Options

Simple Minded Question on Exposure Comp

gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
edited January 27, 2006 in Technique
I am just learning my brand new 20D. Is the exposure compensation feature in effect the equivalent of using a neutral density filter (when stopping down)?

Thanks,

Gary

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    gpgold wrote:
    I am just learning my brand new 20D. Is the exposure compensation feature in effect the equivalent of using a neutral density filter (when stopping down)?

Thanks,

Gary

Exposure Comp tells your camera to override what the meter is reading, by 1/3, 2/3s, 1stop, etc + or -, however you set it.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    Not really
    If you are using auto or semi auto modes, placing a neutral density filter on the camera will result in a longer exposure or wider aperture, but the output, the final exposure will look the same regardless if the filter is on or off. If the image looked bright before the filter was placed on, it will still look bright when the filter is used because the camera will compensate for the filter being used.

Exposure compensation will tell the camera to change the final exposure to look different, brighter or darker than it normally would. If the image looked bright before using exposure compensation, it will look darker when using negative exposure compensation.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Exposure Comp tells your camera to override what the meter is reading, by 1/3, 2/3s, 1stop, etc + or -, however you set it.

Thanks Andy!

Best Regards,

Gary