Options

Wide Angle Braves Game

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited August 19, 2004 in Sports
Wide angle, uncropped unless otherwise stated. From the Braves game last week.

7414673-L.jpg

7414509-L.jpg

7414295-L.jpg

7368644-L.jpg

7413921-L.jpg

7368599-L.jpg

Cropped.
7300383-L.jpg

7414780-L.jpg
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• Options
    edited August 17, 2004
    Might as well put other wide angle shots here, rather than load-up the Challenge thread.

One from last night.

7413527-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Might as well put other wide angle shots here, rather than load-up the Challenge thread.

One from last night.
    Sid, if these were on the Challenge thread, I might respond thusly. I really like the top generic shot with the city in the background and the whole game laid out in front of us.

I do like the two men, but don't like the way it was shot, could you please reshoot.

I do not like the car front at all, never will like those.

Oh yes, there is a building, smallish, with a whole lot of empty space all around it. I love that one, just because I am ME. Probably would not be a lot of support there.

Too bad, I can't tell you that stuff, as I don't know about people's photos when they are being worked up somewhere else. Last week, and over the weekend, I went hunting, as I figured there was some frustration with the critique thread and that some of this stuff was "happening" elsewhere. Unfortunately I could not find the "elsewhere".

Through extreme boredom, and too much free time, I did find this thread here, others might not be so lucky.

Those of you who do not like the critique thread, do you have any suggestions. This is not really that effective. It only caters to the person doing the photos, his/her friends, IMO. These pockets are difficult to find.

I would put up my own BLOG here, but well, so far, have not dared.

ginger

Was going to add some pictures to the critique thread, but now I feel I should not clutter it up. I have tried starting other threads in the past. There my photos are virtually ignored, except for the nice people who purposely roam these halls looking to say a kind word or two to ignored threads/people. You all are very nice, but it is not a real "dialogue" or exchange of thoughts and ideas.

For sterility, I would go to FM (my own person place that I love to hate) :D

Gosh, Sid, would have love to have commented...........maybe you can read my thoughts, hehe.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2004
    Why are you hiding over here?
    wxwax wrote:

One from last night.

7413527-S.jpg

Hi Sid,
    Found you. Nice shots. I see some lines and curves as well as wide angle. I like no. 1, but the one you had in the official thread with the two people in front, I liked better. No.3, the black and white, I like a lot, but the bright white spot right at the top draws my eye. No. 5, very nice. The couple in foreground - good interest point, stadium looks great wide. The two guys together, I forget the number, I think the stadium is too blurry. The car front, not enough there. Too simple for you. All in all, think I like No. 5 the best.
    Oh, the little building. Good shot, but somehow it lacks something. Maybe a person. Maybe just another element. Seems bare. Doesn't hold my interest.
    Good work, as usual.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Hi Sid,
    Found you. Nice shots. I see some lines and curves as well as wide angle. I like no. 1, but the one you had in the official thread with the two people in front, I liked better. No.3, the black and white, I like a lot, but the bright white spot right at the top draws my eye. No. 5, very nice. The couple in foreground - good interest point, stadium looks great wide. The two guys together, I forget the number, I think the stadium is too blurry. The car front, not enough there. Too simple for you. All in all, think I like No. 5 the best.
    Oh, the little building. Good shot, but somehow it lacks something. Maybe a person. Maybe just another element. Seems bare. Doesn't hold my interest.
    Good work, as usual.
    The little bldg is memorable, I really like it, but it is a very individual appeal shot. I don' t need any people in it. Just me, like it, would not lead with it, though.

Where are your street people?

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2004
    Yup, I am just thinking, and it is IN!

The top one.

A cliche, but oh it is good! Great depth of field, love that I can see, am forced to see the flag clear across the field. The city, the city is there in tact. Don't see homeland security from where you are standing. You have a picture of what we in America are wanting.

America is there....................

(And the little bldg, but too limited in appeal, don't you think?)

ginger
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2004
    Yup waxy #1 is #1.

Tim
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2004
    Nice set Sid. I hope you don't mind, I did a variation of your up high, behind home plate idea ( see c&c thread). I found it frustrating trying to get interesting wide shots at the Braves game. It seems like more of telephoto venue. Good practice I suppose. I love the b&w with the horse thingy. I'm a real fan of contrasty b&W.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    tml, I saw your Braves shot. I was using a 16mm with a 1.3 magnification, you had a 17mm with a 1.6 magnification. Makes all the difference in the world, I see, in terms of getting the whole stadium and sky into the shot.

Ginger, I'm glad you like the last image, it's a favorite of mine as well. Snappy, thanks for the feedback, getting the lighting right on the couple shot took a lot of work - multiple RAW exposures and then some busy photochopping.

I like #1 best of all, tho I have a soft spot for the last image, the light hut in the darkness.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    7457108-L.jpgSid, Here is the widest shot I got. I wish I had gotten closer to the two fans and angled up a little more to include the sky, but the sky was already dark by the time I got up there and I was a little shy about cozing up right behind them.

7457107-L.jpg

7457109-L.jpg

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    tml photo
    7457108-S.jpg

Thomas, is this one of fans, or is that a TV camera?

I tried to get a TV camera shot, but the lighting was almost impossible, and I wasn't able to get a good position for a shot.

wxwax photo
    7397789-L.jpg

I had to do a lot of photochopping just to get this lousy quality. I'd add this to my to-do list for the next visit to the ol' ballpark... but I'm not sure where to go to get a better TV camera shot. A daytime game is a definite possibility.

OK, I can see that you have the wide angle for a stadium shot -
    tml photo
    7457107-S.jpg
    I may go back and try this shot again, but with more daylight in the sky. We both have that dark area in the foreground.

tml photo
    7457109-S.jpg
    I like this shot, prolly needs something (a kid?) in the foreground, but this is a cool looking shot.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    tml photo
    7457108-S.jpg

Thomas, is this one of fans, or is that a TV camera?

I tried to get a TV camera shot, but the lighting was almost impossible, and I wasn't able to get a good position for a shot.

wxwax photo
    7397789-L.jpg

I had to do a lot of photochopping just to get this lousy quality. I'd add this to my to-do list for the next visit to the ol' ballpark... but I'm not sure where to go to get a better TV camera shot. A daytime game is a definite possibility.

OK, I can see that you have the wide angle for a stadium shot -
    tml photo
    7457107-S.jpg
    I may go back and try this shot again, but with more daylight in the sky. We both have that dark area in the foreground.

tml photo
    7457109-S.jpg
    I like this shot, prolly needs something (a kid?) in the foreground, but this is a cool looking shot.
    Yes, the top one is the camera man. I should have waited around until he was aiming at the outfield so you could see it was a camera, but it was starting to rain (see the green camera cover).

Your right about the kid. I'm still not comfortable asking people to pose, but a kid in the bottom left would have been great. Maybe some serious photoshopping :). Ithink you are right about the light. Getting the wide stadium shots would be alot better before sundown. Next time I'll shoot first and then watch the game.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2004
    Sid...3 and 4 are awesome.

7414295-S.jpg

7368644-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    Thanks, damonff, you're very kind. 1drink.gif

tml, I didn't watch the game at all, last time I was there. I immediately began roaming. I went through 3.5 gig of memory cards, shooting 4pm RAW images.

Next time, I'll do the following: take a tripod and do the horizon shot with a smaller aperature; get there in time to shoot while there's daylight; reshoot the lonely fan shot, and make sure the person is in focus, not the seats; get the kids running the basepaths either in daylight, or with a flash - there's gold in them thar basepath; see if I can get a better TV cameraman shot.

Les Expos are in town in early September, that should leave lots of empty seats and pressure-free roaming. :D
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Yes, the top one is the camera man. I should have waited around until he was aiming at the outfield so you could see it was a camera, but it was starting to rain (see the green camera cover).

Your right about the kid. I'm still not comfortable asking people to pose, but a kid in the bottom left would have been great. Maybe some serious photoshopping :). Ithink you are right about the light. Getting the wide stadium shots would be alot better before sundown. Next time I'll shoot first and then watch the game.
    Thomas, I read a long time ago that most "night" scenics are not done at night.
    Gotta get that magic moment.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks, damonff, you're very kind. 1drink.gif

tml, I didn't watch the game at all, last time I was there. I immediately began roaming. I went through 3.5 gig of memory cards, shooting 4pm RAW images.

Next time, I'll do the following: take a tripod and do the horizon shot with a smaller aperature; get there in time to shoot while there's daylight; reshoot the lonely fan shot, and make sure the person is in focus, not the seats; get the kids running the basepaths either in daylight, or with a flash - there's gold in them thar basepath; see if I can get a better TV cameraman shot.

Les Expos are in town in early September, that should leave lots of empty seats and pressure-free roaming. :D
    Waxy, the cameraman I shot was up beside the basepaths. I don't know if I'll get the chance to make another game, but hope to get up to some UGA games this fall. I've got to go ahead and get some heavy glass soon. :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2004
    7300383-M.jpg

Far and away this is my favorite shot of the bunch. This is hilarious. Looks like a serious showdown is about to go down here.

>enter the oooeeeooooeeeeooooo whistle from The Good, The Bad & The Ugly here<

Ha! Awesome.

Doug