Options

Street Artist

rdcottonrdcotton Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited January 11, 2006 in Street and Documentary
I'm posting this as a way of introduction to the site. I'm a novice that got started by shooting my kids's sporting events.

This shot was taken a couple of years ago in Jackson Square, New Orleans. I realize that there are some hotspots on the artist's shirt and that I should have maybe focused more on the canvas. Any criticism that you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Ray

Comments

• Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    Great image. I like that you got the artist, subject and canvas all in one shot. The hotspot on the shirt to me really isn't a issue. Next time you might try and get multiple images from the same angle. One with artist in focus, one with canvas in focus, one with subject in focus, one with all in focus. What I find is that having all and being able to make a choice later is nice.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    ShannonWShannonW Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    Welcome,:D

I like this shot as well, nice light except for the back of the shirt. Maybe a tighter crop would be all it needs!
  • Options
    rdcottonrdcotton Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 11, 2006
    Thanks guys ... I appreciate the feedback.

Ray
  • Options
    TopRowTopRow Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    When I first looked at the pic, I wanted the artist's subject to be in focus, but the more that I looked, the more I like the focus just the way it is. bham's advice is certainly one for me to remember too--take several different shots and then you can pick the best later. However, murphy's law will dictate that you will still want the one variation that you didn't get! Welcome to dgrin!
  • Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    Welcome to Dgrin. What a great first post. You know, I didnt see the hotspots till you pointed them out because I was too busy checking out the likenesses between the drawing and the subject:D
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso