Options

san francisco by night

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited August 4, 2004 in Wildlife
shot this on thursday evening, processed and created this today. this view is from treasure island in san francisco bay. that's about one-half of the bay bridge on the left.

ir-modified sony f828, xnitecc1 color correction filter aboard. 4 seconds @ f/3.2. in post, added the fog two clouds, and the moon.

6024006-L.jpg

i salvaged this shot from this, here's what it was like out of the camera (well, shot in raw and then converted with no adjustments). the big light you see are the lights of the san francisco giants baseball field, they were playing a night game.

6019125-L.jpg

there's more of my trip to san fran in this thread

enjoy (nightshot) photography,

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    The wide angle here is working in a way that it usually doesn't for me. The addition of the moon solves the composition problem.

I know SF very well and, well, it isn't a pink town. The hills are golden in the summer or green when it rains. The water is blue. The city itself is brightly colored. The city is almost never hot and when it is, it's dry. So as beautiful as pink is, I'd try a different color choice here. B&W is the obvious choice, but I think I'd like to see blue. SF is the ultimate "cool" city, at least for me. Why not capture this?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    The wide angle here is working in a way that it usually doesn't for me. The addition of the moon solves the composition problem.

I know SF very well and, well, it isn't a pink town. The hills are golden in the summer or green when it rains. The water is blue. The city itself is brightly colored. The city is almost never hot and when it is, it's dry. So as beautiful as pink is, I'd try a different color choice here. B&W is the obvious choice, but I think I'd like to see blue. SF is the ultimate "cool" city, at least for me. Why not capture this?
    Like this:

6892121-L.jpg

Or this:

6892123-L.jpg

The first is just the result of inverting both A and B curves in LAB. For the second, I flattened the A curve (who needs any green or magenta in this shot) and inverted the B curve, trading yellow for blue.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2004
    One more thought. When you lost the stadium lights, you also lost the lovely water surface and reflections of the city on the water in the foreground. I'd like to see that retained somehow. I think it would look better with the cool color cast.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2004
    thanks rutt ..
    here's the first edit i did on this shot, the night i shot it three weeks ago

5969689-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2004
    It's a beautiful composition and the moon adds a lot and I agree with muting the stadium lights. Maybe the fog could be a little more localized so the reflection of the city and water surface could still show.

I like the colors in my second LAB edit better than either the pink or B&W. I'd like those colors and the moon and just enough fog to lose the stadium lights and tone down their bright reflection on the water. What do you think?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    It's a beautiful composition and the moon adds a lot and I agree with muting the stadium lights. Maybe the fog could be a little more localized so the reflection of the city and water surface could still show.

I like the colors in my second LAB edit better than either the pink or B&W. I'd like those colors and the moon and just enough fog to lose the stadium lights and tone down their bright reflection on the water. What do you think?

dunno. the pink is the way it was, that night. you can see it in the out of camera shot....

i'm going back in a week, i'll be shooting there again....
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    andy wrote:
    dunno. the pink is the way it was, that night. you can see it in the out of camera shot....
    That brings up a good question. Isn't this an IR shot? I don't really understand much about that, but do the colors actually look the same as they do to the human eye? Also, I find that shooting at night results in odd colors, often warmer than perceived by eye. So does what comes out of the camera represent some sort of truth here beyond merely technical?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    nope
    rutt wrote:
    That brings up a good question. Isn't this an IR shot? I don't really understand much about that, but do the colors actually look the same as they do to the human eye? Also, I find that shooting at night results in odd colors, often warmer than perceived by eye. So does what comes out of the camera represent some sort of truth here beyond merely technical?

it is not an ir shot. it's normal color photography....
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 4, 2004
    i gotta say, i really like the more "untouched" shot better. maybe that stadium blows out, but the reflection (as rutt noted) is rather a nice effect across the water. Dunno, maybe there's just too much fog there for me... seems like half the frame is just pink fog.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    andy wrote:
    it is not an ir shot. it's normal color photography....
    So I've been thinking about this and I realize I have a question. Does your camera have a WB setting for "night"? Does the raw conversion have this?
    I'm guessing not and that you made a decision at some level about the color temperature of this shot. So what are the "real" colors? Can we find out?
    Or do we get to choose, either during the raw conversion or afterward?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    So I've been thinking about this and I realize I have a question. Does your camera have a WB setting for "night"? Does the raw conversion have this?
    I'm guessing not and that you made a decision at some level about the color temperature of this shot. So what are the "real" colors? Can we find out?
    Or do we get to choose, either during the raw conversion or afterward?

this was the color of the night, i'm trying to tell you this mwink.gif and yeah, the 828 has wb settings, of course. and this was shot in raw, and converted in ps cs.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    andy wrote:
    this was the color of the night, i'm trying to tell you this mwink.gif and yeah, the 828 has wb settings, of course. and this was shot in raw, and converted in ps cs.
    This was actually a technical not artistic question. Is there a "night" setting for the ps/cs conversion thing for this camera? There isn't one for the canon camras I've used. So what exactly did you do when you made the conversion? Is there a way to know it is right (like a white/black card)? I'm interested in how true night shot colors can be and whetehr there is an objective way to find out. I think you do a lot of night shooting and I'm just starting to. I often end up with surprising colors.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    This was actually a technical not artistic question. Is there a "night" setting for the ps/cs conversion thing for this camera? There isn't one for the canon camras I've used. So what exactly did you do when you made the conversion? Is there a way to know it is right (like a white/black card)? I'm interested in how true night shot colors can be and whetehr there is an objective way to find out. I think you do a lot of night shooting and I'm just starting to. I often end up with surprising colors.

i will usually set the in-camera wb to "cloudy" for a touch of warmth. there's no "nightshot setting" button, to answer your question.... but again, you *can* alter in the raw conversion, and get any color temp you want. this shot is as close to the color as i remember it from that night.

here's my brief tutorial on night shot post processing...