Options

10D Versus Digital Rebel

dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
edited August 16, 2004 in Cameras
Well, I am really really wanting a Digital SLR (I love my film slr and my point n shoot digital but I like the slr camera's more than a point n shoot and I hating waiting for film to develope) and I am a Canon guy, and the 1D is way outta my price so. The Is the photo quality from the 6.3mp rebels comperable to the 10D? I know the 10D is a great camera but havent heard much about the digital rebel. WIll i hate the digital rebel? Is the 10D that much better of a camera? What do you guys think?
Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
www.zxstudios.com
http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2004
    i owned the rebel for 3 months and then upgraded to the 10d. both are fine, fine cameras. i wanted the more substantial build on the 10d. the 10d also is a bit faster, and has some functions like ai-servo focusing that are not on the 300d.

both use the same image sensor, both produce great quality images.

i'm likely selling my 10d shortly to move up to the 1ds mk 2
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2004
    Andy,
    How shortly and How much?
    Gary
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2004
    Andy,
    How shortly and How much?
    Gary

probably around the first week of sept. $1300, including the big-ed grip.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 13, 2004
    I've been thinking of upgrading from the 10D to the MKII as well. I have one in my hot little hands right now, because I rented it for the 3-day weekend.

At the camera store they told us that Canon notified them this a.m. that they'll be announcing the replacement for the 10D shortly, like August 20th (I fogot the date 11doh.gif).
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2004
    10D v 300D
    The Is the photo quality from the 6.3mp rebels comperable to the 10D? I know the 10D is a great camera but havent heard much about the digital rebel. WIll i hate the digital rebel? Is the 10D that much better of a camera? What do you guys think?

The dRebel and 10D use the very same sensor and image processor, so the images look identical. And they are sharp and smooth. I'm very happy and impressed with my dRebel in that respect. What I'm not happy with is how few shots I can take in a row in continuous shot mode (10D is almost 2X), and a few missing features like RAW+JPG, mirror lock-up, and histograms that the 10D has. The 10D also has more flexibilty in auto-focus tracking and in exposure metering.

If I had to do it again, I'd do the 10D. Some of the missing features can be found in a firmware hack, but not all.

Both cameras do not support write-acceleration, so writing to the CF cards is slow in both cameras.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 13, 2004
    mercphoto wrote:
    The dRebel and 10D use the very same sensor and image processor, so the images look identical. And they are sharp and smooth. I'm very happy and impressed with my dRebel in that respect. What I'm not happy with is how few shots I can take in a row in continuous shot mode (10D is almost 2X), and a few missing features like RAW+JPG, mirror lock-up, and histograms that the 10D has. The 10D also has more flexibilty in auto-focus tracking and in exposure metering.

If I had to do it again, I'd do the 10D. Some of the missing features can be found in a firmware hack, but not all.

Both cameras do not support write-acceleration, so writing to the CF cards is slow in both cameras.
    uh, thanks, i was gonna reply the same thing word for word.

on the hack: it can only fix rarely used things like ISO3200 and mirror lock up. what the Drebel really suffers from is the lack of frames in continuous, already mentioned.

wait a couple weeks, you'll be able to buy the 10D at the same price as the Drebel, albeit without the kitty lens, which is actually quite good when you consider its "thrown in".

* don't buy anything from andy, he rubs off all the good mojo before he sends it to you :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited August 13, 2004
    I have lenses I just need the body. I can find the body new from a reputable dealer locally for 1289.00. Wonder how soon the price will drop cause of the replacement.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2004
    I have lenses I just need the body. I can find the body new from a reputable dealer locally for 1289.00. Wonder how soon the price will drop cause of the replacement.

i'm saying body + big-ed grip together. also no tax or shipping.

that said, i'm willing to dicker. pm me if you like.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2004
    Erik lets hope your wrong bout andy rubbing the good mojo off.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2004
    bad mojo
    oh stawp it now :D

* don't buy anything from andy, he rubs off all the good mojo before he sends it to you :D[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    hey, i didn't say you put in any bad mojo, just took off all the super-andy mojo :D
    Erik

• Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    hey, i didn't say you put in any bad mojo, just took off all the super-andy mojo :D

how are you makin out with that 28-135? it's a great lens, isn't it?
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    andy wrote:
    how are you makin out with that 28-135? it's a great lens, isn't it?
    super indeed! I think i've taken it off my camera once since I got it from you - and that was your fault. You and your wide angle challenge. :D
    Erik