Options

Flash Recommendations for a 20D

JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
edited March 1, 2006 in Accessories
I know I asked this before, but the forum appears to have fallen off.

I am trying to put together my x-mas list, and I need a flash. I recall there were two Canon flashes that people recommended and one non Canon (maybe a Sun or Sigma?). Can someone please help jog my memory? I remember the Canon 5xx one was in the $500+range, so unfortunately Santa will not be that kind to me, although I am sure I prefer that.

Thanks,
Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2005
    Canon 430 EX $260 at B&H.
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2005
    Andy, you are quick on the draw. Do you recall what the other non-Canon flash some folks recommened was?
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2005
    No experience with them, but some folks here use the Sigmas
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Canon 430 EX $260 at B&H.
    Has anyone had any experiance with the new 430EX. I have not seen a personal review here or in DP review of any individual user.

Andy?
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2005
    It looks like only the Canon offers Rear-Curtain sync (which is a feature I really like)... I am going to push Santa (or in this case, my wife) for the Canon.

• Options
    marsmarkmarsmark Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2005
    JimM wrote:
    It looks like only the Canon offers Rear-Curtain sync (which is a feature I really like)... I am going to push Santa (or in this case, my wife) for the Canon.

The Sigma (EF-500 DG Super) has it, too. Although I must admit I haven't tried it, yet. I'm pretty happy with the flash otherwise - it has most of the features of the 580EX, but was only $220... The interface has a few quirks to it, but I've been able to live with it since I shoot mostly outdoors and only need flash occasionally.

-Mark
  • Options
    Red BaronRed Baron Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2005
    I have the 580EX and 420EX and both work just fine with the 20D, although, the 580EX is far superior. I really like the quick control type dial on the back - makes FEC and other changes quick and easy. I also find the LCD panel indispensible - something the 420EX lacks. I thought the 580EX was expensive when I first bought but this feeling quickly disappeared when I saw the results. Now I think buying the 580EX was money very well spent. Andy's 430EX recommendation is where I'd start in a new search for a flash.
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    Hmm...

What is the HUGE difference between the EF-500 DG Super and the canon 580EX? Speak baby language. I dont know nothin' about flashes. :(
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    Very briefly
    Viking wrote:
    Hmm...
    What is the HUGE difference between the EF-500 DG Super and the canon 580EX? Speak baby language. I dont know a shit about flashes. :(
    • Feature | Canon 580EX | Sigma EF-500 DG Super
    • Guide number | 190 @ ISO100 (105mm)| 165 @ ISO100 (105mm)
    • Zoom range | 24-105 | 28-105
    • Power source | External, battery pack, 4xAA | 4xAA
    (data from shopping.com)

There are most likely some other differences, but I'm too lazy to parse all the specs...ne_nau.gif
    As they said at Fred Miranda, "with Sigma you'll get 85% of features at 50% of the price". I can only add that the rule 20/80 ("last 20% of the job require 80% of the efforts", etc) works almost everywhere, and in this case, too :-)

In Ultimate Baby Language:
    580EX has more power, it's faster, more versatile and more convenient in usage (the last two are highly subjective).

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2006
    I have since picked up a used 550EX and have been very pleased. Think I saw one at FM for around $200 early today.

• Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    Spring for the 580EX

if you ever plan on having more than just the 1 flash its a must as a master. plus its just an amazing flash, i saw one go used on FM for 350 shipped earlier this week!!!eek7.gif gl though, the 430 is never a bad choice.thumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited January 17, 2006
    Hmm... The 550 and 580 have LCD's. So, dont the Sigma flash have any Settings I can change? I want manual mode.

And WHAT makes the 550 and 580 better then the sigma flash mentiond above? I realy need to get some book about flashes. :cry
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006
    I chose the 550EX because I got a good deal on it. It will act as a master and a slave as well. If you are just starting out the 4xxEX (I can't keep them straight) would be a good flash as well.

I like the idea of the Canon brand going on the Canon flash. You start reading how some flashes are too "hot" or I guess it is they are too high voltage for newer DSLR's and I got concerned. I didn't want to fry my body because of the flash. Now I am sure the Sigmas would be just fine, but since you can get a decent Canon for roughly the same price, I like the idea better.

I know you can shoot manual with the Canon's. I am sure you have to be able to with the Sigma as well.

If you are just moving to an exterior flash, you will be happy with any of the above mentioned. For shooting people, make sure you get a diffuser!

• Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Viking wrote:
    Hmm... The 550 and 580 have LCD's. So, dont the Sigma flash have any Settings I can change? I want manual mode.
    I have the Sigma EF-500 Super. Yes, it has an LCD on it. Yes, it has manual controls so you can play w/ the settings if you like. I've only had it for a few months, but so far I think my Sigma flash is great. I'm glad I cheaped out and went w/ the Sigma..
    Viking wrote:
    And WHAT makes the 550 and 580 better then the sigma flash mentiond above? I realy need to get some book about flashes. :cry
    Damned if I know! mwink.gif
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    I'm using the Sigma 500 DG flash with the 20d. It's EXCELLENT and just as good as the Canon 580 flash and about $180 is what I paid.

I got mine from 47th Stree Photo in New York.

thumb.gif
    kc7dji
  • Options
    JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    I have a 420EX and I'm thinking of getting a second flash, probably a 550 or 580. Anyway, I have an extremely basic question regarding manual control. Is there any difference between dialing in manual control on the flash and dialing in exposure compensation on the body (20D)?
  • Options
    DigitalDevoDigitalDevo Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    I too use the Sigma 500 DG Super. Make sure to get the Super, it has the LCD and has full controls. Works with master and slave units as well. It will also work flash triggered off camera. I use the little stand it came with and use it off camera all the time for better effects.
    "It is the Photographer that makes the equipment, not the equipment that makes the photographer." -JKS
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    And bringing up the rear with the least popular choice, the manual flash Sunpak 555 mwink.gif

It don't do nothin' but flash hehehe
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited February 6, 2006
    And bringing up the rear with the least popular choice, the manual flash Sunpak 555 mwink.gif

It don't do nothin' but flash hehehe

But in your hands, it's a gem. Your ability to light with it is amazing.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2006
    I got myself:

Item Qty Item Description
    STOBC430EX 1 OM-EW OMNI-BOUNCE f/CANON 430EX
    CASC2OC 1 OFF-CAMERA SHOE CORD 2
    CTAANM1H2400 1 AA NiMH (2400mAh) Batteries (4-Pack) wit
    CA430EX 1 SPEEDLITE 430EX

Will have within 10 daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!! I dont like waiting. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    SCS_PhotoSCS_Photo Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    I have the EF-500 DG non-super. No LCD, does TTL and manual high & manual low. The nice thing about using it (nikon version) on the D70 is that the FEC is tied directly to the regular Exposure Compensation controls... very nice when the TTL mode needs a bit more or a bit less juice.
  • Options
    firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    I'm also looking for a Canon flash for my Rebel XT.

What do you guys think. I'm looking for a best buy sorta deal. Nothing super expensive and nothing that beginner...even though I am. :D

Also...I noticed B and H has two flashes in a kit...two speedlites I think. What's the deal with that?

I'd also like to get some insight on why another flash is better than the stock? You conserve battery...it's not direct...you can bounce it? what else?

Thanks for your time

-Kevin
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    Must read for those considering a flash for a Canon body:

EOS Documentation Project

While it does not cover the 430EX, it is rather comprehensive in comparing the 580EX and 500 DG Super. Of course, there is no bottomline recommendation, but the info is supplied such that you can determine what works best for what you want your flash to do.
  • Options
    firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    Must read for those considering a flash for a Canon body:

EOS Documentation Project

While it does not cover the 430EX, it is rather comprehensive in comparing the 580EX and 500 DG Super. Of course, there is no bottomline recommendation, but the info is supplied such that you can determine what works best for what you want your flash to do.

nice. thanks for the link!
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2006
    Also...I noticed B and H has two flashes in a kit...two speedlites I think. What's the deal with that?

Kevin, the deal is the Canon flashes can be wirelessly synced to fire, basically a master (on top of the camera) can wirelessly fire compatible "slaves". So B&H is trying to upsell more flashes here.