Options

Sunset - Moonset....

snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
edited August 5, 2004 in Holy Macro
I took a few sunset pictures the other night. The moon was also going down. It was to the left of the sun between the two mountains. Here is the first shot.

6397080-M.jpg

Then I moved the camera to the right in order to put the sun on the left side of the picture. Only after looking at the pictures on my computer did I see this "moon". There is no way the moon could have been to the right of the sun. But, it is there. Can anyone tell me how this could happen? It is not a reflection because I was outside on my deck. The moon was on the left of the sun a few seconds before. What is going on? Here's the second picture:
6397082-M.jpg
Tonight the moon is higher in the sky and will set a little later. You can still see that it will end up setting between the two mountain tops, not to the north of them. I can't figure this one out. The camera doesn't lie. Or does it? :scratch
"A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
Susan Appel Photography My Blog

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    snappy, can't see the piccies!
    snapapple wrote:
    I took a few sunset pictures the other night. The moon was also going down. It was to the left of the sun between the two mountains. Here is the first shot.

6397080-M.jpg

Then I moved the camera to the right in order to put the sun on the left side of the picture. Only after looking at the pictures on my computer did I see this "moon". There is no way the moon could have been to the right of the sun. But, it is there. Can anyone tell me how this could happen? It is not a reflection because I was outside on my deck. The moon was on the left of the sun a few seconds before. What is going on? Here's the second picture:
    6397082-M.jpg
    Tonight the moon is higher in the sky and will set a little later. You can still see that it will end up setting between the two mountain tops, not to the north of them. I can't figure this one out. The camera doesn't lie. Or does it? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    Oops!
    andy wrote:
    snappy, can't see the piccies!
    I moved them to the wrong gallery. You should be able to see them now.
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2004
    I cant figure it out either ne_nau.gif
    Beautiful colours though
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    I cant figure it out either ne_nau.gif
    Beautiful colours though
    It is a kind of internal lens flare. Note that the 'moon' and the sun are equidistant from the center of the frame. It is the actual image of the sun reversed.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    It is a kind of internal lens flare.
    That's what I was thinking too. The color seemed wrong unless you had changed it a lot in PS, and the shape didn't seem right unless the top was being clipped by clouds.

Those a very nice shots, and I love that view from your deck. I bet looking out over that scene never gets old!
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    That's what I was thinking too. The color seemed wrong unless you had changed it a lot in PS, and the shape didn't seem right unless the top was being clipped by clouds.

Those a very nice shots, and I love that view from your deck. I bet looking out over that scene never gets old!

Thanks DJ,
    I didn't change a thing. This is just how it came out of the camera. It looked to me like the moon going down through the clouds, only it shouldn't be there.

Thanks Charles,
    You probably have the answer. A lens flare. Pretty spooky though. It's only a half circle and the sun is bigger. Well, that must be it. Thanks for solving the mystery.