Options

Lens Recommendations for Nikon D50

ows4428ows4428 Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
edited January 24, 2006 in Cameras
My brother is pretty much set on getting a Nikon D50. This will be his first SLR so he doesn't have any lenses as of yet. He is just going to purchase the body and buy two lenses for it. I only shoot Canon so I don't know what lenses would be best for his interests. He shoots baseball (from the stands), an annual Yosemite trip, and everyday social stuff.

His budget is roughly $1,000 and he can get the D50 body for $532. So, what two lenses do you think would be best for his needs?

I appreciate all the suggestions.

Thanks!

brian

Comments

• Options
    CrispinCrispin Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    Having bought my first SLR (D50) a few months back and not knowing to much (actually, anything) about lenses, I bought the Nikon 70-300 the day after I got the camera. Reason I bought it - it had bigger numbers than the kit 18-55 :D Bigger must be better.

Truth be told, it's a good, maybe ok, lens. I am sure it will not win any compititions but for the mean time, it's fine for me.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=207359&is=GREY&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Or he could buy the Nikon 600mm f4 which is going for around £6500 ($11700). :D My dream lens...:):

Why buy body only if he has no lenses? The kit 18-55 is a decent starting point for someone without oddles of cash.ne_nau.gif
    Cheers,
    Crispin
    http://crispin.smugmug.com
    SQL Mechanic
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    His first DSLR, have him buy the kit lens and then get familiar with the camera. The Nikon kit lens is quite fine.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    The kit lens that comes with the D70 is superior to the D50 kit lens. It is 18-70mm and a great value. I would highly recommend this lens on a D50.
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    The kit lens that comes with the D70 is superior to the D50 kit lens. It is 18-70mm and a great value. I would highly recommend this lens on a D50.

jump for the 18-70thumb.gif its plenty of reach until he figures out how to use it...
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    Hey Brian,

What kind of photography is your brother interested in. Does he need more than the kit lens?
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    The new 18-200 would interest me personally. A truely universal lens. It might be worth a look.. if your willing to wait until it is openly available and you can find some feedback on it.
  • Options
    ows4428ows4428 Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Brian,

What kind of photography is your brother interested in. Does he need more than the kit lens?

Harry,

He shoots baseball and our family's sporting events. Plus he would shoot the occasional social gathering and whatnot.

He would like a short-range lens (kit lens or 50mm f1.8) and a telephoto to get close to the action on the sports stuff.

I just didn't know if the Nikon equivalent to the Canon f1.8 was the same in terms of price and quality.

And I didn't know whether he should go with an indy 70-300mm f4-5.6 or spring for the Nikkor.

Thanks for the help so far, guys.

brian
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    ows4428 wrote:
    Harry,

He shoots baseball and our family's sporting events. Plus he would shoot the occasional social gathering and whatnot.

He would like a short-range lens (kit lens or 50mm f1.8) and a telephoto to get close to the action on the sports stuff.

I just didn't know if the Nikon equivalent to the Canon f1.8 was the same in terms of price and quality.

And I didn't know whether he should go with an indy 70-300mm f4-5.6 or spring for the Nikkor.

Thanks for the help so far, guys.

brian

I agree with 99% of teh comments above. The kit lens is just fine, but if he could score an 18-70 instead of 18-55 with the D50, that'd be a sweet combo.

Thought about the 55-200?
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    55-200 is like the 18-55, a kit lens for the D50. I'd recommend the 18-70 kit lens that comes with the D70 as well. This lens is much higher in quality than your typical 'kit' lens. He can buy one used at around $250, which leaves money for a 70-300 zoom to accomodate his zoom desires.

Edit: note that the Nikon 70-300 comes in two flavors: the "G" version is ~$100 and is of medium quality, while the "ED" version is ~$250 and is of better, but not great quality. You might seriously consider a Sigma zoom as well for that glass, but I have no real info on that lens.

I agree that the 18-200 VR II is a great 'walk around' lens that I've been considering for a travel lens. But at $750+, we've just blown this guy's budget out. The 18-70 is a perfect starter lens that is good enough to take serious photos once you learn.

Brian, you mentioned the 50 f/1.8. This lens is only $100, and is widely considered one of Nikon's best and sharpest lenses. I love mine.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    Someone is selling a "mint" 18-70mm lens on FM for $230. You may want to look into this. I love mine on the D70. It never leaves that body.
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    zigzag wrote:

Edit: note that the Nikon 70-300 comes in two flavors: the "G" version is ~$100 and is of medium quality, while the "ED" version is ~$250 and is of better, but not great quality. You might seriously consider a Sigma zoom as well for that glass, but I have no real info on that lens.

I've seen great sharp shots come from the 70-300 ED quality. (better colour, sharper, and less CA) I pretty much never sell the "G" version of the lens.

True that the 55-200 is more of a "kit" lens, but last time I checked, it wasn't too expensive, and for the price, it's a great lens.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    zigzag wrote:

I have the Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO Zoom Macro Super II, and it is an ok lens. It isn't super fast and it is a little bit soft at both ends, but not terrible for a less than $200 lens. It is neither fast nor razor sharp. I am thinking of selling mine to help fund the purchase of the Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens.

http://mrbook2.smugmug.com
    Nikon D200, usually with 18-200VR or 50mm f/1.8D
    Ubuntu 9.04, Bibblepro, GIMP, Argyllcms
    Blog at http://losthighlights.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    stephcha@nmsu.edustephcha@nmsu.edu Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    i would recommend a D70 kit lens (18-70) depends where you get it at, but b/w 220 (ebay) to 300 (b&h) I would also highly recommend a nikon 50mm 1.8 they are 104.00 at B&h. You can not go wrong with a prime lens like that. SO SO SO SO sharp and so fast. At the start i would stay away from "all in one lenses with high apertures) so slow and not worth it (IMHO)

Is this person coming from a simple Point and SHoot? is that why they have their heart set on a D50? i ask this because of the SD memory slot....... the D70 or D70s is a great camera and not much more and uses the "pro standard" CF cards

steve