Options

Canon tripod mounting thread

Yorkie DadYorkie Dad Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited February 9, 2006 in Cameras
I want to 'change' my Canon tripod mounting threads from the original 1/4-20" thread to 3/8-20" thread. I called Canon and talked to parts dept. They had no idea what I was talking about - and said that they would only sell me original part (1/4-20").
The tripod mount has 2 (very small) Phillips screws that hold it on camera. It appears that this could be removed and replaced with the desired thread, if you knew a Canon camera that originally came with 3/8-20" then Canon would sell the thread component to you.
It would seem (to me) that there must be an adapter plate (1/4-20" male and 3/8-20" female thread) that would also accomplish this change - but, I have searched and not been able to locate anything specific to cameras.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Art
www.artguertin-photography.com

"There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care who gets the credit."
- Philip Hyde (1922-2006)

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited January 20, 2006
    Purchase an Arca-Swiss camera plate from ReallyRightStuff.com and their corresponding Arca-Swiss clamp for your tripod head, which does fit a 3/8" thread and you will be much happier never threading a camera body to a tripod again.

Better yet, purchase an L-bracket from RRS and their BH-55 ballhead, and you will be even happier. Trust me here - Ask Ian or Andy or any others here if they still screw their camera's on a tripod. That is so 1980's:):

Go to reallyrightstuff.com and read their sheets about camera plates and their uses. They make using a tripod fun again.thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    I just looked at the bottom of my Canon, and while I see those screws, they don't appear to be related to the tripod mount threads. They appear to be holding something down in the interior of the camera, as they don't even look like they can be used to take any external part or component off of the camera.

At least to me, anyway.
  • Options
    Yorkie DadYorkie Dad Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Thanks
    Ok. Thanks for the responses I will check out the information on the mentioned site.
    Art:):
    www.artguertin-photography.com

"There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care who gets the credit."
    - Philip Hyde (1922-2006)
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited January 21, 2006
    Yorkie Dad wrote:
    I want to 'change' my Canon tripod mounting threads from the original 1/4-20" thread to 3/8-20" thread. I called Canon and talked to parts dept. They had no idea what I was talking about - and said that they would only sell me original part (1/4-20").
    The tripod mount has 2 (very small) Phillips screws that hold it on camera. It appears that this could be removed and replaced with the desired thread, if you knew a Canon camera that originally came with 3/8-20" then Canon would sell the thread component to you.
    It would seem (to me) that there must be an adapter plate (1/4-20" male and 3/8-20" female thread) that would also accomplish this change - but, I have searched and not been able to locate anything specific to cameras.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Art

Before you get all crazy, look for the adapter. I think it's less than $5 and
    screws right into the 1/4-20 hole.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    graeme_7799graeme_7799 Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    whats the point in a diff thread? i'v enever used a different one... and i've been a photo for 15 years.. explanation on this weird thread?
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    BTW RRS is currently out of stock of 20D L brackets. That site just made holes in my pockets.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2006
    whats the point in a diff thread? i'v enever used a different one... and i've been a photo for 15 years.. explanation on this weird thread?

There are two different thread sizes for tripod points. 1/4-20 and 3/8-20.
    Most cameras have the 1/4-20 size. One of my lens uses a 3/8-20.
    Not really sure why this is.
  • Options
    MarshallMarshall Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 9, 2006
    There is a reason why . . . most common tripods are made in Japan, these have the 1/4
    ian408 wrote:
    There are two different thread sizes for tripod points. 1/4-20 and 3/8-20.
    Most cameras have the 1/4-20 size. One of my lens uses a 3/8-20.
    Not really sure why this is.

There is a reason why. Most of the consumer (read less expensive) tripods are made in Japan or China. These use the 1/4 inch thread, which fits nicely into the bottom of 35mm and digital cameras.

However; the more expensive Professional tripods (Bogen, etc.) are used for heavier cameras, 600mm lenses, 4X5 view cameras, etc. So these have the 3/8" heavy-duty male threaded screws. I have a nice tripod and purchased a Bogen pistol grip ball-action top for it. Obviously it did not fit, so I had to drill through the 1/4 inch screw and replace it permanently with a 3/8 inch bolt that goes through the top of the tripod. It works, but I really need a more heavy-duty tripod. Only draw-back is the weight.

Marshall
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    BTW RRS is currently out of stock of 20D L brackets. That site just made holes in my pockets.
    Wait 'til their catalogue shows up in your mail. :bluduh
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    nrChrisnrChris Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    Its actually 3/8"-16, which is the "European standard". As the other posters mentioned--it is worth switching to an A/S style quick release plate and clamp setup. Once you have the clamps and plates on everything you will find yourself actually using your support devices more often. (At least I found myself more apt to throw something onto the tripod / monopod / superclamp when it takes just a second.)
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2006
    nrChris wrote:
    Its actually 3/8"-16, which is the "European standard". As the other posters mentioned--it is worth switching to an A/S style quick release plate and clamp setup. Once you have the clamps and plates on everything you will find yourself actually using your support devices more often. (At least I found myself more apt to throw something onto the tripod / monopod / superclamp when it takes just a second.)

And there are a whole slew of different mounting plates too :D

I really do like the Arca-Swiss standard though. I bought one of the L plates
    for my camera and have been very happy. And you're right, switches is well
    worth it.

Ian