Options

Ying & Yang/Human nature theme

vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
edited February 8, 2006 in Technique
Hi

I'm trying to create a Ying & Yang/human nature theme ie dark side & light side.

I posted the Dark side here & got some great feedback (Txs!)

54841900-M.jpg

Now I'm working on the Light side, but am having problems getting the effect I want with the basic setup I have. I want to be able to have all the detail sharp & clear on the left handside (opposite side to the Dark Side pic), with the rest washed out by the white.

Here's what I've got so far:

55364342-M.jpg

It was lit from the right by a small halogen angle poise & WB was on Flourescent. Its not quite the effect I want. I do have a basic studio flash set up, but wasn't sure whether that would give what I want either.

I want the white to be as emotive & mysterious as the dark, a sensual, romantic effect.

Any suggestions gratefully received

Thanks
Nicola
Nicola
Iconic Creative
http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
Raghu Rai

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    what do I know? I would like to see more room around the "light side". It looks just too cramped to me.

I love the dark side.

I think it may be the guilding around the light side that lends to the cramped feeling.........the dark side kind of blends out and the light side can't do that!

really good idea, coming together.........I hope.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    what do I know? I would like to see more room around the "light side". It looks just too cramped to me.

I love the dark side.

I think it may be the guilding around the light side that lends to the cramped feeling.........the dark side kind of blends out and the light side can't do that!

really good idea, coming together.........I hope.

ginger
    Thanks Ginger. What I was hoping for as well, was if someone could suggest a better lighting set up for me to try, the best place to set the lights & what sort of aperture to set things at etc. This was shot at F11 with wb set to flouresecnt, ISO 200 on a tripod lit from the right with a small halogen lamp. Would a flash set up work better? I have one flashhead(Portaflash) that I can use with a white brolly but also 2 barn doors (also Portaflash) & a small freestanding slave flash, but not 100% sure how to set them up to get the effect I want.
    Thanks
    Nicola
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai