Options

JPEG or PDF?

nikon90nikon90 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited August 18, 2004 in Finishing School
I have Photoshop Elements and I am really getting into this. My problem came a week ago making a gallery for my hubby's guitars. I saved everything and then went to upload but smugmug said it couldn't use PDF files, so I went back and resaved everything as JPEG and it went fine. Now when I finish editing I've been putting everything in JPEG but it always offers me the chance to save it as a PDF. Do you guys save it in both or just one or what? What's the best way to do this? I use my PICS for smugmug and sending to friends so I don't really need huge massive files but I do want good quality that will last. THANKS!!!
Terri

"I feed off the light, that I walk in"- Still Rain

http://SoRealismPhotography.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2004
    nikon90 wrote:
    I have Photoshop Elements and I am really getting into this. My problem came a week ago making a gallery for my hubby's guitars. I saved everything and then went to upload but smugmug said it couldn't use PDF files, so I went back and resaved everything as JPEG and it went fine. Now when I finish editing I've been putting everything in JPEG but it always offers me the chance to save it as a PDF. Do you guys save it in both or just one or what? What's the best way to do this? I use my PICS for smugmug and sending to friends so I don't really need huge massive files but I do want good quality that will last. THANKS!!!
    I save my images in Photoshop format, but when I want to send them to someone else or put them on smugmug, I create JPEGs. If I remeber correctly, there isn't much difference between a JPEG and a color picture stored as PDF, so unless you're going to use some of the PDF features (font embedding, multiple pages, etc...) I would just stick to JPEG.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    I do put my name on them but I'm not really into all those layers and things. I just do basic touch up. Thanks for the reply :D
    Terri

• Options
    michael972michael972 Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2004
    PDF FILES?!?!

There is no reason to convert images into PDF files unless you're trying to put together a book or something.
    nikon90 wrote:
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 16, 2004
    are you sure its PDF? Most of us here do manipulative work in photoshop, so we need extra layer information, which in Photoshop CS is a PSD file. I don't know elements, is there by any chance a PSD in there? That is worth saving if you are doing lots of touch up, then just flatten and output as a JPG to print or post.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    I just checked it and it has an option for both PSD and PDF. The only layering I think I really do is adding my name. I'm not too much into the manipulative side of Photoshop. I just like adjusting colour, contrast, cropping and putting my name on there. I'm a pretty straight forward kind of shooter. I was just wondering what was best because I see one is larger but that smugmug doesn't use it, so I didn't know if I needed to be saving both or just one. Its really confusing with 2 copies of every image on here. You've all been really helpful. Thanks alot!!! :D
    Terri

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2004
    Now that I shoot in RAW, I keep two copies of every treated shot. One's a 16-bit TIFF, and the other's an 8-bit JPEG for uploading to smugmug.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Now that I shoot in RAW, I keep two copies of every treated shot. One's a 16-bit TIFF, and the other's an 8-bit JPEG for uploading to smugmug.
    Waxy,

Why a 16 bit TIFF vs. a 16 bit PSDear.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Waxy,

Why a 16 bit TIFF vs. a 16 bit PSDear.gif

Only because the converted RAW comes across as a TIFF and I don't change it, even after PS'ing it. Should I?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Only because the converted RAW comes across as a TIFF and I don't change it, even after PS'ing it. Should I?
    I just played around with the TIFF vs. PSD thing and it looks like for the most part that Photoshop can make a TIFF that will do everything that a PSD will. So I guess it's just a preference thing.