Options

Question about Drag & Drop

NikonGirlNikonGirl Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
edited January 17, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I am trying to use the Drag & Drop Upload for the first time. However, I accidently closed the window that asks if I want to accept Rads Ink (or something like that). Now when I select Drag & Drop again, I don't get the option to accept Rads Ink, and all I get is a red X. I am using Firefox.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    NikonGirl wrote:
    I am trying to use the Drag & Drop Upload for the first time. However, I accidently closed the window that asks if I want to accept Rads Ink (or something like that). Now when I select Drag & Drop again, I don't get the option to accept Rads Ink, and all I get is a red X. I am using Firefox.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Yep - quit/close and Reopen Firefox. Go to your SmugMug site. Add Photos. You'll be asked again to accept the litte software code from Rad Inks... say Yes.. and you'll be fine thumb.gif

All the best,

Andy
  • Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    Please try Andy's Solution first. I was kind of assuming that doing that didn't work.

Just make sure that Firefox has actually gone away, occasionally it 'trails'

NikonGirl wrote:
    I don't get the option to accept Rads Ink, and all I get is a red X. I am using Firefox.

Firstly, try rebooting your machine. That may solve the problem.

For Java Applets to talk to your local machine they require an enhanced priviledge. What will have happened is that when you clicked the cross you will have denied the application the right to execute. To prevent a moderately evil form of security attack Java may assume that you meant to say 'no you can't run now, or indeed ever'. The only way I've been able to replicate this is when Firefox crashes to 'can't use, but doesn't close down properly'. Regretably a fairly common occurance.

If this doesn't work you can try deleting your user permission cache.

You're really not going to like what I'm about to suggest that you do:

0. Close everything except Firefox
    1. Load the page containing the uploader cross
    2. Right-click and click 'Open Java Console'

A window will open with garbage spewwed across it

34. Click on the Java Console and press 's'

A whole new lot of garbage will be spewwed across the screen

Towards the end of the it you will see a line like:

'deployment.user.security.trusted.certs = C:\Documents and Settings\Luke Church.POLYMORPHIX\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\security\trusted.certs'

(The important bit is that the beginning reads 'deployment.user.security.trusted.certs')

This is a path to a file. You must navigate to this path in Explorer, or whatever.

The easiest way to do this is to copy and paste your equivalent to

'C:\Documents and Settings\Luke Church.POLYMORPHIX\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\security'

into the address bar. I.e. Everything except trusted.certs

Locate the 'trusted.certs' file and move it to a backup folder.

Reboot your machine.

When Java-reruns it will now regenerate your policy cache. Any Java applets that you have trusted rather than the system trusting will have to be reaccepted.

If you're a timid computer user, then you might like to wait to see if anyone else has a more sane suggestion.

Also, I strongly advise that if anything seems to go wrong during this procedure, you stop and get back to me.

Hope this helps to some degree, if it doesn't work get back to me and I'll try again to make my machine do what yours is doing...

Luke
  • Options
    NikonGirlNikonGirl Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    Andy and Luke - Thank you for your answers! I apologize for not responding right away. This is the first chance I've had to log on and try uploading again.

I cleared my cache and rebooted twice, but I was finally prompted to accept the code from Rad Inks! And it works great!
    clap.gif
    And all this time I've been selecting one picture at a time - I really should have done this sooner!

And Luke - I really appreciate you taking the time to give me an alternate solution in case Andy's suggestion didn't work. I admit I'm a bit relieved that I didn't have to do all that you instructed.

Again - thank you Andy and Luke!