Options

Rebel XT Questions

GAUG3GAUG3 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited February 5, 2006 in Cameras
Hello. I've been lurking for a month or so and found that this community is very helpful. So, I decided to stick my mailbox in the ground and let everybody know that a newbie to the SLR world is moving in.

I finally convienced my wife that we need to get rid of the Cyber-shot P72 P&S and invest in an SLR. She gave me the green light; however, there is a budget. I am familar with the Rebel XT because a relative has one and he allowed me to test drive it. I have read that the lense that comes with the camera should be replaced. So, I think I will go with just buying the body and do some research on good lense around $250.

I have to go with my favorite computer store NEWEGG. However, I not sure what the difference is between the two. Can anybody clarify? Click here. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCompare.asp?CompareItemList=N82E16830120028,N82E16830120029&SubCategory=12

I thought the black was black and the silver is silver. I saw there was a price difference. Then I start comparing and notice the black does not have a self timer, and the silver has a high-sensitivity, high-resolution, single-plate color CMOS sensor, and LCD Depends On Lens Optical Zoom.

Can anybody clarify?

Comments

• Options
    HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2006
    They're exactly the same camera, the body plastic is just a different colour.
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2006
    Hello and welcome GAUG3...
    As stated, they are both the same camera, just a different color lipstick.

I am also a Newegg fan and contributor rolleyes1.gif of many years. However, they are not the best place for *information* on products.

I suggest you do some research on the XT and its specifications at Canon USA's website and dpreview. Dpreview (www.dpreview.com) will give you a detailed review and the Canon USA website has several sections on getting the best from your new dslr that are very helpful to beginners.

As far as a lens...

Depending on your budget you may want to go with the kit lens for starters. It's not great but for the price of an XT kit you can be shooting right out of the box very reasonably.

I'd also strongly suggest you pick up the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 for around $70. This gives you a great available light lens, as well as a very sharp portrait and general use lens.

You WILL be investing in more lenses as you grow into your new camera so I'll suggest two good bang-for-the-buck zooms to compliment the above.

1. Canon EF 55-200 (around $210 at reputable-(read B&H)-dealers. Bemoaned by some but loved by others, this is a very capable *good light* lens that was designed to compliment the 18-55 kit lens. I have taken some fantastic shots with the one I used to have.

2. Moving up the food chain, you may want to consider the Canon EF 70-300mm IS at some point. Quite a bit more expensive, but you get the extra 100mm and IS (image stabilization).

If you would consider a used lens, I'd recommend following the Dgrin buy and sell forum, or the Fred Miranda buy and sell forum (www.fredmiranda.com) for great deals on used gear.

Keep us posted on your progress and ask away as needed!

Good luck and good light...

Mongrel
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 28, 2006
    Welcome Gaug3. Good reply Mongrel!thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2006
    i agree with what mongrel wrote, and have another lense suggestionmwink.gif

i use the

Canon 28-105 3.5-4.5 II USM

fantastic lense. sharp as a tack. and affordable too, at 220 brand new at B&H, and another 15 for the lense-hood, thats just 235. a great deal, and in your budget toothumb.gif

also has a nice range for a walk-around lense.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited January 28, 2006
    Thank you all for the input. I guess NEWEGG listed it incorrectly. They made the silver one look like it had another feature. While lurking around, I stumbled upon B&H and found that they were cheaper. I'm leaning towards B&H at this moment. I like to go to PBASE and look at sample captures people are taking on a particular lense. I will look at the 50mm f/1.8 as well as the 28-105mm.

I've been looking at the Canon 50mm f/2.5 macro AF. I've read that it takes great portraits and the macro is awesome. Sample pictures are impressive.

For under $1156 I could get the XT body (black), 50mm macro lense, card reader, 1GB Sandisk Ultra II.

Decisions.... decisions.....ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2006
    If you want a macro/portrait lens, I'd suggest the EF-S 60/2.8 macro rather than the EF 50/2.5 macro. The 60 does 1:1 closeups (the 50 only 1:2) and gets rave reviews. Honestly, the 18-55 isn't a bad lens - indoors with flash it works just fine and lets you see what kind of shooting you'll be doing in the future for a very minor fee. I'll also recommend the 70-300 IS lens when you save up some $. I've had mine for several weeks now and the shots look great.

Here's my lineup that I got with the 20D and triple rebates:
    50/1.4 ($275 after rebate) - great for available light, maybe slightly too long on the 1.6x crop cameras. Thinking about the Sigma 30/1.4 or 24/1.8 instead.

70-300 IS ($525 after rebate) - great telezoom with IS. Perhaps slightly inferior to the quality of the 70-200/4L, but with longer reach and IS. Smaller and lighter, too, for travelling.

18-55 ($60 used) - decent, good light, wide zoom. Near impossible to beat the range for the price especially indoors with a flash.

I'll probably be upgrading to the 17-85 IS sometime this year, as well as getting a macro lens (100/2.8 or 150/2.8) after the initial body/lens purchase shock wears off. That should leave me fairly well covered.

My suggestions for you are the 18-55 kit, 50/1.8, and 55-200. Tha covers your range well and will let you decide where you want to upgrade your gear after getting used to it and learning what your subject focus is. Just remember, there's no such thing as "I have all the camera gear I need"....
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2006
    I've read specs on the Canon 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 USM and the Canon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5. I know, these are low end; however, I am on that budget and just now getting into SLRs. I've seen samples for each lense. For those that have the 28-105, are you impressed with the quality. The price is about the same.

I think I have settled on the 50mm 1.8 because of the price. Would 28-105 compliment the 50mm?

Thank you!
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    GAUG3 wrote:
    Thank you all for the input. I guess NEWEGG listed it incorrectly. They made the silver one look like it had another feature. While lurking around, I stumbled upon B&H and found that they were cheaper. I'm leaning towards B&H at this moment.

B&H is very reputable, have no fear in purchasing from them, I have bought tons of things from them (and actually been in their store). I actually purchased my XT body from Dell,when they had a good deal on it. Right now they have it for $809.

Newegg is good too, though I typically buy just PC parts from them, never bought camera gear from there.