I hope Baldy doesn't get mad...

2»

Comments

• patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I think I must ride the Continental Divide route soon. I bought the maps from Adventure Bicycling when they came out, and I read Clement Salvadori's article and caught the bug. I think I would prefer a Dual-Sport to a bicycle these days. 20 years ago I probably would have wanted to bicycle it, but now I prefer some comfort along the way. On a bicycle it would take several weeks I think maybe 3-8 weeks. With a twist grip, 2-3 weeks will be enough. I wonder if you start in the spring and ride north as the weather warms if that is better than riding the southerly direction. Any thoughts about this?

As the years roll by, I look at what I want to do and what I have time to do. The DRZ would be ready to go on the CD, all I need is the time, money and someone to go with. In the last two years I have definitely started working less and playing more. I hope to continue more of the same, unfortunately my current schedule is very scattered making planning long trips very difficult. I am trying to work that out too. The first steps are financial security (at least some stability) so I can take the time off. I have cut my expenses as far as I can, now if I can just stop from buying new toys, video camera, new touring bicycle, camera lenses, CF cards, computers..... it is a nearly endless list. I guess I need to cut myself off completely, sell my home and live out of my car. rolleyes1.gif That way whatever does not fit in it (cameras, laptop), on it (bicycles, kayak) or behind it (DRZ) cannot come and can be sold off. headscratch.gif I am not sure if I can give up my comforts of home at this point. I guess I just need to get a renter/roommate to pay the bills so I can go and play. clap.gif I am trying to put together a trip at the moment to New England and hopefully up to Labrador and Newfoundland. I am going to put some saddle time in on the DRZ to see how far I can ride in a day to see if I can actually take it on long trips, be it the Labrador Highway or the Great Divide Trail. The problem is they are, for the most part, one way routes and that would be a long way back, need to work out the logistics.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited August 7, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    As the years roll by, I look at what I want to do and what I have time to do. The DRZ would be ready to go on the CD, all I need is the time, money and someone to go with. In the last two years I have definitely started working less and playing more. I hope to continue more of the same, unfortunately my current schedule is very scattered making planning long trips very difficult. I am trying to work that out too. The first steps are financial security (at least some stability) so I can take the time off. I have cut my expenses as far as I can, now if I can just stop from buying new toys, video camera, new touring bicycle, camera lenses, CF cards, computers..... it is a nearly endless list. I guess I need to cut myself off completely, sell my home and live out of my car. rolleyes1.gif That way whatever does not fit in it (cameras, laptop), on it (bicycles, kayak) or behind it (DRZ) cannot come and can be sold off. headscratch.gif I am not sure if I can give up my comforts of home at this point. I guess I just need to get a renter/roommate to pay the bills so I can go and play. clap.gif I am trying to put together a trip at the moment to New England and hopefully up to Labrador and Newfoundland. I am going to put some saddle time in on the DRZ to see how far I can ride in a day to see if I can actually take it on long trips, be it the Labrador Highway or the Great Divide Trail. The problem is they are, for the most part, one way routes and that would be a long way back, need to work out the logistics.
    Working less and playing more - I hear ya. We're all going to be dead a long time, better enjoy it while we're here.rolleyes1.gif The seat on the DR650 would limit me to 200 or 300 miles a day at most - I think it is not a long distance touring bike for my bottom. It feels like a 2x4. But great fun on double track. The 1150GS IS good for 500-700 if I push it but not the ideal bike for the CD either. I usually try to get from Indiana's western border to mid Kansas on the first day as I go west if possible on the GS. Some of my fellow riders complain a bit sometimes about that.:D

I think you would have to tow out to Montana or New Mexico and then ride the CD from there. It is a LONG way from the east to the Rockies by small motorcycle. Might have to ride down the CD a ways and then back to get back to the tow vehicle. I haven't figured that out yet either. Next spring late might be a good time from the southern end. Keep in touch - Love to hear of your trips or plans. I hope to quit full time employment in the next year or two if the economy does not implode.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited August 7, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Working less and playing more - I hear ya. We're all going to be dead a long time, better enjoy it while we're here.rolleyes1.gif The seat on the DR650 would limit me to 200 or 300 miles a day at most - I think it is not a long distance touring bike for my bottom. It feels like a 2x4. But great fun on double track. The 1150GS IS good for 500-700 if I push it but not the ideal bike for the CD either. I usually try to get from Indiana's western border to mid Kansas on the first day as I go west if possible on the GS. Some of my fellow riders complain a bit sometimes about that.:D

I think you would have to tow out to Montana or New Mexico and then ride the CD from there. It is a LONG way from the east to the Rockies by small motorcycle. Might have to ride down the CD a ways and then back to get back to the tow vehicle. I haven't figured that out yet either. Next spring late might be a good time from the southern end. Keep in touch - Love to hear of your trips or plans. I hope to quit full time employment in the next year or two if the economy does not implode.

I won't be able to quit working anytime soon, but hopefully I can keep it limited.

I would definitely trailer it out there. That is part of the problem, how to get back to the trailer? I have thought about just hitting sections that look good. Stop and ride, then move on, not quite the same, but it would be flexible and give you time to recharge at night, plus you would not need to haul as much gear. I have also thought about a similar plan with my mountain bike. That would be a little cheaper too, just make some good loops. So many options, so little time.

I agree about having a limited amount of time here, why work it all away? Who has ever been on their deathbed wishing they had worked more?
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 9, 2004
    this has turned into a good hijack! :D

Hey patch - you mentioned New England... I'm sure you must have several offers, but if you ever need a place to crash in Western MA, and need a riding buddy for a day or two, gimme a call!

And I want to know how your test of the "long" DRZ day goes, I am VERY interested in those bikes. Still mad I passed on one a few years ago, but maybe if I got it then, I wouldn't have my GS adv now...
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited August 9, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    this has turned into a good hijack! :D

It sure has. clap.gifrolleyes1.gifumph.gif
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Hey patch - you mentioned New England... I'm sure you must have several offers, but if you ever need a place to crash in Western MA, and need a riding buddy for a day or two, gimme a call!

And I want to know how your test of the "long" DRZ day goes, I am VERY interested in those bikes. Still mad I passed on one a few years ago, but maybe if I got it then, I wouldn't have my GS adv now...

I will let you know. I would like to head back and ride some of the dirt roads outside Dalton and Hinsdale. I went there to a friends farm as a kid and had a lot of fun. I would like to revisit the area.

I put the stock Trailwings back on it last night, so I have a longer distance tire. I am waiting to see my work schedule today for the week. If nothing comes up I am going to head towards the Blue Ridge Parkway. The goad is to run the whole road twice (one way N/S) all the way to Front Royal. The whole trip will be about 1500 miles. I figure I should be able to do 500 to 750 per day. I will know after about the second hour. rolleyes1.gif Hopefully I can handle it, otherwise I will be on a much shorter trip and go play in the NC mountains. The bike handles a lot better on the street with the TW vs the 606's. A littler easier to raise the front with these tires on the street. I did a couple mini-wheelies, I know the wheel came off the ground, just not very far.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 9, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    It sure has. clap.gifrolleyes1.gifumph.gif

I will let you know. I would like to head back and ride some of the dirt roads outside Dalton and Hinsdale. I went there to a friends farm as a kid and had a lot of fun. I would like to revisit the area.
    FYI, thats my backyard.

oh, and i'm sure you can take nice photos there too...
    (token photography speak so we don't get booted to the other forum)
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]