Options

Live everyday like it is your last!

4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
edited January 18, 2006 in People
Here are a couple of photographs of my father-in-law with Sam. Three months ago he was relatively healthy for someone 80 and for the most part independant. Today he can't do anything on his own and barely knows his name or where he is. I brought Sam to see him for the first time since he took ill. It was sad to see that sparkle in his eyes gone...

52695617-M-1.jpg

52695623-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    He looks so undigified in the last picture... It is sad in so many ways.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    That's so sad.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    Sorry, 4labs, I know the feeling.

Stan
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    My grandfather had a stroke when I was 7. 5 years of slow decline. Very sad. I remember the applesauce medicine he took. I feel for you...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    BrianLowtherBrianLowther Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    Thank you.

My wife's grandmother died on Sunday night aged 89.
    She aged so much in the last year, the sparkle was gone.
    I remember 2 months ago visiting her to take some photographs. Even with my adorable daughter she could not smile.

Your first photograph reminds me of her in the good days.

Brian
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they dislike: it was a wise man, and it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed"
    - W. Somerset Maugham
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    Yikes!

Gonna run for cover, that is scary!

Sorry about your father in law, Sam looks happy. Big blue eyes.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    Thanks for posting this Labs. I'm sure a lot of people on here can relate with you. My grandfather was deathly ill in the hospital in the fall and almost passed. But in December he turned 89 and is at home being as healthy as an 89 year old can be. He has not yet lost that sparkle in his eyes but in the hospital it almost fizzled out. Even though his spark is gone at least he had the chance to meet beautiful little Sam. Even though he doesn't show it in the second picture I'm sure seeing his happy healthy grandaughter still fills his heart with joy. Good luck to you and your family Labs.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    I agree with Nick on the feeling part. We all feel the same we did when we were 20, unless it is alzheimers, then I have no clue.

But just knowing me, well, I sure feel a lot younger (am 66) than I "thought" my parents did when they were this age.

If I were on my death bed and couldn't express much of anything, didn't want to and hurt all over, I would still be happy to hold my grandchild. If I couldn't see or hear her, I would be happy to smell her. I kid you not, the body goes, but if the mind is there at all, we are still kids, just damn mad at the body.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    aurafloraauraflora Registered Users Posts: 471 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    Yes, it is very sad. Don;t I know it!

Day by day..

Michal
  • Options
    livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I agree with Nick on the feeling part. We all feel the same we did when we were 20, unless it is alzheimers, then I have no clue.

But just knowing me, well, I sure feel a lot younger (am 66) than I "thought" my parents did when they were this age.

If I were on my death bed and couldn't express much of anything, didn't want to and hurt all over, I would still be happy to hold my grandchild. If I couldn't see or hear her, I would be happy to smell her. I kid you not, the body goes, but if the mind is there at all, we are still kids, just damn mad at the body.

ginger

ginger, i can so understand what you mean. i turn 60 this year, and have been having knee probs and pain, and it gets to you when you still feel like you did mentally years ago.

on the other hand, my mom is 84 and has her share of ups and downs, yet still has a vibrant mind, has learned more about her computer in the past month as we have been fixing it than kids know......and complains that all the people she bowls with act so old.

but it is sad when that will seems gone.......
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    That seems like a fast decline. Sorry to hear about this 4Labs. Hope you and your family can take comfort from each other.

Erich