Options

Dgrin on your phone

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited January 25, 2006 in Dgrin Forum Support
You need to be a pretty serious addict to care about this, and then you probably need to be a fairly serious nerd.

Opera Mini is an alternative browser for phones. Your phone has to be pretty good, probably needs to have some sort of browser already. But it runs on lots of phones, especially Nokia. I have a Treo 650 which has a well regarded browser (blazer) built in. But use it for dgrin and I wait forever for each response. I've used it, but it requires desparation.

Opera Mini is at least 10x faster for browsing dgrin. The trick? It uses special proxy which resizes and compresses everthing before sending to the phone. So the actual transfer takes a lot less time and also the browser has less work in order to render. Because phones have such small screens there is no point at all in sending much resolution to them anyway.

Access a page, it says "Processing" for a short amount of time, and then the page is received amost instantly.

Google for "Opera Mini" and your phone make and model and you'll probably find out what you need.
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    You need to be a pretty serious addict to care about this, and then you probably need to be a fairly serious nerd.

Opera Mini is an alternative browser for phones. Your phone has to be pretty good, probably needs to have some sort of browser already. But it runs on lots of phones, especially Nokia. I have a Treo 650 which has a well regarded browser (blazer) built in. But use it for dgrin and I wait forever for each response. I've used it, but it requires desparation.

Opera Mini is at least 10x faster for browsing dgrin. The trick? It uses special proxy which resizes and compresses everthing before sending to the phone. So the actual transfer takes a lot less time and also the browser has less work in order to render. Because phones have such small screens there is no point at all in sending much resolution to them anyway.

Access a page, it says "Processing" for a short amount of time, and then the page is received amost instantly.

Google for "Opera Mini" and your phone make and model and you'll probably find out what you need.

Cool! I'm gonna see if I can put Opera mini on my BlackBerry 7100....
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2006
    Looks like Blackberry might not work so good.

http://www.blackberrycool.com/2005/11/14/001077/

Maybe Blackberry won't work so good at email soon, too?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    speaking of blackberry.. Ouch..I am sure things will get worked out but right now they have major issues, I wouldn't get so dependant on em in the short run...
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2006
    4labs wrote:
    speaking of blackberry.. Ouch..I am sure things will get worked out but right now they have major issues, I wouldn't get so dependant on em in the short run...

That's what I meant. But I should talk, eh; I love my Palm based Treo (check out chatteremail if you want a blackberry like mail experience on your treo) and loath all forms of Windows based software. And PalmOS is dead.

Nokia is starting to look very interesting, eh?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    As someone who up to very recently has had some really good insights in the Windows Mobile industry, I still have hopes Microsoft gets it right with this platform. Sure, I have to soft reset my PDA now and then. But I needed to reset my Treo 600 almost as often. Putting all kinds of functionality in limited devices puts a toll on things, let's not all attribute that to Microsoft. They must be doing something right (like corportae connectivity), since there is a reason even Palm wanted to go with Windows Mobile in the end. And although they're not there yet, the rest of the world isn't either. Did you really try the Nokia Series OS? Yuck! PS: Opera is available in a beta for Windows Mobile devices as well. Try running it on a VGA Pocket PC. ;)
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    I was referring to this headache
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2006
    4labs wrote:
    I was referring to this headache

Yeah, me too.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    As someone who up to very recently has had some really good insights in the Windows Mobile industry, I still have hopes Microsoft gets it right with this platform. Sure, I have to soft reset my PDA now and then. But I needed to reset my Treo 600 almost as often. Putting all kinds of functionality in limited devices puts a toll on things, let's not all attribute that to Microsoft. They must be doing something right (like corportae connectivity), since there is a reason even Palm wanted to go with Windows Mobile in the end. And although they're not there yet, the rest of the world isn't either. Did you really try the Nokia Series OS? Yuck! PS: Opera is available in a beta for Windows Mobile devices as well. Try running it on a VGA Pocket PC. ;)

I've just banged my head too hard and long against the windows wall as a developer and user. Have to admit I've never tried a windows phone, but Microsoft just isn't on the list of companies I like to do business with.

My standards aren't really that high; I might like Nokia.

What I really want is a Linux based phone and Nokia might just be the guys to do that.
    If not now, when?