Options

Holocaust.

cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
edited August 4, 2004 in Holy Macro
So I went to Boston's Holocaust memorial to take pictures of the lines of numbers for the challenge and came to two conclusions. One is that my photos can not do justice to the subject and the other was that even if I could take the finest photo in the world, I would not use it for a contest.

The many many millions of numbers etched into the glass of the too many towers of the monument turn it into a green grey statement of death where every number adorned the forearm of a concentration camp victim, whose bones became soap, whose skin became lampshades, whose smoke and ashes blew across Europe and Asia... Go there. Look at the numbers from afar. Go close and read the numbers close up. Read the statements carved into the stone you walk on. And fear not to shed tears, they are the homage to the dead.

2369_holocaust_s.jpg

2370_holocaust_s.jpg

2372_holocaust_s.jpg

2374_holocaust_s.jpg
Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph

Comments

• Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    Thanks for sharing this Charles..i think you are doing them justice; by your pictures and your story. I understand what you mean though; it would be weird to use something like this for your own benefit. But pictures and stories like this will make people aware and remember!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:

2372_holocaust_s.jpg

One of your best ever, Charles. I also like the rocks shot - it reminds me of the end of the movie Shoah... I couldn't stop the tears.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:
    Thanks for sharing this Charles..i think you are doing them justice; by your pictures and your story. I understand what you mean though; it would be weird to use something like this for your own benefit. But pictures and stories like this will make people aware and remember!
    wxwax wrote:
    One of your best ever, Charles. I also like the rocks shot - it reminds me of the end of the movie Shoah... I couldn't stop the tears.
    Thank you, both of you.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    Very moving shots Charles. especially the last two... thanks.
    Lynn
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2004
    I was too involved in bikinis, bike racing, and turtles and I missed these. They are very good and the narative was moving.

I wonder if there is a way to get photos that tell more of the story. Perhaps some reflections of faces in the glass over the numbers? I don't really know. I love these photos, but the subject seems very very deep and a great photographer, like Cartier-Bresson, might be able to tell a more complex story here.

So I guess, I'd say this is a place worth revisiting with your camera often.
    If not now, when?