Options

Whats my problem? (large pic attached)

ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
edited January 30, 2004 in Technique
What is wrong with this still life? Is it the composition, lighting, camera position, backdrop or combination of error? Or is it my prime suspect …me.

All critiques welcome and helpful info appreciated.
Just think, the better I get the less fecal matter I post :D
The picture was originally color.
If the picture is to large please let me know Moderator and I will resize it.
Brownie2.1.jpg

Here is the Shot info

Camera Model Name

Canon PowerShot A80
Shooting Mode
Manual

Photo Effect Mode
Off
Tv( Shutter Speed )
Av( Aperture Value )
Metering Mode
Evaluative
ISO Speed
Lens
7.8 - 23.4mm
Focal Length
7.8mm
Digital Zoom
None
Image Size
2272x1704
Image Quality
Superfine
Flash
Off
White Balance
Auto
AF Mode
Single AF

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2004
    The picture is a tad large. To be able to see it without having to scroll sideways, try using 640 pixels wide or smaller.

But, what was your intent with the picture? What are you trying to show or illustrate with the picture?
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2004
    Well I see some aesthetic qualities in both cameras yet I cannot seem to capture it on film. It might be that I am taking them out of the element that contributes to the look and then by moving them it looses those qualities?
    I might try to combine the subject matter with those other elements that might work.

Or it just might be possible that the creative part of my brain is atrophied due to lack of use.
    Anyhow I resized it, and am starting to rethink it as well, thanks.

Tim
  • Options
    knaryknary Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2004
    The problem is compositional. See attached...

1. There are three main focal elements in the photo(red circles). The number of elements is fine, but they're all of similar scale. None gets enough priority to lead your eye. They battle each other for attention.

2. The relationship of the object(s) to the edges of the image. The tension between the objects and the edges is nearly the same (where the blue marks are) as they are all the same size. Again, this gives none any particular priority.

3. Everything is tight and compressed. There is some relief in the upper right, but not enough. (see #2)

Think about big vs. small, tight vs. wide, sharp vs. blur, etc. It's in these contrasts that you'll often find the magic.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    Well I see some aesthetic qualities in both cameras yet I cannot seem to capture it on film. It might be that I am taking them out of the element that contributes to the look and then by moving them it looses those qualities?
    I might try to combine the subject matter with those other elements that might work.

Or it just might be possible that the creative part of my brain is atrophied due to lack of use.
    Anyhow I resized it, and am starting to rethink it as well, thanks.

Tim
    The camera that is closest to the camera is turned in such a way that the dominant detail is the side of the camera where there is not a lot of detail to see. The reflector is too bright and draws away attention too without really contributing to the image. And part of it is just processing of the image. When I see the picture, it looks like it could be an old time picture, but it is caught in a limbo between old and new. Try making it look old. Here is one interpretation:
    Brownie2.jpg
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2004
    Very interesting feedback. It all makes a lot of sense. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Very interesting feedback. It all makes a lot of sense. thumb.gif
    cept black on black is s!@# to try & read