Options

Can I get rid of the noise in this?

vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
edited February 2, 2006 in Technique
I had a play with low light conditions over the weekend & set up my venetian mask on a black cloth, & lit it with a candle. I got some really nice stuff but when I looked in PS I got loads of small coloured dots.

Here's the one direct from the camera

54597008-M.jpg

EXif
Sutter 2.8 sec
on Aperture priority mode
F/11
ISO 200
Focal length 46.8

I upped the curves in PS & added a levels layer as well to beef theblacks up some more.

54597009-M.jpg

But in PS I can see lots of dots. Is there a way of getting rid of them or is it a 'reshoot" job?

I want to get this right as this is for another competition over here & am also going to shoot it on a white background in differnet light

Thanks
Nicola
Nicola
Iconic Creative
http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
Raghu Rai

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    Embrace the noise!
    Noise is good, don't try to kill it.

Well, let me clarify.

Luminance noise good, chroma noise "bad".

To reduce chroma noise, copy the image and paste as a new layer. Set the new layer's blending to color and then apply a gaussian blur to it until the chroma noise is at the level that pleases you.

If the luminance noise was really not the look you were going for, you can always try to reshoot it with a better exposure/tripod/lower ISO.

p.s. by the way, I don't see any noise in that shot.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006

I was thinking the same thing. I tried my hardest and just couldn't find any! Lol, anyway, I really like that shoit. Excellent mood!
  • Options
    NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    Rhuarc wrote:
    I was thinking the same thing. I tried my hardest and just couldn't find any! Lol, anyway, I really like that shoit. Excellent mood!
    I can see it slightly, and I'm guessing you mean a full size printout would realy show it. It's not bad right now. It kind of goes along with the textured mask look on the face.

I love the photo btw. Did you try a slight noise reduction effect? If in doubt, go to Costco....I always say, lolol. For $2 you can have a 11x17 made, uploaded from home.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    Netgarden wrote:
    I can see it slightly, and I'm guessing you mean a full size printout would realy show it. It's not bad right now. It kind of goes along with the textured mask look on the face.

I love the photo btw. Did you try a slight noise reduction effect? If in doubt, go to Costco....I always say, lolol. For $2 you can have a 11x17 made, uploaded from home.

Thanks! I did try Despeckle but that seemed to have little/no effect.
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • Options
    swoozieqswoozieq Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 1, 2006
    http://www.neatimage.com/index.html?58

Try the free version of Neat Image.. I love this little program.. Try it everything auto until you figure out all the tweaks you have available to you..

By the way, I love the moodiness and what you did with this beautiful mask! thumb.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    Thank you for writing that.

Sometimes I go crazy when people complain about noise and I have to strain to see what they're talking about.

Looks fine to me, Nicola.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Thank you for writing that.

Sometimes I go crazy when people complain about noise and I have to strain to see what they're talking about.

Looks fine to me, Nicola.

Thanks for all the help & comments. I'm still a little confused though. If there is little/no noise there, what are all the little coloured specks dots I can see in PS? Other low light shots at the same time I've taken are fine.

Thanks
    Nicola
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative

Raghu Rai