Options

deciding image mark up.

zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
edited February 2, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
what is "the norm" for marking up images on your site? do you play it conservative? shoot for the moon? or are ya cheap? I think im priced pretty conservativly as apposed to some of the other sites ive seen... how to figure out what to charge? ive heard tell of $$ of equipment and your time should be a good place to start, but how?
-zacker-
http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    zacker wrote:
    what is "the norm" for marking up images on your site? do you play it conservative? shoot for the moon? or are ya cheap? I think im priced pretty conservativly as apposed to some of the other sites ive seen... how to figure out what to charge? ive heard tell of $$ of equipment and your time should be a good place to start, but how?
    -zacker-

Moved to MYOB Forum. Zacker, have a look around in here, in this forum. And also, here's the book I recommend highly:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1097113
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    Most photos are not commodities. So you set the price. You are in total control here.

The more unique the photo, the more the photo can command. Also your market will help decide what price will get them out the door. Generally, you have to spend time testing the market to see where your photos stand and what price they can command. There is no shortcut to experience here.

Another factor in deciding on a price is how much does it cost you take those photos. If you add up all the expenses and time, and then try to average that out per photo, how much do you need to charge to "break even"? How much would you have to charge to make a profit? How much would you have to charge to do this full time?

To be sure, there are those out there with the quality to be able to support themselves on selling their photography, but most do not. And some who make a living at photography have inferior quality to some who don't make a living at it. So part of the equation also comes down to marketing. The harder you work to sell something the better your results likely will be.
    zacker wrote:
    -zacker-
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    Another factor in deciding on a price is how much does it cost you take those photos. If you add up all the expenses and time, and then try to average that out per photo, how much do you need to charge to "break even"?

This number can be shocking :D There's nothing like working for "LESS" than minimum wage rolleyes1.gif
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"