Options

Filters for C-8080 & Canon 300D

SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
edited August 11, 2004 in Accessories
Hi all, I've done some searches and haven't come up with as much as I'd hoped. I've lost pretty much all the bookmarks I'd had when I got my first little Oly, so I thought I'd throw this out for y'all. Here's what I need to know:

First, we've got a new Oly C-8080, I'm loving this camera, and it's destined to be our only dive camera, as well as for me to use dryside. We've ordered the housing for it, and I've been told a telephoto lens is good for the U/W shots (where O where is ReeferBen?), but I'd also like to add a couple of basic filters. What I was looking for/at is a UV lens to act mainly as a protecting lens, as well as a circular polarizer. What I can't seem to sort out is whether or not I need the adapter ring (CLA-8, if I recollect) to add these filters and/or the telephoto. Will the telephoto be 'usable' with the U/W housing? (I'm thinking that we can only change out the lenses topside, so might be better off just using the camera as-is.)

The same holds true for our Canon 300D - I'd like to add a protective lens (the UV), and a polarizer. Would I use a proper polarizing lens as would be used with a 35mm? Or does this camera need the typical digi-type polarizer, that being the circular? Will it also need an adapter ring?

I've found this site, The Filter Connection which promises a HUMAN BEING would answer the phone when I call. Anyone familiar with this outfit? Any other suggestions? Any suggestions in general? Is there something I need to or should know when making these purchases? I MUST get this done quickly, as we leave on the 23rd.
Youth and Enthusiasm
Are No Match For
Age and Treachery

Comments

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    Seamaiden wrote:
    Hi all, I've done some searches and haven't come up with as much as I'd hoped. I've lost pretty much all the bookmarks I'd had when I got my first little Oly, so I thought I'd throw this out for y'all. Here's what I need to know:

First, we've got a new Oly C-8080, I'm loving this camera, and it's destined to be our only dive camera, as well as for me to use dryside. We've ordered the housing for it, and I've been told a telephoto lens is good for the U/W shots (where O where is ReeferBen?), but I'd also like to add a couple of basic filters. What I was looking for/at is a UV lens to act mainly as a protecting lens, as well as a circular polarizer. What I can't seem to sort out is whether or not I need the adapter ring (CLA-8, if I recollect) to add these filters and/or the telephoto. Will the telephoto be 'usable' with the U/W housing? (I'm thinking that we can only change out the lenses topside, so might be better off just using the camera as-is.)

The same holds true for our Canon 300D - I'd like to add a protective lens (the UV), and a polarizer. Would I use a proper polarizing lens as would be used with a 35mm? Or does this camera need the typical digi-type polarizer, that being the circular? Will it also need an adapter ring?

I've found this site, The Filter Connection which promises a HUMAN BEING would answer the phone when I call. Anyone familiar with this outfit? Any other suggestions? Any suggestions in general? Is there something I need to or should know when making these purchases? I MUST get this done quickly, as we leave on the 23rd.
    Seamaiden

You only need the CLA 8 on the 8080 if you are going to use the add on lenses. I've got a std 58mm UV filter on mine for protection which screws directly onto the to the lens.
    Not sure about the telephoto and the underwater housing, but would be interested to know when you find out

Thanks

Gubbs
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    Looks like you can use the wide angle with the housing have look here, I have spoken to these people before about a housing for a casio and they were pretty helpful... If you want I'll give them a call for advice
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    Seamaiden wrote:

1. 300D (drebel) does not need an adapter.
    2. if you want AF and metering to work properly use only circular polarisers on EOS digital AND film cameras.
    3.IMHO, you potentially increase flare with a "protective" lens and a good coated UV filter is a subtantial chunk of the cost of the 18-55, so I would not bother.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph