edited August 4, 2004
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2004
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Nice shots Gubbster.. takes me back a bit! You might wanna explain to these Yanks what allotments are and where they originate from :D
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Nice shots Gubbster.. takes me back a bit! You might wanna explain to these Yanks what allotments are and where they originate from :D
    wartime family farming? I'm a bit young, but that's my guess...

Nice shots as usual, Gubbs. I only visited the UK a few times but your photos are a nice reminder of the atmosphere. I'll get back someday. thumb.gif
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2004
    6924434-S.jpg

This is a good composition.

6924792-S.jpg

This is beautiful, but maybe there is a crop that would make it catch the eye better. I held my hand over it a few different ways and didn't find it, but I think it's worth playing with.

All 3 would benefit from LAB A channel steepening to make the greenry pop. It gets to be a reflex response -- vegatation == LAB steepening. You just have to decide how much.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    6924434-S.jpg

Gubbs I love this one.clap.gif Like the others, too. No I have no idea what allotments are, all I ever heard about was rationing.

Is this where you took the picture of your wife? Do you have a pro site at smugmug, or a regular one?

I still love that photo of your wife.

The onions are good, but they would have to go in a kitchen, IMO.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Apparently, Allotments have been around since Elizabethan days, but really became popular during WWII with the governments "Dig for Victory" campaign. (i didn't know all this, had to look it up) Any spare bit of urban greenery was used, they dug up parks, football pitches, etc.... There are still quite a few about, usually on the edges of town and usually owned by the local council who let them out. This one is quite large and is split into around 50 allotments of about 15 sq yds, growing mainly vegetables, fruit and a few flowers. Quite a few empty ones now too.

Ginger,
    I am a "POWER USER" :lift rolleyes1.gif
    I did send you a PM a few weeks ago about the picture of my wife, I wouldn't let you pay for one! Let me know which one you want and I'll sort it out, was it the greenhouse reflection?

Rutt

LAB curves tonight if I get time.... more homework:D

Thanks for the help
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    6924435-S.jpg
    This one's my favorite, Gubbs. I really like the strong composition, draws the eye through the shot, across the diagonal. The midday sun makes it hard to fool with the lighting, but maybe messing with it a little might change the harshness of the light? I really like the simplicity and strength of the composition.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    rutt wrote:

This is a good composition.

This is beautiful, but maybe there is a crop that would make it catch the eye better. I held my hand over it a few different ways and didn't find it, but I think it's worth playing with.

All 3 would benefit from LAB A channel steepening to make the greenry pop. It gets to be a reflex response -- vegatation == LAB steepening. You just have to decide how much.
    Had a go with this one....

6962061-L.jpg