place to visit.
    nod.gif

Ivar, you have quite a collection! wow!
    Erik

edited January 10, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    headscratch.gif

what do you mean by used to be from Hungary? Like way back, when it was all the Austro-Hungarian empire? Kinda funny as I was educating Andy on the history of Czechs and Slovaks, not Czechoslovaks, the other day.
    :D

Kosice is a really nice city, btw. It's second in size to Bratislave, but in my opinion, a nicer place to visit.
    nod.gif

Ivar, you have quite a collection! wow!

Slovakia used to be a part of Hungary, till somewhere in the 1910s i believe, i don't remember the exact year. After that the Czechoslovak period, and then the Czech and Slovaks, not too long ago. Even I can remember that happening, and i am not that old :D

The problem is that the collection keeps on growing, and growing. The bigger problem is that with most photos i have no idea of what or who is on them.ne_nau.gif My grandparents who are still alive know most of them, my dad already knows alot less, and i know hardly anything about them. So alot of notes and folders :D

Andy, did the article give a reason as to why the guy was buying all the photos?
    edited January 10, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Slovakia used to be a part of Hungary, till somewhere in the 1910s i believe, i don't remember the exact year. After that the Czechoslovak period, and then the Czech and Slovaks, not too long ago.
    some more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosice
    edited January 11, 2006
    New line of comment: is it me or was anyone else a bit surprised to see our own rahmonster was a wee baby in 1987! She makes me look like an old goat!

Heya kiddo! wave.gif

lol3.gif
    Erik

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    New line of comment: is it me or was anyone else a bit surprised to see our own rahmonster was a wee baby in 1987! She makes me look like an old goat!

Heya kiddo! wave.gif

lol3.gif

Yikes !! I bought my 1st house in '87. :uhoh
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

edited January 11, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

Heya kiddo! wave.gif

lol3.gif

I have shoes, and something in the freezer, that date before 1987 naughty.gif
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited January 11, 2006
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I have shoes, and something in the freezer, that date before 1987 naughty.gif

rolleyes1.gifI have just had my bithday (Jan 11th) I was born in 87 that makes me 19 I'm pretty surerolleyes1.gif

(now the jig is up)
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
    edited January 11, 2006
    It must have been taken around Xmas 87.

edited January 12, 2006
    I love this game rolleyes1.gifthumb
    edited January 12, 2006
    rahmonster wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifI have just had my bithday (Jan 11th) I was born in 87 that makes me 19 I'm pretty surerolleyes1.gif

(now the jig is up)
    Well in that case: :bday
    Erik

edited January 14, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Well in that case: :bday

edited January 18, 2006
    Andy this is fantastic!

Wonderful idea.

edited March 16, 2006
    photodoug, very cool, is that santa claus?
    edited November 4, 2006
    No one wants to play anymore? Should I make it easier?