Options

Annoyance nitpick with "Make 2nd Copy" function, argh!

Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
edited January 18, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hi Gang. Am I correct that when I click "Make 2nd Copy" on a photo, it duplicates the keywords but not the custom price? Gaa! Shouldn't it drop the keywords, so the same pic doesn't appear TWICE in the keywords, and RETAIN custom pricing?!?

Strikes me as kind of odd... And I'm having to go through all my portfolio galleries now and delete duplicate keywords while at the same time re-entering custom prices. Yeah, I have a lot of duplicate photos. Maybe nobody else uses this feature a lot, but I do and I find this nitpick quite a setback.

Take care,
-Matt-
My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    Hi Gang. Am I correct that when I click "Make 2nd Copy" on a photo, it duplicates the keywords but not the custom price? Gaa! Shouldn't it drop the keywords, so the same pic doesn't appear TWICE in the keywords, and RETAIN custom pricing?!?

Strikes me as kind of odd... And I'm having to go through all my portfolio galleries now and delete duplicate keywords while at the same time re-entering custom prices. Yeah, I have a lot of duplicate photos. Maybe nobody else uses this feature a lot, but I do and I find this nitpick quite a setback.

Take care,
    -Matt-

Hi Matt,

Are you keeping the 2nd copy side by side in the same gallery? If so, I'm curious as to why? If not - then how would you like the feature to behave? Thanks, as always, for your input!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Matt,

Are you keeping the 2nd copy side by side in the same gallery? If so, I'm curious as to why? If not - then how would you like the feature to behave? Thanks, as always, for your input!

No, not side by side. For example I have galleries containing photos from a specific expedition, such as my Rabbit Island trip. I may also want these photos to appear in my main landscape or macro portfolio galleries. So I duplicate the image and then use "Move Photos" to move the duplicated photo to another gallery.

However, after doing this quite a few times between quite a few different galleries, I've found that everything is a mess. My keywords have duplicates, while people can order pictures and gifts in aspect ratios etc. that I never intended to be for sale. (8x10" as opposed to 8x12", for example) Luckily not at smugmug default, since I set an entire portfolio price. But in multiple cases people have ordered a print or something that I didn't intend to be for sale. Thankfully this has only happened with images that actually have resolution enough to forgive any error, but in going back and trying to correct all these errors I've found many instances in which someone could have ordered something that just wouldn't have been up to my standards.

When I make a 2nd copy of an image, the keywords should be dropped from one of the photos. However the custom pro pricing should be retained, of course.

Hope this makes things a bit more clear,
    -Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    No, not side by side. For example I have galleries containing photos from a specific expedition, such as my Rabbit Island trip. I may also want these photos to appear in my main landscape or macro portfolio galleries. So I duplicate the image and then use "Move Photos" to move the duplicated photo to another gallery.

However, after doing this quite a few times between quite a few different galleries, I've found that everything is a mess. My keywords have duplicates, while people can order pictures and gifts in aspect ratios etc. that I never intended to be for sale. (8x10" as opposed to 8x12", for example) Luckily not at smugmug default, since I set an entire portfolio price. But in multiple cases people have ordered a print or something that I didn't intend to be for sale. Thankfully this has only happened with images that actually have resolution enough to forgive any error, but in going back and trying to correct all these errors I've found many instances in which someone could have ordered something that just wouldn't have been up to my standards.

When I make a 2nd copy of an image, the keywords should be dropped from one of the photos. However the custom pro pricing should be retained, of course.

Hope this makes things a bit more clear,
    -Matt-

OK - when you make 2nd copy, you'll need to delete the keywords from that second copy at that time. It's Ajax, so it's easy, quick... unless you hide the keywords display, that's cool, too - just do photo tools, edit keywords and remove.

I can't say that this will be changes, Matt - there are many people who want the keywords retained and yours is the first request of this kind. And, there are other features I'm on about that have a much higher priority... I wish I had a better answer for you.