Options

Day at the Dragway

TassieDTassieD Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
edited February 24, 2006 in Sports
Spent the day at the local dragway yesterday and had a ball watching all the action and having a go at capyuring some on the camera also.
Here are just a couple i HAVE pp'ed so far. Followed by a link to the gallery.

starter.jpg

fcar1.jpg

bout3.jpg

link to gallery http://photobucket.com/albums/v127/dwclifford/Motors%20ACDelco%20Dragway%204th%20Feb%202006/?
Cheers
David Clifford

Comments

• Options
    Chris_SChris_S Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    TassieD wrote:
    Spent the day at the local dragway yesterday and had a ball watching all the action and having a go at capyuring some on the camera also.
    Here are just a couple i HAVE pp'ed so far. Followed by a link to the gallery.

link to gallery http://photobucket.com/albums/v127/dwclifford/Motors%20ACDelco%20Dragway%204th%20Feb%202006/?

Hi David. Was this at Willowbank Raceway? I like to regularly go to WSID. I believe the top fuelers are racing this weekend. (http://www.wsid.com.au/default.asp?Page=Event&ID=94) Might check it out if the weather holds out.

For future shots I would try some slower shutter speeds (1/200s or less) and try panning. It will then give you a greater sense of movement and speed.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2006
    Chris_S wrote:
    Hi David. Was this at Willowbank Raceway? I like to regularly go to WSID. I believe the top fuelers are racing this weekend. (http://www.wsid.com.au/default.asp?Page=Event&ID=94) Might check it out if the weather holds out.

For future shots I would try some slower shutter speeds (1/200s or less) and try panning. It will then give you a greater sense of movement and speed.

Thanks for the suggestion Chris, I will give it a go the next time.

This was the local drag strip here in Tassie (about 50km's south of Launceston). I remember going to Willowbank in 1990, we dont get the same quantity of cars down here as you guys would up on the North Island.
    Cheers
    David Clifford
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    Great action there dave thumb.gif

Chris i was thinking about heading out to willow bank but wondered if they had camera nazis out there like almost every other sporting event in 0z ?
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2006
    Humungus wrote:

Chris i was thinking about heading out to willow bank but wondered if they had camera nazis out there like almost every other sporting event in 0z ?

Thanks Gus, I have just been emailing the organises to see if I can get track access for the next drag meet.
    Cheers
    David Clifford
  • Options
    Chris_SChris_S Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    Humungus wrote:

I've been to WSID many times and have had no problem bringing all my lenses and monopod. Of course I only have regular grandstand access.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Chris_S wrote:
    I've been to WSID many times and have had no problem bringing all my lenses and monopod. Of course I only have regular grandstand access.
    I just keep thinking how great a place to shoot it would be with them facing into the sun ...they do race into it late arvo dont they ? I used to take my bikes out there at night & for $20 we could get a few passes in.
  • Options
    jmknightsjmknights Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    Drag Racing in Lebanon NY... Just want to share link:
    David,
    Found your link doing a search looking for other photographers interested in drag racing. My wife and have a hobby and we both take drag racing photos. My website link:
    http://photosbyjim.smugmug.com/Cars
    49418342-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2006
    Hi there JK,

I am going to enjoy going through your galleries. Great shot here also. I am heading back to the drags here in March so hopefully will get some better action at that meeting.

Thanks for stopping by.
    Cheers
    David Clifford
  • Options
    David StevensDavid Stevens Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    :): In addition to the action I love to capture the poeple at these types of events.
    David L. Stevens
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2006
    :): In addition to the action I love to capture the poeple at these types of events.

Thanks for stopping by David, The next meeting in a couple of weeks I planning to capture more of the crowd and characters that attend these events. As well as the cars.
    Cheers
    David Clifford