edited October 29, 2004 in Landscapes
7002952-L.jpg

she's now in my "new york at asa 1600" gallery, located here

enjoy (street) photography,

Comments

• ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2004
    Thanks for sharing..........
    Andy, those are very good pictures..........to greatish.

Curious, can you do that? Without releases?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited August 6, 2004
    From Street To Beach, or
    My Street Photography, smile, ginger would I need a release?

6860806-L.jpg
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2004
    releases for street photography
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Andy, those are very good pictures..........to greatish.

Curious, can you do that? Without releases?

ginger

here in the u.s. you do not require releases for folks shot in public. unless, you are going to use them for commercial purposes, like in an ad, or for the cover or promotion of a book. they can even go in the book, no release necessary.

er, same applies to the beach mwink.gif
    edited August 6, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    My Street Photography, smile, ginger would I need a release?

6860806-S.jpg

cool scene, though the man is slightly u.e. imo. i like the wide-angle of this though, ginge! somewhere around 40-50mm? cool :)
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2004
    andy wrote:
    they can even go in the book, no release necessary.

er, same applies to the beach mwink.gif

Is that right? TV must be very different. We're careful to not show a recognizable face in anything that's not 'news.'
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited August 7, 2004
    yes.
    wxwax wrote:
    Is that right? TV must be very different. We're careful to not show a recognizable face in anything that's not 'news.'

loads of info on this over on dpreview. search the pro forums, and the open talk forums on street photography and releases.
    edited August 7, 2004
    andy wrote:
    cool scene, though the man is slightly u.e. imo. i like the wide-angle of this though, ginge! somewhere around 40-50mm? cool :)

U. E, keeps his face hidden, doesn't it?

Could I put a picture like that in a gallery? Sell it?

It is difficult to shoot blacks, OK, so they are everywhere, and you can shoot them, too, but it is difficult, different thinking, and when one has everything else to worry about............well, exposure is a problem. In this case, I did not think the face was well served by bringing it out.

Plus, it was darkish, it was difficult to shoot everything. This was not at the beginning, when we got there, it was as it was darker, so these guys were leaving.

This was a bit earlier, as they were putting up their stuff. Just a grab shot for fun, I was out for scenics. However, in an area without lights, would it not look unnatural to light someone up like it was daylight. This was past the point where I could read lips, it was that kind of darkish.

6870292-M.jpg

See he is also in that picture, here. Right as we got there. His face would still be difficult to see compared to the white guys, IMO.

But, aside, from all that.

Could I sell that? As a photo in a gallery? Legal? I read a book last night where the guy walks all over and gets a release from his mother, I guess, certainly a spouse, in case of divorce. I can't do that, just can't. This was just a grab shot, I especially like the other one, but don't know if I can use it.
    At the time, I was not thinking of it as anything than a fun thing for me to do.
    But I never would have thought I was going to make something of it, etc.

ginger
    edited August 7, 2004
    What about something like this? Really getting dark, really grainy, I just like it.
    Here I would be pretty sure that the girls would be recognizable, just because they are......... It is dark, but the way I worked it up, and the way my camera took it, I think they would be recognized. Where could I show it, IMO?

ginger

6871494-M.jpg

I put my kit lens on last night, going to keep it on for the next two weeks. But I think I shoot a lot of stuff wide. I put the kit lens on, go to wide, then pull it back in until the scene looks right.

For this next challenge, would you advise that I not pull it back at all?

I was experimenting at 4 AM, just woke up and went to my camera, read the manual re some stuff, had the kit lens on, realized how I pull back a bit.

ginger
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2004
    andy wrote:
    loads of info on this over on dpreview. search the pro forums, and the open talk forums on street photography and releases.

I dunno Andy, this post falls in line with my understanding of how it works. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • happysnapperhappysnapper Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    andy wrote:
    7002952-L.jpg

she's now in my "new york at asa 1600" gallery, located here

enjoy (street) photography,

Love this shot Andy... either you were in the right place at the right time, or you are very clever... either way I had a good chuckle. I like the soft B&W too.
    Yvette
    :roflhappily snapping
    edited October 24, 2004
    Love this shot Andy... either you were in the right place at the right time, or you are very clever... either way I had a good chuckle. I like the soft B&W too.
    Yvette

thx yvette,

i stood there, in the street, and waited for a g.b. to come by, as i had noticed the store window sign (great buttons with the "ons" cut off from where i was standing).

thansk!
  • happysnapperhappysnapper Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    andy wrote:
    thx yvette,

i stood there, in the street, and waited for a g.b. to come by, as i had noticed the store window sign (great buttons with the "ons" cut off from where i was standing).

thansk!
    Yep, just as I suspected.... in the right place at the right time.... and clever!!!

Yvettethumb.gif
    :roflhappily snapping
    edited October 29, 2004
    Yep, just as I suspected.... in the right place at the right time.... and clever!!!

Yvettethumb.gif

thanks again, for taking the time to comment, yvette :D i appreciate it very much.