Email notification and other boring topics

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited January 25, 2006 in Dgrin Forum Support
I figured out the exact rules for email notification. As long as you don't visit dgrin at all you will get at most one notification for each thread to which you are subscribed. Once you visit dgrin at all, even if not that thread. So this statement in the email notification is a little misleading:
There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

"The forum" here means "dgrin". Perhaps this could be customized to say "dgrin?" It doesn't matter very much.

On the other hand, I have noticed something that really seems to have changed for the worse since the vbulletin upgrade. I think it used to be that visiting a thread with a new post would actually turn off the yellow light associated with it and also with the forum at the top level. Now it seems to be based entirely on how long it's been since you visited dgrin after is was posted. (Whew, I had to state that one carefully.) Am I right? Was there a change? Do I understand the rules now? Does anyone care?
If not now, when?

Comments

• bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 25, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    On the other hand, I have noticed something that really seems to have changed for the worse since the vbulletin upgrade. I think it used to be that visiting a thread with a new post would actually turn off the yellow light associated with it and also with the forum at the top level. Now it seems to be based entirely on how long it's been since you visited dgrin after is was posted. (Whew, I had to state that one carefully.) Am I right? Was there a change? Do I understand the rules now? Does anyone care?

i am finding the same thing. i can go into a forum, read all my unread threads so the lights go out on the threads and the forum but if i close my browser and come back in, all the threads are lit up again.

very annoying.
    Pedal faster
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 25, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    i am finding the same thing. i can go into a forum, read all my unread threads so the lights go out on the threads and the forum but if i close my browser and come back in, all the threads are lit up again.

very annoying.
    its been a little weird in this respect from the beginning. On Baldy's other forum, advrider, the read/unread thing seems to work right, but not here.
    ne_nau.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    I always use the Forum Tools->Mark this Forum Read tool when I'm finished with a group... When I'm finished with all the groups, Quick Links->Mark all forums read does the trick.

I've recently changed my habits, though. I find it really easy to just click on "New Stuff", open up new tabs for all the threads I'm interested in, and then Mark all the forums read.
    Chris
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I always use the Forum Tools->Mark this Forum Read tool when I'm finished with a group... When I'm finished with all the groups, Quick Links->Mark all forums read does the trick.

I've recently changed my habits, though. I find it really easy to just click on "New Stuff", open up new tabs for all the threads I'm interested in, and then Mark all the forums read.

That's really nice to know, but I think a bug really was introduced at the upgrade, somehow.
    If not now, when?