Options

Need a tool...

mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
edited February 5, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
Let's start at the beginning. I am putting together a slide show for a group and the photos are coming from a number of sources. I'd like to show the photos chronologically based on the Exif data (where possible, some will be scanned images). Does anyone know of a batch rename program that will do this?

I don't have all the photos yet but I suspect there will be over 1500 photos (I had over 700 of my own!) and I don't want to do this manually.

Thanks. :scratch

Comments

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    If you are using CS2/Bridge, take a look at the free Import Camera Script on Adobe's website.

http://share.studio.adobe.com/axBrowseSubmit.asp?c=222

This will allow you to use all sorts of embedded info from Exif to IPTC Core, etc. in your file renaming. You would simply assemble all your files in a folder or common subdirectory with folders, create a template under the Rename Options, and set a destination folder.

Should do the trick.

Brad
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    I found the answer right under my own nose. ACDSee Pro has this very option already!

http://www.acdsystems.com/support/knowledgebase/article?searchterms=rename&product=ACDSee+Pro&articleid=&_formID=index&id=2321

Here is how it works:
    Select the photos to be renamed. Then select Tools->Batch Rename from the tool bar. Which will display this:

55228736-L.jpg

From here you can set the template to be used in the rename. I selected EXIF and from there the date/time stamp.

In this example look at the right side of the screen and see the old name & the proposed new name.

55228737-L.jpg

If I scroll down you can see that not all photos will have the same date on them making it easier for me to sequence them in my slide show!

55228735-L.jpg

When you are satisfied with the name you just click on Start Rename and off it goes. Pretty fast too.

My trial period for this software is about up but I think I will purchase it as it does so many things well.