Options

best image size for smugmug

kapaluakapalua Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited January 16, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Newbie question:

Given that Smugmug gives us unlimited storage size, is there any reason (other than speed of download) NOT to download the full maximum resolution files for my galleries?

To put it another way, can you really tell the difference between an image downloaded at full resolution (from my 8mp camera) versus an image saved as a smaller size (say, 1000 x 667 pixels)? thanks.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    kapalua wrote:
    Newbie question:

Given that Smugmug gives us unlimited storage size, is there any reason (other than speed of download) NOT to download the full maximum resolution files for my galleries?

To put it another way, can you really tell the difference between an image downloaded at full resolution (from my 8mp camera) versus an image saved as a smaller size (say, 1000 x 667 pixels)? thanks.

Do you mean upload from your computer to SmugMug? Most folks cannot tell the difference between fullest size resolution and Photoshop 10 - which is considered Lab Quality. There are many images that can stand more compression but to answer your question directly - off of your camera, and then saved as Photoshop 10 will be wonderful. Just resizing the image does not necessarily change the compression.

BTW the Universal Drag and Drop Uploader has an auto-resize capability, automagically making your huge files 1280px on the longest side while it uploads to SmugMug.

Great question!
  • Options
    DmitrySDmitryS Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    BTW the Universal Drag and Drop Uploader has an auto-resize capability, automagically making your huge files 1280px on the longest side while it uploads to SmugMug.
    Andy, I think I'm missing something.
    Does it mean that if I use Drag and Drop Uploader to upload image from my 8MP camera, it shrinks it and I will never have 8MP original stored at smugmug? That certainly wasn't the case for other uploader!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    DmitryS wrote:
    Andy, I think I'm missing something.
    Does it mean that if I use Drag and Drop Uploader to upload image from my 8MP camera, it shrinks it and I will never have 8MP original stored at smugmug? That certainly wasn't the case for other uploader!

Dmitri, it's an option - if you don't use it, your image is loaded up at full-size.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    DmitrySDmitryS Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    Thanks