Options

infrared filter

bphillybphilly Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited February 16, 2006 in Accessories
ive recently discovered infrared photography and think its really cool. I was wondering if to get infrared images, is all i need the hoya infrared filter http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=23076&is=REG&addedTroughType=search.
the description throws me off, because it says the filter is for use with infrared film. i have a d70 though.

Comments

• Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    bphilly wrote:
    ive recently discovered infrared photography and think its really cool. I was wondering if to get infrared images, is all i need the hoya infrared filter http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=23076&is=REG&addedTroughType=search.
    the description throws me off, because it says the filter is for use with infrared film. i have a d70 though.

dont know but im sure it will help.. then fix in PS? I have seen pics from guys with "altered" cams set up for infared..very cool. I would imagin though, like a fisheye lens, it gets boring afterawhile. There are places on the web who will sell you a brand new camera all set for infared..i know they have Canon's but im not sure about Nikons.
    -zacker-
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    all you really need is a filter and a tripod and a shutter release

the filter only lets in Infared light, but is alot less profficient than the modded cameras, thus you need a longer exposure time...thats where the tripod and shutter release come in.

however i'm not doing IR until i can save up for a modded body, the promise of blurry leaves on a *not so breezy* day from an infared image is not as promising to me as 1/1000th of a second isthumb.gif

did i help?ne_nau.gif

Daniel
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    bphilly wrote:

You can do IR with the D70 using and R72 filter. Just make sure you buy the right size filter for your lens. The one you posted is too small if you are fitting it on the D70 kit lens. I bought mine for the kit lens on ebay. Here is the link for a 67mm filter http://cgi.ebay.com/Hoya-67mm-Infrared-IR-R72-Filter-67-Filtre-NEW-IN-CASE_W0QQitemZ7586120696QQcategoryZ15220QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You will need a tripod for these shots and either the remote or use the camera timer. Compose the picture, screw on the filter, take picture. You will need to experiment with shutterspeeds.

Here was my 5th IR photo out of my D70.
    51626102-L.jpg
  • Options
    bphillybphilly Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    thanks for your help
    thanks daniel, yes you did help, i was unaware you needed a much longer shutter speed.

mitchell, unfortunately i dont have the kit lens but a 28-80 g instead. im planning on getting the 52mm filter to go on my 50mm prime because ill probably keep that lens for a while. i might sell my 28-80 and pick up the 18-70 soon. great shot by the way!
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    These filters are not cheap. I would recommend getting the larger of the sizes you need. Then you can purchase a step up ring if you need to mount it on your smaller lens in the filter.
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    I have used 2filter.com for all my filters. Great prices, fast shipping. The 67mm Hoya R72, when placed in your cart, is ~$68.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    eye-maxeye-max Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Your best bet for IR shots would be to have a dslr modified for IR. The only place I'm aware of is maxmax. It has been recommended at dpr that you get a used Canon rebel and have it converted by maxmax, or order the replacement sensor and have a camera service shop near you install it. They also supply a filter that allows your camera to shoot "normal non-IR images".
    Hope this helps.
    max
  • Options
    portellimageryportellimagery Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    With an unmodified camera, it will take patience (at least it did with my 20D) Long exposure (10-20seconds at ISO1600) and a tripod, and don't get me started on the compose, focus, screw on filter, snap, wait...repeat. There are several places that can mod cameras, David Burren in Austrailia, MaxMax, and LifePixel. I was going to go through Dvid Burren but timing didn't work out for when I needed the camera back for a trip. I chose MaxMax because of the quick turn around but more expensive. They are modifying my brand new Rebel XT for IR only. I can't wait to play in San Antonio... sunshine, the Alamo and four Spanish missions, I am hoping to get some great IR phoots to sell.
    Portell Imagery - Photography by Micheal Portell
    www.portellimagery.com
    Portell Imagery - The Blog blog.portellimagery.com
    Speak Up Designs www.speakupdesigns.com
    Get your Portell Imagery 2006 Photography Calendar here