Options

Product Templates (actual sizing to set-up)

CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
edited January 20, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hi everyone. I'm setting up some templates in CS2 for:
Flex Magnets, Mousepads, and Mugs & was looking on the product page for actual sizes to use for setting these up. I'm expecting quite a few orders in the next few weeks from some school sport/portriat and team photography. The mugs stated sizes claim they are accurate... has anyone ordered these and has your experience found this size to be true. (would like to get it right on the first order :)
The mouse pad & flex magnet ask simply state they need 'at least' so many pixels.

What I'd really like to know is what's the best pixel count to use for each product. Should I allow trim space (to avoid important stuff from getting cropped) and if so how much? And should these be set-up full bleed? How much?

Also: For the mugs I'd like to put the photo on one side and their names or school name on the other side. Will the white space print okay (come out white) or should I fill empty space with color?

Are these products all dye-sublimation &/or heat transfer? Or something else?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice (exspecially hands on experience advice)! :thumb
Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!

Comments

• Options
    edited January 15, 2006
    Sorry for all the typos... better get myself some sleep - my mind and fingers are NOT working together at all anymore rolleyes1.gif back in a few hours.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    Cindy, I'm sorry I never saw this somehow. Let me dig..
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2006
    Cindy wrote:
    Hi everyone. I'm setting up some templates in CS2 for:
    Flex Magnets, Mousepads, and Mugs & was looking on the product page for actual sizes to use for setting these up. I'm expecting quite a few orders in the next few weeks from some school sport/portriat and team photography. The mugs stated sizes claim they are accurate... has anyone ordered these and has your experience found this size to be true. (would like to get it right on the first order :)
    The mouse pad & flex magnet ask simply state they need 'at least' so many pixels.

What I'd really like to know is what's the best pixel count to use for each product. Should I allow trim space (to avoid important stuff from getting cropped) and if so how much? And should these be set-up full bleed? How much?

Also: For the mugs I'd like to put the photo on one side and their names or school name on the other side. Will the white space print okay (come out white) or should I fill empty space with color?

Are these products all dye-sublimation &/or heat transfer? Or something else?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice (exspecially hands on experience advice)! thumb.gif

Cindy - all we can give you is the minimums at which these products will print well. Of course, more pixels are better. All of that (minimum pixel count) info is on the catalog page, and the sub-pages for each product:

http://www.smugmug.com/prints/catalog2.mg

Shirts and mugs are printed dyesub and then transferred.

Here's an example of a mug-shot:

47737973-L.jpg

when you add this to the cart you choose "no crop"

The white comes out white - in fact - I'm drinking from this mug right now, it's lovely!

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Cindy - all we can give you is the minimums at which these products will print well. Of course, more pixels are better. All of that (minimum pixel count) info is on the catalog page, and the sub-pages for each product:

http://www.smugmug.com/prints/catalog2.mg

Shirts and mugs are printed dyesub and then transferred.

Here's an example of a mug-shot:

47737973-L.jpg

when you add this to the cart you choose "no crop"

The white comes out white - in fact - I'm drinking from this mug right now, it's lovely!

Hope this helps!

No problem about not seeing untill earlier - I'm amazed with how you keep up with all the posts :)

Good to hear that white comes out white and that it's dyesub transfers (used to do some myself & I love em mwink.gif )

Your example looks great and is exactly what I was looking to do (photo w/text). If you can at least get me the actual printable size(s) - then I could just size them at 300 ppi for now.
    Is your example above for the 11 or 15 oz mug? Can you check the measurement on the digital file or rough measurment on the mug (is it 3" x 8" ect)?

Maybe someone at smugmug could measure as close as possible the overall printable area on these (provided they have some of each) and send me their best guess. Then I'll leave enough bleed/trim area untill I get some made & can better guess. I'm guessing the mousepads stated size is much more accurate then the suggested pixel dimension since they don't appear to match at all (pixel diminsion seems taller than size) but if you have one I'd sure appriciate you measuring the thing to double check.

Thanks so much Andy!
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2006
    Cindy wrote:
    No problem about not seeing untill earlier - I'm amazed with how you keep up with all the posts :)

Good to hear that white comes out white and that it's dyesub transfers (used to do some myself & I love em mwink.gif )

Your example looks great and is exactly what I was looking to do (photo w/text). If you can at least get me the actual printable size(s) - then I could just size them at 300 ppi for now.
    Is your example above for the 11 or 15 oz mug? Can you check the measurement on the digital file or rough measurment on the mug (is it 3" x 8" ect)?

Maybe someone at smugmug could measure as close as possible the overall printable area on these (provided they have some of each) and send me their best guess. Then I'll leave enough bleed/trim area untill I get some made & can better guess. I'm guessing the mousepads stated size is much more accurate then the suggested pixel dimension since they don't appear to match at all (pixel diminsion seems taller than size) but if you have one I'd sure appriciate you measuring the thing to double check.

Thanks so much Andy!

Cindy, I need to check with EZP on these questions. The pixel count of my mugshots is 1275x450.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2006
    Gift Item Print Dimensions
    Cindy, does this help?
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Cindy, does this help?

Sure does Andy - thanks so much clap.gif
    If I remember correctly these mouse pad image diminsions are different than thaose listed on our catalog page.

So you must have the 11 oz mug since your pixel diminsions match it and the minamum requirement. So minamum really does look good?

Okay - I'm off to work on some basic sample layouts. Will let ya know how these turn out! HAve a Great day!
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2006
    Cindy wrote:
    Sure does Andy - thanks so much clap.gif
    If I remember correctly these mouse pad image diminsions are different than thaose listed on our catalog page.

So you must have the 11 oz mug since your pixel diminsions match it and the minamum requirement. So minamum really does look good?

Okay - I'm off to work on some basic sample layouts. Will let ya know how these turn out! HAve a Great day!

The mugs look great - yes - but remember, these are mins! More is better for sure. The mousepads say 1100x650 on our site you're right. Go with that, becuase the order won't go thru at 1100x640 thumb.gif

EDIT: Fixed the attachment -- correct now.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    The mugs look great - yes - but remember, these are mins! More is better for sure. The mousepads say 1100x650 on our site you're right. Go with that, becuase the order won't go thru at 1100x640 thumb.gif

EDIT: Fixed the attachment -- correct now.

The 1100 x 650 is allmost twice as tall as it is wide... what's up ne_nau.gif
    When I create a new doc at:
    7.75" x 9.25" and 150 dpi the pixel diminsion = 1163 x 1388
    If I create a new doc at:
    1100 x 650 and 150 dpi the measurement = 4.333" x 7.333"

Something is clearly wrong here or I'm missing something. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2006
    Mousepad ? bump and a PS
    Mousepads:

PS: I noticed you've added the 'Gift Item Print Diminsions' to the 'All Print Product Threads' Sticky. Note on the chart that several of the min resolutions do not match those recommended by smugmug (note mugs) and if I'm correct on the mousepads they aren't even accurate... might want to update that to avoid more confusion :):
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2006
    Cindy wrote:
    Mousepads:

PS: I noticed you've added the 'Gift Item Print Diminsions' to the 'All Print Product Threads' Sticky. Note on the chart that several of the min resolutions do not match those recommended by smugmug (note mugs) and if I'm correct on the mousepads they aren't even accurate... might want to update that to avoid more confusion :):

Cindy, I removed the chart - it needs to be updated.

from the help page http://www.smugmug.com/prints/photo-mousepads:

Photo Mouse Pad

Large — 9 inches high by 7 3/4 inches wide — so your mouse has room to move. 3/8 inches thick. It's made of non-slip neoprene with a fabric cover that won't let the mouse skip.

Color reproduction is not as accurate as with harder gifts like buttons, or photographic prints.

Your photo must have at least 1100x650 pixels.

Make sure your photos are at the minimum resolution - when you add the item to the cart, the crop lines will show you how the image will print. You can use the "adjust button" to move the crop lines on image 1, 2, 3 here. Image 4 will be fine as is.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2006
    Okay I've Got that - but I think on we're on seperate pages here. I don't want to have to guess at what size to pre-crop to before uploading and adding to the cart. I want to custom design some images with text to the correct size and resolution before uploading. If I add text to just any image it very well may get cut or cropped off. I need the correct diminsions (product measurement) AND the minamum resolution in order to create some custom items for printing.

Here's a test I did for the mousepads.

52694386-O.jpg

- The first image in the cart was cropped to 9.25" x 7.75 inches before uploading. (These dimensions were listed on the chart you posted earlier in which the diminsions look right but they do not match any of the stated min resolutions). The entire image fits with or without no-crop applied. I could have added any text etc that I wanted and 'IF' these diminsions are correct according to the shopping carts crop area shown than everything will get printed - yeah).
    - The 2nd image was cropped to smugmugs minamum resolution of 1100 x 650 before uploading (allmost twice as tall as it is wide which would be a very un-usual mousepad shape). If I had set up a template according to the recommended min resolution I'd have ended up loosing part of the image &/or text if I had included it... or I would have had white space by selecting no-crop and the mousepad would look very un-professional.

What I'm suggesting/asking for is:
    Would it be possible for smugmug to re-do their chart simalar to the one you posted earlier which includes listing all the info needed so that if we are custom designing a product image we can set up a template and get it right the first time without searching for the info for days &/or testing sizes until we find one that fits correctly.

Sorry to be a pain posting on this so much - I just wanted the correct print sizes & if possible the recommended resolutions (both minamum and those the printer recommends for best quality).

I think I've got em figured out now. Hope so anyway.
  • Options
    bfishkindbfishkind Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2006
    Cindy wrote:
    I want to custom design some images with text to the correct size and resolution before uploading. If I add text to just any image it very well may get cut or cropped off. I need the correct diminsions (product measurement) AND the minamum resolution in order to create some custom items for printing.
    I also want to add my signature/copyright notice to the face of the image, but I'm concerned about it getting completely cropped out -- or perhaps partially cropped, marring an otherwise nice photo.

I've searched DGRIN on this topic, but haven't found anything. If there's another thread covering this issue, my apologies, and please point me to it.

Thanks!

Beth
    http://bethfishkind.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2006
    bfishkind wrote:
    I also want to add my signature/copyright notice to the face of the image, but I'm concerned about it getting completely cropped out -- or perhaps partially cropped, marring an otherwise nice photo.

I've searched DGRIN on this topic, but haven't found anything. If there's another thread covering this issue, my apologies, and please point me to it.

Thanks!

Beth

Hi Beth,

For what images / products are you wanting to do this? Remember, your customers have their own knife....
  • Options
    bfishkindbfishkind Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Beth,

For what images / products are you wanting to do this? Remember, your customers have their own knife....
    Yes, it's that "knife" that vexes me. :):

Based on your answer here and other reading on Digital Grin, there's no one-size-fits-all solution. To keep the image the way I want it, I have to size each image appropriately to the specifications of the print size or product. I can do this either in Photoshop before uploading, or use the crop tool Smugmug offers and size the image to a particular ratio and list for sale the prints and merchandise that it works with.

Another approach is to size a select number of prints for a "Purchase Prints" sort of gallery, as you've done, Andy. I did notice that you don't add text to the prints you have for sale; but others have a nice web display treatment that includes text.

In sum, I think I've got this figured out. Please let me know if I'm on the right track.

Thanks!

Beth
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2006
    bfishkind wrote:
    Yes, it's that "knife" that vexes me. :):

Based on your answer here and other reading on Digital Grin, there's no one-size-fits-all solution. To keep the image the way I want it, I have to size each image appropriately to the specifications of the print size or product. I can do this either in Photoshop before uploading, or use the crop tool Smugmug offers and size the image to a particular ratio and list for sale the prints and merchandise that it works with.

Another approach is to size a select number of prints for a "Purchase Prints" sort of gallery, as you've done, Andy. I did notice that you don't add text to the prints you have for sale; but others have a nice web display treatment that includes text.

In sum, I think I've got this figured out. Please let me know if I'm on the right track.

Thanks!

Beth

15524779-Ti.gif