Options

Went for the D2X

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited January 21, 2006 in Cameras
Hi Y'all,

I got a chance to play around with a D200 on x-mas. I found that I have spoiled by the D2H. The D200 was just a tad small in my hand and it wasn't as well constructed as the D2H. This only left me one option so I ordered a D2X today.
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Tisk Tisk....are you NEVER going to learn. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Congrats on the new camera, Harry. thumb.gif Even...if it's a "darkside" Nikon. You could always get some spray paint and make the lenses white. eek7.gif:D Many happy captures.
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    How wonderful Harry! Big congrats
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    enjoy the new camera harry, the reviews are excellentthumb.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    What would Ethel say?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Congrats, Harry. The D2X sounds like a great camera!
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    Tisk Tisk....are you NEVER going to learn. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Nope, not gonna happen. Now I have to start working on my pleas to Linda for when the successor to the D2H comes out. :D

Congrats on the new camera, Harry. thumb.gif Even...if it's a "darkside" Nikon. You could always get some spray paint and make the lenses white. eek7.gif:D Many happy captures.

Don't need no white paint. I am buying some black paint for the Feb. shoot. I'm going to have to paint some white lenses black so they don't scare the wildlife off. biggrinbounce2.gif
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Congrats on your new purchase. I know that you will put it to good use. :D

Lee
    Harryb wrote:
    Hi Y'all,

I got a chance to play around with a D200 on x-mas. I found that I have spoiled by the D2H. The D200 was just a tad small in my hand and it wasn't as well constructed as the D2H. This only left me one option so I ordered a D2X today.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 14, 2006
    Congrats, Harry!

But with 3x times the file size in just as fast of a gun, did you order another 8 gb of memory to go with it???
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Congrats, Harry!

But with 3x times the file size in just as fast of a gun, did you order another 8 gb of memory to go with it???

nod.gifnod.gif
    Harry
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    What would Ethel say?

something like "I knew it. He's spending Al's money already".
    Harry
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2006
    Hi Y'all,

Well the D2X arrived yesterday. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I got through the roughest part Ok (putting on that damn strap). The body is exactly the same as the D2H so I got used to it with no problems. My initial impressions are very favorable. It responds well and it focuses extremely fast. So far from the few test shots with my 50mm 1.8 I've found the details to be outstanding and the color and contrast to be right on.

I have to be extremely aware of my shooting mechanics as it will show camera shake much more than my D2h. The WB seems to be on the cool side but no major problem.

It looks like it will be a happy match.
    Harry
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited January 19, 2006
    Harry,

This all sounds terrific! Now please post some terrific images from the camera so we can share in your joy as well.

Harry and a D2X (and great glass). I expect greatness from this combination. clap.gif (Here's your chance to make Andy envious!)

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2006
    Don't make me look too bad Harry... Good luck with it and I look foward to seeing yoru photos with it..
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2006
    This is so super can't wait to see some pictures. Loads of fun huh:):
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2006
    Congrats on your new purchase Harry! clap.gif I can't wait to see some results.

I just got a call that my D200 should be here tomorrow so I know how you feel!

Again, congrats...

Lee

Harryb wrote:
    Hi Y'all,

Well the D2X arrived yesterday. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Harry,

This all sounds terrific! Now please post some terrific images from the camera so we can share in your joy as well.

Harry and a D2X (and great glass). I expect greatness from this combination. clap.gif (Here's your chance to make Andy envious!)

ziggy53

Thanks Ziggy. I have Linda's Ok to upgrade my glass collection. In the near future the 17-35 2,8, the 28-70 2.8, the 70-200 2.8 VR, the 85mm 1.4, and the 300mm F4 will be joining my D2X in happy harmony. :):
    Harry
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2006
    Lee Massey wrote:
    Congrats on your new purchase Harry! clap.gif I can't wait to see some results.

I just got a call that my D200 should be here tomorrow so I know how you feel!

Again, congrats...

Lee

Good luck with your 200D Lee.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Good luck with your 200D Lee.

Thanks Harry! It's no D2X, but it is a nice camera. My D70 will make a great backup... :D

Thanks,

Lee
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited January 20, 2006
    Read the reviews on that bad boy...should be fun in the sun!

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Read the reviews on that bad boy...should be fun in the sun!

ian
    Or, coincidentally, in adverse weather as well! ;)

All these D70's "assuming backup duty" these days, when I'm just happy to have mine in good working order! Oh well, if I can treat my FM2 to a MF 24mm and some Velvia I'll be a happy camper...

Take care, (and enjoy, Harry!)
    -Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited January 20, 2006
    Or, coincidentally, in adverse weather as well! ;)

All these D70's "assuming backup duty" these days, when I'm just happy to have mine in good working order! Oh well, if I can treat my FM2 to a MF 24mm and some Velvia I'll be a happy camper...

Take care, (and enjoy, Harry!)
    -Matt-

Just had my FM overhauled last year. Still works well though I have run any
    film through it for a while thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Congrats Harry!clap.gif

I'm debating on getting the D2x or the D200. My wife gave me the go ahead for the D2X but I don't know if the D200 wouldn't be good enough. (portraits and weddings). Granted I really lust after the D2X....headscratch.gif

Show us some photos!
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2006
    JohnR wrote:
    Congrats Harry!clap.gif

I'm debating on getting the D2x or the D200. My wife gave me the go ahead for the D2X but I don't know if the D200 wouldn't be good enough. (portraits and weddings). Granted I really lust after the D2X....headscratch.gif

Show us some photos!

Thats a tough call. The D2X was a no brainer for me because 98% of my shots are at ISOs from 200-500 and I love the high speed crop mode for wildlife shooting.

If I was going to be doing shooting at higher ISOs I would look seriously at the D200 which handles noise better (or so I'm told) at higher ISOs.
    Harry
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    What I need to do is a side by side comparrison....but since the D200 isn't available to me yet I can't.
  • Options
    zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Thanks Ziggy. I have Linda's Ok to upgrade my glass collection. In the near future the 17-35 2,8, the 28-70 2.8, the 70-200 2.8 VR, the 85mm 1.4, and the 300mm F4 will be joining my D2X in happy harmony. :):

OMG.

That's like...THE dream lens collection. Does Linda have a sister? mwink.gif
  • Options
    zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    JohnR wrote:
    What I need to do is a side by side comparrison....but since the D200 isn't available to me yet I can't.

You might be better off buying a D200 plus really good glass, if you don't have that yet. If you're doing portrait work, Bjorn's review of the D200 said that the D200's skin tones are second to none.
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2006
    zigzag wrote:
    OMG.

That's like...THE dream lens collection. Does Linda have a sister? mwink.gif

Nope, and I'm keeping her. :D
    Harry
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2006
    JohnR wrote:

Here's a pretty good comparison
    http://www.digitaldarrell.com/Review-D2xVsD200.asp

and here's some comparison shots
    http://blog.koss.jp/article_386.html
    Harry