Movie: Winged Migration

patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
edited August 10, 2004 in The Big Picture
I rented Winged Migration last weekend and it is a very captivating movie. It follows that migration paths of many birds around the world. The really captivating part is how they filmed it. They were able to get extremely close to the birds in flight. They used an array of method to capture the images, from powered gliders to shooting off of boats. I really enjoyed watching this movie. The DVD also has an extensive extra feature detailing the work that went into shooting the production. If you are looking for some entertainment and enjoy watching birds with incredible scenery this movie is your ticket.

Winged Migration website

They have a trailer on the website, but it is very low quality and does not do the movie justice.

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited August 10, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    I rented Winged Migration last weekend and it is a very captivating movie. It follows that migration paths of many birds around the world. The really captivating part is how they filmed it. They were able to get extremely close to the birds in flight. They used an array of method to capture the images, from powered gliders to shooting off of boats. I really enjoyed watching this movie. The DVD also has an extensive extra feature detailing the work that went into shooting the production. If you are looking for some entertainment and enjoy watching birds with incredible scenery this movie is your ticket.

Winged Migration website

They have a trailer on the website, but it is very low quality and does not do the movie justice.
    I agree, Patch, this movie is absolutely stunning in its subject and the photographic capturing of it. I envy the fellows who made this movie - It deserves much better air time than it seems to have received. It would be thrilling to have helped create something this beautiful. I am not a Birder, but birds certainly can be captivating if approached with an open and inquisitive mind. Spend some sunrise time at a nature or bird sanctuary and just watch Nature wake up in the early morning sun.1drink.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I agree, Patch, this movie is absolutely stunning in its subject and the photographic capturing of it. I envy the fellows who made this movie - It deserves much better air time than it seems to have received. It would be thrilling to have helped create something this beautiful. I am not a Birder, but birds certainly can be captivating if approached with an open and inquisitive mind. Spend some sunrise time at a nature or bird sanctuary and just watch Nature wake up in the early morning sun.1drink.gif

They put in an amazing amount of work. Two months of shooting (not even the planning) to get one minute of final footage. I would love to think someday I could create a documentary similar to this or something similar to a Warren Miller or Bruce Brown film, but I don't think I have the time or finances. I recorded a show on the travel channel the other night. It was a group of guys who built a very large raft to go down the Yukon River. It looks like they shot it on Mini-DV cameras (not even expensive ones) and sold it. I am going to try and research it and see how large their production was. Why could we not create one with some ADVriders? Some of those trips are very spectacular. Time to get working, if only I knew someone in the TV industry like a producer or something that could show me the light. naughty.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2004
    umph.gif

Usually a pitch is sold, not a finished show. Not sure how compelling a hour of beer bellies on bikes would be! Now, if we had someone traveling with, and taping, Striking Viking, that would be a different story, in particular because of the drama about his health.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    umph.gif

Usually a pitch is sold, not a finished show. Not sure how compelling a hour of beer bellies on bikes would be! Now, if we had someone traveling with, and taping, Striking Viking, that would be a different story, in particular because of the drama about his health.

Sign me up boss. I am ready to travel. I was thinking more of following the Weber's or the PCQ crew or the Great Divide Ride. One of those two long trips would easily be long enough to get a 30 or 60 minute show.

BTW I learned about Winged Migration from watching the trailers on the Spellboud DVD. I can't get that dinging out of my head, ding, ding, ding.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    Sign me up boss.

Uuhh, you have to make the pitch! naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited August 10, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    Sign me up boss. I am ready to travel. I was thinking more of following the Weber's or the PCQ crew or the Great Divide Ride. One of those two long trips would easily be long enough to get a 30 or 60 minute show.

BTW I learned about Winged Migration from watching the trailers on the Spellboud DVD. I can't get that dinging out of my head, ding, ding, ding.
    You'll have to pitch that to Baldy right? There are a whole lot of amateur/would-be- film maker motorcycle videos on the web - Many of them seem to be Finnish or Swedish or Norwegian or Southern - sorry - not to offend anyone - but I am not always sure which is which:D . Some of them are pretty neat but not ready for prime time. For prime time serious documentary, you will need a production crew for lighting, editing, music background, and signage. Does sound like fun tho - I'll volunteer to do the stills for PR stuff and to sample the brews to check for qualityclap.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin