Options

HS Basketball, First time

AlonerAloner Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited January 31, 2006 in Sports
This was my first time shooting basketball. I really wish i had some better equipment but i was shooting with a Rebel XT, Sigma 28-55mm F/3.5, Sigma 70-300mm F/4, and a Nikon SB 50DX (quite the mix of equipment eh?). This is all the equipment that I had access to, it's the stuff my schools yearbook staff own. Since my fastest lens was the F/3.5 I had to bump my ISO to 1600 and even then I had to lighten a lot in photoshop (I really need a 1.8 something!). So here are some of my "best" shots with a bit of LAB work done in PS.

ps. I think I shot all at between F/3.5-5.5 at shutter 400 (was that faster than I needed?) and ISO 1600.

Any tips on getting some better shots?

Comments

• Options
    edited January 27, 2006
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    btw, I admire anyone who can keep up with basketball players, I was worn out by the end of the first half! eek7.gif

• Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2006
    hi 'loner,

neat series, but I think the 1st is my favorite. I really like how the ball is right at her hand, but w/ the muscles in her arm buldging, it's obvious that it's not staying there long. Maybe more of a crop to accentuate the player?

good luck with more bb shots
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2006
    Aloner...
    Considering what you had to work with, you did pretty good. What you proved was that you were able to follow the game and get some nice sequences of shots-thumb.gif

Now, since you asked for advice....

Go directly to your Yearbook Adviser, do not pass go, do not stop at the cafeteria or even the lavatory....

Look them dead in the eye and calmly and respectfully tell them that it is IMPOSSIBLE to properly photograph indoor sports with the equipment they have given you. Explain to them that they need to beg, borrow, or steal, at the bare minimum a CANON EF 50mm f/1.8 lens NOW. If at all possible, explain to them that what you really need is a CANON EF 85 f/1.8.

You can with a clear conscience tell them that it would be better for them to sell or trade one of their 'extra' bodies and a set of Sigma lenses like you described, than to put you (or any other Yearbook shooter...) through the stress and frustration of shooting with what you described.

You can also tell them with no exageration, that with the 85mm you can cover 90% of indoor sports and events. This includes basketball, volleyball, wrestling, the cheerleaders, pep-rallys, wing-bowls, you name it. Yes, the '85' is *that* good.

A perfect 'cheap' yearbook setup would be:

Canon XT
    Canon EF 35 f/2.0
    Canon EF 50 f/1.8
    Canon EF 85 f/1.8
    Canon 420EX or even 220EX flash

Add that to what you described above (for general day-time and indoor static flash shots), and you can cover just about anything except for night football under the lights which is a whole 'nother animal.

As far as settings-

Shutter speed is king for sports action shots!

1/400th is good-1/500th is BETTER. Even with an f/1.8 lens I am forced to shoot ISO1600 at every High School gym I've been in, to get fast enough shutter speeds. From the looks of your shots, you are shooting under similar conditions. Don't sweat the high ISO's, and don't sweat the much bally-hooed 'noise' factor. The XT will take good care of you there. I prefer high ISO non-flash shots, but if you want you can always experiment with manual flash settings.

WHITE BALANCE-

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, do a custom white balance when shooting under gym lights. This will save you time in post processing if you shoot RAW and will save YOUR BUTT if you are shooting JPEG. Setting a custom WB on a Canon is simple....

Take a white piece of paper to the game, lay it on the floor under the lights, fill the frame with it, and shoot (don't worry about whether it's even in focus, as it doesn't matter for this...). Now, go into the menu and pick the 'paper' shot in the custom white balance option. Go to you WB setting on the body and select the icon shown in your manual for 'custom white balance' (hint-it's the one that looks somewhat like a flower with a leaf on each side).

COMPOSITION AND FRAMING-

Tightly frame your subjects\players. NOW, when *you think* you are shooting tight-SHOOT TIGHTER. This is one of the supreme mantras of the modern sports shooter. Do not, however, loose yourself in this. Learn what works for you.

Get under, yes UNDER the basket if possible. As a year book shooter you should have free reign on your home court. Don't be obnoxious about it, but be CONFIDENT. This is an assignment, and you need to be in the right place at the right time. Place yourself so that the players are approaching you on your left as you face the court. this way you will get....

FACES, FACES, FACES....

This is another sports 'mantra'-we want to see the players face, almost without exception. The intensity of a game is captured in the eyes of the players.

BALL, BALL, BALL,.....

Second only to faces, the ball is usually critical in an action shot. It is afterall the focus of the players.

Well, hopefully this has been some help to you. I tried to keep it somewhat brief so it was easier to digest....

Good luck, and good light!

Mongrel
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    1ibandit1ibandit Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2006
    Mongrel wrote:
    Well, hopefully this has been some help to you. I tried to keep it somewhat brief so it was easier to digest....

Good luck, and good light!

Mongrel

Well done Mongrel, Help like this will really help us grow, and learn. I also shoot my kids games. I average 200 to 300 pictures per game. I am also stuck with the stock lenses for now. (18-55, 75-300) I do just about everything you talk about, and am ok with how they turn out. I have not done the while balance, but I will next time.

If you want to see some of the picture I take go to my http://1ibandit.smugmug.com and see them.. I have a ton more to upload.
    1iBandit
    "Take what is given, and steal the rest."
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2006
    Thanks for the kind words 1i....
    glad this was helpful.

I have a little bit of time so I thought I would throw up (headscratch.gif ) a few examples of BB shots taken with the 50mm f/1.8 and the 85mm f/1.8. These were taken with a 1D but I've gotten similar results using my 20D.

First up, 50mm f/1.8 'under the basket'....

734297-large.jpg

Next the 85 f/1.8 'under the basket'...

734295-large.jpg

and the 85 f/1.8 shooting a bit further out...

734292-large.jpg

These aren't to *prove* anything, I sincerely consider myself a pretty mediocre BB shooter and only wanted to show the difference in perspective.

Note: On a 20D body, the 50mm perspective will be closer to the 85mm shots above, and the 85mm shots will be closer to the perspective you would get using a 70mm lens on a 1.6 crop body.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2006
    Wow, thanks for all the tips, I'll try to convince the advisor to get at least a 50mm f/1.8 maybe even some long "L" glass :P

and Mongrel, were all your shots done with available light?

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 29, 2006
    Yes fast glass is going to help... but I want to make one comment. Shooting at ISO 1600 on a Rebel XT is actually not so bad. I was pretty happy with lots of my shots taken this way in dim meetings/indoor conventions. HOWEVER: you said you did a lot of lightening. If by lightening you mean pushing a stop in RAW conversion, you're really doing yourself a big disservice as this brings out ALL the noise. If you're shooting at ISO 1600, you really need to be sure you are exposing correctly at the time of the shoot, even for RAW.

Other than the pretty noticeable noise, your composition and action catching seems pretty good. But you definitely need to address the noise - it is okay for photojournalistic style shots, but you rarely see good sports shots with noise like that in them.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    1ibandit1ibandit Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2006
    Mongrel wrote:

Next the 85 f/1.8 'under the basket'...

734295-large.jpg

Note: On a 20D body, the 50mm perspective will be closer to the 85mm shots above, and the 85mm shots will be closer to the perspective you would get using a 70mm lens on a 1.6 crop body.

So if I was to get a 50mm 1.8 this is how the close the pictures would be under the hoop? hmmmmmmmm I have been wanting a 50mm (my price range )to shoot my kids games... but now that maybe to strong..

Thanks.... back to e-bay to find lower mm lens...
    1iBandit
    "Take what is given, and steal the rest."
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 30, 2006
    Aloner wrote:
    Wow, thanks for all the tips, I'll try to convince the advisor to get at least a 50mm f/1.8 maybe even some long "L" glass :P

and Mongrel, were all your shots done with available light?

You are right Aloner. Lots of great info here. Thanks Mongrel and Doc clap.gif

The only points I will add is if you can move about, shoot from a couple of different vantage points. Under the basket is great, but you can only get so many shots from that perspective. Try the corners (remember most players drive right and shoot right-handed). You can even move up into the bleachers for interesting perspectives. Watch your backgrounds. They will screw up even the best shots :uhoh Try to get tight like Mongrel's 2nd shot. Faces, action, the ball and contact are our mantra rolleyes1.gif

The Custom WB suggestion is a very good one, as is the RAW suggestion. Normally, your images will need some post processing work. Depending on the lighting and your skill, they may need a little to a lot of work. I almost always have to brighten the the shot (or at least parts of it) and/or reduce skin glare (players with their faces turned up towards the lights). So get familiar with a workflow or techniques for "fixing/improving" your shots.

Lastly, there's no substitute for speed. In this type of lighting you really need 1/500 or so shutter speeds to freeze action and to get nice sharp results. To get these speeds, you need a fast prime. The 50mm F1.8 and the 85mm F1.8 are both excellent values and performers. They 85 is a bit faster on the AF and gives you a better, at least in my opinion, focal length for B-ball. But either will do just fine.

I am working on a "stickey" for indoor, available light basketball shooting and Mongrel has already covered 3/4 of my information in his post.....Laughing.gif

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress :D

Steve

Corner shot
    47128284-L.jpg

From the corner and behind the baseline
    47392571-L.jpg

4 rows up in the bleachers
    50196503-L.jpg

From 10 rows up in the bleachers
    47392523-L.jpg

From behind the backboard
    50715494-L.jpg

And last but not least, from my favorite perspective. Shot from behind the ref....Laughing.gif
    50196520-L.jpg

All shot with the 20D and 85mm F1.8
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 31, 2006
    1ibandit wrote:
    So if I was to get a 50mm 1.8 this is how the close the pictures would be under the hoop? hmmmmmmmm I have been wanting a 50mm (my price range )to shoot my kids games... but now that maybe to strong..

Thanks.... back to e-bay to find lower mm lens...
    Bandit, read closely, this shot you left the comment on was with an 85/1.8 not the 50mm. the 35mm will make a big difference, especially on 1.6x digital. nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    Sorry I took so long to get back guys...
    Let's see headscratch.gif

1. My three shots were taken in available light.

2. I made a mistake on one of them, as it was taken with the 135L and NOT the 85 f/1.8. (It's the shot of the kid off the ground).

3. My math may have been a little screwy so here's the clarification-

On a 1D with 1.3X crop factor, the 50mm is 'equivelent' to 65mm.
    On a 1D with 1.3X crop factor, the 85mm is 'equivelent' to 110.5mm.
    On a 20D 1.6X crop factor the 50mm is 'equivelent to' 80mm.
    On a 20D 1.6X crop factor the 85mm is 'equivelent' to 136mm.

So, no *real* comparison there eek7.gif (but, hey, I was *sort-of* close :D ).

4. Steve, your welcome!

5. Steve, your shots are totally KILLER thumb.gif (yea-THAT'S what i'm talkin' about!)

6. BTW-when I spoke of 'behind the basket' or 'under the basket' (I actually forget what the heck I wrote now :uhoh ), by no means did I mean FOR THE WHOLE GAME! As Steve pointed out, there are many interesting angles to get great shots from-so experiment-LIVE A LITTLE! rolleyes1.gif

Hopefully, I covered everything ne_nau.gif

Personal note: I haven't shot *any* BB this year yet :cry

good luck and good light,

Mongrel