Alex on Nantucket

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited August 5, 2004 in Holy Macro
The waves from huricane Alex have reached Nantucket, bringing general joy on the south shore.

6947463-L.jpg

6947481-L.jpg

6947582-L.jpg

6947586-L.jpg

6947699-L.jpg

Well, I clearly have something to learn about shooting surfing pictures. I was using my 100-400 with the 1.4 extender. Maybe it isn't sharp? But, I took these with the same combo and aperature:

6947492-L.jpg

6947523-L.jpg

I think they are plenty sharp. Less zoom, though. And less reach out into the water. And all directly away from the sun. Any thoughts on this? Jim, anyone else?

I got these after I packed up and was leaving. I had to dig the camera out of the bag pronto. As always, shooting action shots is like the best excersize for shots where I do have a little more time to compose and think.

6947710-L.jpg

6947723-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    The waves from huricane Alex have reached Nantucket, bringing general joy on the south shore.

Well, I clearly have something to learn about shooting surfing pictures. I was using my 100-400 with the 1.4 extender. Maybe it isn't sharp? But, I took these with the same combo and aperature:

I think they are plenty sharp. Less zoom, though. And less reach out into the water. And all directly away from the sun. Any thoughts on this? Jim, anyone else?

I got these after I packed up and was leaving. I had to dig the camera out of the bag pronto. As always, shooting action shots is like the best excersize for shots where I do have a little more time to compose and think.

Rutt I love some of these shots.. I thought the surf shots could use a little more curves but then I thought maybe the soft color was nice. The girl sitting on the beach is lovely and I love the sufer guy looking out to sea but I would have cropped the left hand stuff out I think. The shot of the person and dog walking away on the sand is beautiful, the light on the sand is lovely. The doggies are wonderful.. such an active fun shot. I love em..clap.gif
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Rutt I love some of these shots.. I thought the surf shots could use a little more curves but then I thought maybe the soft color was nice. The girl sitting on the beach is lovely and I love the sufer guy looking out to sea but I would have cropped the left hand stuff out I think. The shot of the person and dog walking away on the sand is beautiful, the light on the sand is lovely. The doggies are wonderful.. such an active fun shot. I love em..clap.gif
    Right, no post of any kind applied to any of these shots yet, not even RAW conversion. The camera is set for no sharpening and low saturation jpegs, so they really are pretty much untouched. They are just the jpgs (but I do have the raws, one of the great pleasures of the 1Dmkii.) I'm really looking for some technical help. I think pro surf shooters know something about getting sharp images that I don't know. Probably I'll post on FM and accept the humilation in order to possibly get the lesson.

A couple of more from a little earlier in the day:

6937310-L.jpg

6937798-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    rutt wrote:

Great shots. My main suggestion is to look at the histograms. Did you shot raw?
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    6937798-S.jpg

Dude, this one's great!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Great shots. My main suggestion is to look at the histograms. Did you shot raw?
    Yeah, raw+l. My new favorite for everything but baseball. But I'm going to nead an EMS storage system and an oc3 as supporting infrastructure.
    If not now, when?